Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2  (Read 76076 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2
« Reply #180 on: May 16, 2011, 18:37:48 pm »
Yea, I have NO problem at all with Matthew wanting so much bread either BUT I wish he'd eat some protein with it!

Now I'm craving croissants....
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #181 on: May 16, 2011, 22:33:16 pm »
my newest find for protein...edamame, Jake LOVES them and they are so healthy. Sometimes if I need a quick dinner, just give him a ton of those and a yogurt. He can`t get enough (sometimes I wonder if maybe it is too much, is that possible)
Jacob, my little monkey - 03/19/2008
Owen, my gerber baby -  09/03/2010

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2011, 05:17:10 am »
Returning to sulk on here with you  ::). I have been here many times before with DS, but Megan isn't doing so well these days either  ::). Although i suspect Megan meets essential nutrients - she is a meat and fruit junkie - not keen on carbs really (odd, hey?!). But is still on 2-3 bottles and is a VERY determined spoon refuser. Veggies are pretty difficult.

DS is very picky and always has been. Is developing a very sweet tooth and I am losing a lot pf previously eaten foods again. Mainly fruit which is sad.

Hoping to get some new ideas on here. Both of mine are 'dry food' kids too.

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2011, 11:49:13 am »
Liz, Megan sounds a bit like Sam although he doesn't like fruit (except in a puree when he is not refusing it) and has warmed up to carbs a bit.  He is a chicken (nuggets specifically) and cheese addict.  Veggies have been very difficult for us lately.  He had been taking some in a puree, but is refusing it now, so that is not helping.  Does she like yogurt? If so, YoBaby makes yogurts with fruit and veggie puree at the bottom (but if she is refusing the spoon now that might not help).  Sam is refusing the spoon for the most part, but usually can't resist yogurt :).  Will she eat scrambled eggs? I sometimes put some cauliflower puree or butternut squash in them to get some veggies into him.  You could try that if she eats them.  Also, if you make her breaded chicken, if you coat it in egg first, you could add some veggie puree to that.  Even when I do that, I still offer cut up fruits and veggies on their own in hopes that he will just try them.  Strongly believe it's a texture thing for him.

We are in the same boat where we have very little variety in Sam's diet and certain categories of food that he just will not eat (ie veggies).  Sadly, I feel like it's a mini victory if he just picks up a blueberry or a carrot LOL.  One thing I have noticed, however, is that he is more willing to try new things when we are out or even when we are not in an "eating setting".  I was eating a multigrain rice cake the other day while he was playing and he came over and was staring at it, so I offered some to him. He ate quite a bit of it.  (I put the same rice cake on his high chair tray the next day and he wouldn't touch it).  So, I think I might try offering him some new foods when he is not sitting in his highchair for a meal or snack.  Who knows if it will work, but I'll just keep trying.

The other day DH told me that he feels very badly for me because I try so hard with Sam's meals and he just won't budge and that I look so defeated. It's very true!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2011, 11:54:02 am »
Liz, while I don't like seeing you on threads like this, I do love crossing paths with you!  ;D

It's funny how they have their little food groups they do like.  T is more of a carbs man, but F hardly touches them.  ::)

So last night for dinner I made homemade mac n cheese and threw in some carrots, brocoli, asparagus, and celery.  It was a hit with T, he ate a bunch which was nice to see!  But F barely touched it.  ::)  F loves plain, medium cheddar but seems to shun cheese in any other form.  :P

This morning we had some whole wheat blueberry pancakes and strawberries.  Barely touched by either of them.  sigh
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2011, 11:55:50 am »
Day starting poorly here - seems like teeth bugging him (two eye teeth still coming through/moving down) and he keeps acting hungry gut then shoving too much in his mouth and then crying and pulling it out and not eating. He did it so far with waffle and pancake and part of a bagel. Just gave Tylenol - will try for an early lunch today.

Hi Liz! Does M like cantaloupe? Fruit but a GREAT source of Vitamin A (like veggies are). Will she do homemade pizza? That's how I get lots of veggies into DS. Veggies can also be finely chopped or pureed and added to meatballs or meatloaf since she's a meat lover...

Sorry for the rough morning Martina!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2011, 19:29:04 pm »
thought I would share an actual good moment...today jake had a small bowl of cereal with milk, about 5-6 strawberries, a couple of blueberries, yogurt tube, 2 eggs with cheese, half a piece of toast, and some milk/chocolate milk... still haven't had dinner! so happy today! (If i could get him to eat some veggies... but not complaining.. still a good day.)
Jacob, my little monkey - 03/19/2008
Owen, my gerber baby -  09/03/2010

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #187 on: May 17, 2011, 19:37:33 pm »
Woohoo!  That's great, oe :)  It's the little things, isn't it?
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2011, 19:52:30 pm »
WTG!

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2011, 19:59:23 pm »
That is great, oe!!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2011, 12:19:03 pm »
I added that link to my favorites so I can go back and check it out later.  ;)

So last night I made those breakfast cookies.  DH and I thought they were yummy.  ;)  F scarfed his down this morning, T took one bite and asked for a chocolate cookie!  ::)  I think that all cookies will have to go, healthy or unhealthy, because as long as he sees cookie he wants the bad ones!  :P  Well, I'll keep offering.  He might eat one as a snack or before bed.  At least F (and DH and I) like them so they will get eated. 

Last night we had spaghetti, neither boy touched it but T ate a bunch of cucumber.  :P
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2011, 14:21:28 pm »
Thanks ladies - tried cantaloupe - she flung it  ::). She is a big food thrower as well ATM, I know it is just a phase, but god it is a PITA. I'm sure she will eat it if she is given it often enough though - she really is a complete fruit junkie  :P.

Flung most of her snack, flung most of her lunch, but then ate a load of my left over pea risotto off a fork  :o. I suspect she needs a wider range of wider flavours, but DS is such a plain dry kid that i tend to cook in that direction rather than end up making 3000 different meals.

She will nibble pizza, DS won't touch it  ::).

Managed to get J through the morning without getting any rubbish off anyone. That in itself is a feat - I try to make sure snacks are healthy but he often gets stuff off DH or my parents - and I'm not going to go getting mad at them about it at the moment as I depend on them too much for support to go doing that.

Megan does like pancakes - I must make her some - DS doesn't like them so I tend to forget  ::). Good idea  ;D.

Potatoes, chicken, carrots and gravy tonight. Wish us luck  :P.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2011, 14:24:44 pm »
Well I'm glad you and DH and F liked them and maybe T will go for it next time!

Going to try a grilled cheese (goat's cheese) with a bit of turkey ham added at lunch today. We'll see what happens!

Good luck Liz!

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2011, 14:35:37 pm »
Good luck, Liz! :-*  That's amazing that Megan ate your risotto!  Act on it and fast, lol!  Oh, and fwiw, Aaron loves fruit, too, but does not like cantalope in the least.  Nor watermelon.  At least he likes bananas, strawberries, and blueberries (I consider them like the trifecta of super-fruits). :)
*formerly tersaseda*