Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2  (Read 76088 times)

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 11:29:37 am »
M@rking
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:05:19 pm »
Hi Karen! M.arking myself alongside with you! :)
*Sarah*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:39:22 am »
Had a better day today but still refusing all fruit other than apple slices. So weird since he used to INHALE blueberries, strawberries, bananas, etc. Hoping more fruits return as they start to come back in season in a few months...

Sarah - did you ever try the chicken noodle soup?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jiinx

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:59:39 am »
Oh Karen..sorry he's not on the fruits yet. i'm hoping he will :-* Have you tried something he hasn't ever had for some time? watermelon...or mangoes? Mind you, I know it's not in season much right now.

I am lazy. I have to go and buy a whole chicken. That way I can use the neck, wings etc for the stock and then make the chicken soup! I'm excited to do it though bc I'm on a soup thing right now. I may add some barely or other stuff to make it a bit more healthier.

Were your los picky about the utensils/cups that they use? She would refuse yogurt but if I gave her another spoon she'll eat it. Or she won't drink her milk..but if I give her another cup that she hasn't seen for awhile, she'll drink from it ::) Seriously?
*Sarah*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 02:27:16 am »
Can't do watermelon - have to stay away from the whole gourd family (too bad since he did like cantaloupe before we discovered that). Never did like mangoes - he did like peaches but can't get those of course right now.

Mmmmm barley would be really yummy in it. Or lentils or even farro?

And YES on the utensils - though DD was more that way. Well actually she was more that way with the utensils - with her cups, milk HAD to be in the same one all the time (washed a lot with extras) and juice in one of two other cups. Crazy girl. Whereas DS doesn't care too much which spoon I use but will often drink better from a different cup.

Offline irishprettykitty

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • The best surprise a mum could ask for
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 19:15:49 pm »
anyone elses kid addicted to pesto? He is on a phase of eating only risotto (mushroom) and carbonara with pesto and bacon. We can usually sneak some veggies in but he refuses to deviate. on day two of the hunger strike. I made fish pie and even tried mixing it with pesto and he refused to even try it.
Do I give in or keep trying?
Monster Finn: Spirted/touchy with reflux and ASD
Pumpkin: our lost little girl: tiny angel now 1/4/09
Princess Saoirse: spirited textbook with reflux and nails to rival any cat!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 19:44:12 pm »
Pesto is a good one though - you can usually sneak kale or spinach in with the greens - no? I might have to try that, though my picky eater is currently on a pasta strike...

Offline Jiinx

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 19:46:48 pm »
hey irishprettykitty. You could keep trying. I'm not that persistent bc of wastefulness..

It's so hard putting food in this girl. I'm not sure if she's picky or just uninterested in food *shrug*

I still haven't made the chicken soup - can you imagine?? I need to still get my chicken order from the butcher ;D

*Sarah*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 19:49:10 pm »
Sarah - we are at an all time low here. Started a new post actually a few minutes ago. Doesn't help that he's sick AGAIN. Hugs to you...

Offline irishprettykitty

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 20:51:19 pm »
I an usually get brocolli into him and sometimes spinach.Maybe even peas and green beans at a push but right now its mushroom risotto and bacon... thats it! today he refused his porridge, toast, fruit, yoghurt, fish pie EVERYTHING except of course chocolate. Amazing how he can always try chocolate no matter what wrapper its in.

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 11:54:24 am »
Hi Ladies! Can I join? I have a "selective" eater these days! I'm unsure whether it's the whole 18month wonky thing or it's just this way now?
B Generally ref all fruit and veg on it's own and can sometimes ref meat and carbs too.
There's no consistancy to his likes or dislikes...
One day he'll eat a healthy chicken casserole with mashed carrot and sweet potato, the next day will spit it out! Who knows! The only way I manage real fruit is to mash up strawberries and mix it in with strawberry flavoured yogurt, then there's the "artificial" stuff in the yogurt any way! Does that deplete the real strawberry
anyway?

I think my boy's "thing" is more texture than taste? He enjoys pastries ie spinich fetta pastry roll or Mini quiche's or toasted cheese, avocado and tomato SW's. Yet won't eat an omelete or spinich and fetta mix on it's own or eat tomato on it's own?
He also doesn't eat in crowds, new peoples places or in his high chair
or at our dinner table- Yet he'll eat next to me on the floor or coffee table?
Another thing is he eats breakfast in the car which is usually a musli bar or 2 plus water and juice! If I offer this in his chair or while I eat my breakfast he refs it!

Tonight he ate a healthy dinner with chicken and veggies yay! Who knows what tomorrow will bring? He used to eat quite well and tried new tastes now if I offer a new taste and he doesn't like it he flips!!! Hmmmm.
*Alice*

Offline irishprettykitty

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 11:46:32 am »
we are up to toast and yoghurts! its a small improvement but hurray! progress.
He also ate a granola bar yesterday. Wish me luck for dinner tonight. its chicken, mushroom and brocolli pie! can be hot or miss

Offline Dankas

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 19:49:33 pm »
Hello Ladies (and gentlemen? hmmm)
Can I join this thread please? Me and DH are in a state of despair at our 2 year old's eating. Today he ate: Nothing. Actually nothing at all. I even tried to give him a chocolate bar in the end in desperation, but he didn't want that. Admittedly he's just getting over the flu, but this is just a continuation of what was happening when he was well. And he's a diddy little thing as it is. I'm really worried it's because of something we've done ie associated dinner time with the wrong behaviour etc, but I don't think so. We always try and eat together and eat the same thing but at the moment nothing makes any difference. But maybe our silent stress is permeating the meal...?? (although maybe me rhythmically banging my head into the dining table isn't such a good idea :o)

Brock's mummy - my DS sounds very like your DS - totally inconsistent with his likes and dislikes which is unlike most picky eater I know (my friends DS will only eat cheese and apples which she's despairing at also but I think that's nice and healthy, as well as quite a discerning choice, as opposed to NOTHING).
Anyway I was just looking for a place of solidarity with other mums - nice to electronically meet you all!

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 20:40:10 pm »
Hi Dankas!
my DS sounds very like your DS - totally inconsistent with his likes and dislikes which is unlike most picky eater I know (my friends DS will only eat cheese and apples which she's despairing at also but I think that's nice and healthy, as well as quite a discerning choice, as opposed to NOTHING).

This is true! At least he eats - but everything has to be 100% right, the situation, and the temp of the meal, the meal itself! I remember once his spinach roll was a nice warm temp (so I thought) but he flipped out... He knew what it was and was excited about it! Then bang! 'No' he said. 1/2 an hour mins later he ate the whole thing COLD! How am I so posed to know sometimes he likes cold food! It is a hit and a miss. He's always been touchy/spirited but seems to be getting touchier as he grows.

We have had days where he has only had milk and water... Which worries me.
Apparently I was a "selective eater" but I'm small so maybe my body type didn't "need" it??
My boy is really Big (as far as the charts go) and eats 1/2 as much as toddlers his age yet continues to put weight on and grow! I would've thought he needs more due to his size?
Who knows? But if B was tiny I would worry myself sick, I know my mum did with me, I worry a lot – everyone thinks I’m mad and says he’s fine. It’s still hard though.
So I guess I have nothing to "complain" about?
Hugs to all those mums of picky eaters xxx
*Alice*