Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2  (Read 76055 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2
« Reply #360 on: June 22, 2011, 01:27:57 am »
And good news Nicole - may it continue!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #361 on: June 22, 2011, 19:51:24 pm »
Thought this was relevant and helps perspective:
http://youtu.be/EPhZoN4vaj4

I mean, extremes, but it shows how bad it can get.

DH was like that.  He literally refused to eat, no matter what was placed in front of him.  PB and Marmite is all he would eat...

So I thank our lucky stars that F eats what he does!
The tweaking never stops!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #362 on: June 22, 2011, 20:10:47 pm »
DS is really bad too. He will SCREAM at food if it's not what he wants. I'm trying to slowly expand his diet, but it's not easy. But that is really extreme, yea!

On a good note, he did have two pigs in a blanket (yay protein) and most of a soy yogurt at lunch today. And for breakfast three of my homemade silver dollar pancakes (goat's milk and half whole wheat flour) and a piece of bacon.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #363 on: June 23, 2011, 03:10:16 am »
So I just made a lovely brisket for tomorrow night (brisket is better made in advance and reheated), plus will be tons of leftovers. I do make a mean one, if I say so myself. Anyway, back when DS was like one, he loved the stuff, couldn't get enough of it. But now, of course I'm sure he won't try it. Any suggestions? I'm sure he'd like it if only he'd try it! He's still much less verbal than most kids his age, so no help there...

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #364 on: June 23, 2011, 11:05:16 am »
Karen, can you come over and make us some brisket?  lol  We love it but it's not common here and hard to find the right cut of beef.  More of an US thing I think, but DH being partly American knows all about it! 

I find that F is more willing to try things if they are cut into tiny pieces.  But he is much younger than your DS so not sure if that is an issue with you or not.  I will gladly take his portion if he doesn't want it.  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #365 on: June 23, 2011, 12:42:57 pm »
LOL Martina - come over anytime for brisket feast!

See that used to work with Matthew but not anymore. If anything he tends to like big pieces of things but only of things he wants/recognizes, etc. And he refuses to use a fork or let me feed him anything unless it's soup, yogurt or sometimes applesauce...

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #366 on: June 23, 2011, 13:43:47 pm »
What makes brisket 'brisket'?  I don't think I even know what it is!

Anyone got a good applesauce recipe to share?  I got some organic apples...now what lol  I was buying the store brand but I figure it's got to be easy to make right?  He likes applesauce and sometimes we have that in the mornings.

He ate well yesterday she said, although cried at lunch because he missed DH and I.  But didn't seem to affect his appetite in the end!

I think we might be starting to come out the other side of this - he's doing so much better lately.

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #367 on: June 23, 2011, 13:49:17 pm »
What makes brisket 'brisket'?  I don't think I even know what it is!
It's a particular cut of meat/beef from the chest area.  It tends to be tougher (lots of connective tissue), which is why it's slow-roasted, smoked, moist cooked, etc. to break it all down and tenderize.  Mmmm...it's so yummy, though!! :D

We're doing OK here.  He hasn't wanted much for breakfast lately, which is weird for him.  But otherwise, eating lots of a very select group of things ::)  It's taco salad night tonight...we'll see how he does :P
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #368 on: June 23, 2011, 13:50:09 pm »
Brisket is a cut of meat from the breast or lower chest of beef. Very common in Jewish cuisine, also in BBQ I believe. It always involves slow and moist cooking methods to make it tender and is better made a day in advance and reheated. I tend to loosely follow this recipe, with a few adaptations. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/passover-brisket-recipe/index.html

Awesome with Finn's eating! Wish i could say the same... He seems hungry lately but not eating any better...

As for applesauce, I've made this one before - easy! http://www.food.com/recipe/quick-homemade-applesauce-no-sugar-added-201473

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #369 on: June 23, 2011, 13:54:58 pm »
(lots of connective tissue)

It's things like this sentence that make me want to become a vegetarian at times lol  But you are right, yum!  It sounds almost like pulled pork which I also love :-)

We just started sending breakfast to the new daycare.  He eats all of it there and takes as much time as he needs.  It's great!  Otherwise we were lucky to get a yogurt into him.

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #370 on: June 23, 2011, 14:00:55 pm »
It's things like this sentence that make me want to become a vegetarian at times lol  But you are right, yum!  It sounds almost like pulled pork which I also love :-)
I know...I don't think about it all that much, but honestly, I don't mind.  I LOVE pulled pork, too, though brisket doesn't have the same smooth texture.  Found a pork shoulder recipe that I am dying to try.  But A probably won't even try it.  Ugh!
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #371 on: June 23, 2011, 15:45:42 pm »
I LOVE pulled pork, and I LOVE brisket!!  LOL  It's hard to find the right cut to make brisket here.  DH is always complaining that he can never find it!  Didn't know it was a Jewish thing though, maybe that is why DH likes it so much as he is part Jewish.  lol

Wendy, glad things are improving!

I never used a particular recipe for applesauce.  Would just cook up the apples and add a bunch of cinnamon and nutmeg, then just blend it up!  But I don't like applesauce myself, only for the boys.  :P
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #372 on: June 23, 2011, 16:04:58 pm »
I've never had pork shoulder!

Making these cookies with DD today - though omitting the coconut (don't have any in the house). At least can get some protein into DS and they have less sugar and all. Going to use sunflower butter instead though as PB makes him poop too much.  http://www.dailyunadventuresincooking.com/recipe/healthy-peanut-butter-coconut-oatmeal/

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #373 on: June 23, 2011, 16:25:39 pm »
I think I have all those ingredients in the house, even the coconut!  So might have to make those cookies too today since it's supposed to rain this afternoon.  ;)  Wish I had some chocolate chips to put in them though, but must remind myself they are for the kids and not me!  LOL
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #374 on: June 23, 2011, 17:29:49 pm »
We're having farmers market chicken pot pie tonight.  Yum!

Karen that recipe looks dead easy, thanks.  Have you tried it?  Would it work with lemon juice instead?  I don't want to buy a whole lemon for two slices and then it not get used up!