Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2  (Read 75933 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2
« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2011, 17:10:11 pm »
Thanks Nicole. Bringing him in to the doctor in an hour or so - he's getting this same viral thing way too often - like 2-3 times a month!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #241 on: May 31, 2011, 17:12:20 pm »
*hugs* Sarah and Karen :(

We're still kind of hit or miss here.  He's doing this thing lately where he brings his food up to his tongue, tastes it first and then will eat it or not.  And then, if it manages to make it into his mouth, if he doesn't like it, doesn't like the texture, or (most frustratingly) even if he DOES like it but he sees something else he wants more, he will spit out his food.  Grr!  Just swallow it already.  Sheesh ::)  On a high note for the weekend, he tried and ate 1/3-1/2 of a hot dog...so a small triumph bc he tried something new.  LOL, doesn't mean he'll eat it again though, right?

*hugs* for you all!

*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #242 on: May 31, 2011, 17:42:09 pm »
Hey, hugs to you ladies. Karen, so sorry that your son is sick..it's been a hard run for him this year :(

With Z..I don't know what it is. She's okay eating the textures and things new. I just don't know what it is. She had breakfast before 9. One banana french toast ..then I just gave her a few carrots, a slice of apple, and a box of raisins but that was all bw 9 and 12. 3 hours! And then no lunch..until finally at 12:30ish she ate two of those mini muffins that I mentioned that I made. Whatever..she ate something. I have honestly relaxed so much since she's started all these shenanigans but it would be so nice if she just ATE. lol. Just eat! *shakes her head*

*Sarah*

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #243 on: May 31, 2011, 17:47:20 pm »
Good luck at the doctor Karen.

I don't know why F doesn't eat either.  It doesn't seem to be about taste or texture with him.  He's just never hungry or something.  The throwing is what really gets to me though.  I mean if you don't want something fine, but don't hurl it at me!  ::)  I would so love to give him a plate or a bowl of something and some cutlery and just let him go at it, but I don't because everytime I try he picks up the whole dish and tosses it over the side.  I know it's a learning thing but I am so over cleaning food up off the floor!  I give him cutlery, that usually ends up on the ground too.  ::)

Today though he surprised me and ate some oatmeal with his hands.  I've tried before and he wouldn't eat it, I assumed maybe it was too slimy.  Today he shoved a whole bunch in, so that was promising at least!

And T....we'll he's just an almost 3yo.  We'll just leave it at that, lol.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #244 on: May 31, 2011, 19:08:43 pm »
What if you cut back the snack (maybe take out the raisins)? Would she eat more?

Back from doctor... coxsackie
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #245 on: May 31, 2011, 21:12:50 pm »
Oh no Karen!!  More (((hugs))) for M!!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Jiinx

« Reply #246 on: June 01, 2011, 00:56:16 am »
I try that but i think her blood sugar gets really low mid morning and she gets really whiny. I've reverted to trying to really get her active before lunch and such. :)

But yes, very minimal snacks. That works most times!

She had a good dinner this evening, thankfully. She doesn't like sitting in her highchair. Our kitchen table is pushed against a window ledge so she walks, sits and takes bites while she walks on the chair that I share with her. ::) Honestly.

ETA:so sorry K!!!:(
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:09:02 am by Jiinx »
*Sarah*

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #247 on: June 01, 2011, 01:04:06 am »
Minimal snacks here as well or else they just don't eat at meals. ::)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #248 on: June 01, 2011, 02:46:57 am »
Thanks guys. My poor little man tried to eat some pasta (the rest of us were having honey-mustard chicken, pasta and salad) but only had four bites before deciding to stop (perhaps the sauce was too acidic on the mouth sores)? Anyway, after the ibuprofen kicked in he ate two of my homemade pancakes (half whole wheat flour, goat's milk) so that was good at least. Meals are painful though - he is so uncomfortable!

Sarah - what if you move up lunch instead? So if she's hungry around 11 just do an early lunch? I do that sometimes! But otherwise, no worries - her snacks sound super healthy anyway!

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #249 on: June 01, 2011, 11:30:38 am »
Sorry to hear your DS is so uncomfortable, Karen :(.  Many hugs to you and him.

What kind of snacks (and snack sizes) do you recommend for a 14 month old? I have been struggling with that a bit.  Because he has been so picky lately, I had tried to really cut out snacks unless he ate nothing at a meal, but, funny you're mentioning the low blood sugar thing because I read that that could be a cause of fussiness mid-morning and late afternoon and thought it may be what's going on here.  He has been really crabby lately, and I've been attributing it to his teeth, but the increased level of crabbiness coincided with him starting to walk and I think it's because he is low on energy at certain points in the day.  So I'm doing snacks again (and it's helping quite a bit with the fussiness), but I don't want to affect his meals.  I know it's a silly question, but any thoughts? 

Thanks!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #250 on: June 01, 2011, 11:45:41 am »
I really struggle with thinking of healthy snacks that aren't too filling!  :P  Fruit is usually a good one, but they already eat so much fruit at breakfast and lunch.  They don't like raw veggies.  I usually settle for a healthy cereal bar, some dried fruit, or some dry cereal. 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #251 on: June 01, 2011, 13:18:14 pm »
Fruit is usually a good one, but they already eat so much fruit at breakfast and lunch.  They don't like raw veggies.  I usually settle for a healthy cereal bar, some dried fruit, or some dry cereal.
Same here!  Goldfish, Gerber's yogurt bites, pieces of cheese, yogurt, crackers (with peanut butter if he can tolerate it)...really, I just use whatever I have laying around.  Aaron only gets 1 snack time--it's after his nap, to tide him over until dinner; so I let him eat a bit more.

Sarah, we don't do a snack in the AM either.  His lunch is ~11:30 (with breakfast between 7:30-8).  If he DOES ask for an AM snack and is just ravenous, we'll give it to him earlier, like ~9:30 or 10.  IT might push lunch back to ~12.

Karen, I'm so sorry hear about M :(  Poor guy :(
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Jiinx

« Reply #252 on: June 01, 2011, 17:26:26 pm »
Sara! Wow, really? He's okay with that gap? I just figured it's a good opportunity to give her fruits or veggies as I don't give them to her during her meals..unless it's veggies in the meal and fruits are best before a meal, but she would fill up on that. Hmm I'll try limiting that..
*Sarah*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #253 on: June 01, 2011, 23:47:12 pm »
Well that was horrible. I realize he's sick but come on... This morning he screamed at the square waffle (I'm trying to switch him over from round ones cause I want to buy a four-slice square waffle iron and start making them at home) and would only eat the usual multigrain (dairy free) round one. And of course had a lot of his smoothie. Then no lunch before his nap. After his nap he had only 3 bites of his veggie pizza and only wanted pistachio nuts (and more smoothie). Refused dinner completely. Fish burger (which I knew he wouldn't eat), sweet potato fries and raisin toast all refused. Offer a pre-bedtime option of oatmeal or yogurt, both refused. He asked for a waffle, I told him no and he went to bed with a totally empty stomach. Sigh.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #254 on: June 02, 2011, 00:05:11 am »
Hugs Karen, I hate knowing they went to bed after hardly eating anything.  :(

Can you make square waffles in your waffle iron but then cut them into round ones maybe?

Meh day here.  One day they will eat me out of the house and I'll be complaining about the grocery bill!  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010