Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4  (Read 65818 times)

Offline C&B&E

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4
« Reply #390 on: October 21, 2012, 22:06:01 pm »
Bec - it sound like we're in a similar position.  Ev still wakes at least once per night for a feed, and we are dreading trying to sort it out as she is so ridiculously spirited that she will scream for hours rather than give in!!  We are going to attempt it this week though as I am so sick of being up at 3am - particularly because I can't get back to sleep afterwards  ::).  When we do any night time sleep training DH always goes to bed at 8pm so that he gets an ok amount of sleep overall - would that work for you guys?

On a side note - I can't believe all his teeth! E is almost 16 months and has one and a bit teeth through  :P

Claire x

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #391 on: October 21, 2012, 23:44:24 pm »
When we do any night time sleep training DH always goes to bed at 8pm so that he gets an ok amount of sleep overall - would that work for you guys?
We're both HSN ourselves... we already go to bed at 8pm :-[ 

I'll cheer you on if you decide to go for it, Claire! It's frustrating isn't it! :-*

she is so ridiculously spirited that she will scream for hours rather than give in!! 
This is what I struggle with, TBH. We were on night SIX and that was when he screamed for 3hr straight :( and that wasn't even with me in the room.

I was all steamed up when I posted before but in reality I just can't face the hours of screaming and the night terrors that come with the OT that results from such a long NW. I guess maybe I see meds to stop my milk as the easy way out ::) because then there's just nothing there and he'll twig that there's no point him waking rather than me saying no despite soaking through two face washers and two padded nursing bras and being in pain from the engorgement.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #392 on: October 22, 2012, 03:15:12 am »
Yeah- i agree with erin's very formal analysis of the situation- do it when you're ready, and that it's wort it! Am totally understanding of people feeding in the night.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #393 on: October 22, 2012, 07:50:10 am »
My boys were always much more amenable to being resettled without feeding earlier in the night and even now I resettle Colby before 4 or 5am and only feed after that. Would that work for you Bec? And I actually find it better to resettle Colby myself because he seems to panic if DH tends to him since he is more used to me. Maybe L would be the same and you staying away actually meant he cried for longer because he was worrying where you were. Cadan was the opposite and DH did the NF weaning more easily. I think it depends on the LO and also how used to it they are for Daddy to put them to sleep. So DH aways put Cadan to bed at BT whereas it is I who puts Colby in the cot.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline becj86

« Reply #394 on: October 22, 2012, 08:44:33 am »
It doesn't seem to matter if its me or DH TBH :( He just wants milk and mummy-snuggles but mummy-snuggles only will not suffice.

Thing is, he pushed all his NF's out on his own when he was younger and he STTN for 5-6 months from 6 months til 11.5 months then I started a little feed at 5am and its snowballed from there. I guess I feel like its my fault we're in this position too.

Well, I guess I've proven to myself that I'm not ready ;) Thanks for helping me talk it through, lovelies :-*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #395 on: October 22, 2012, 08:59:55 am »
LOL! It won't be forever....
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #396 on: October 22, 2012, 09:29:49 am »
There is no point in trying any sort of sleep training when you're not ready.  In my experience, once you are ready it's fairly straight forward - and with my 3 it is like they have know that I really meant it and it hasn't been too difficult.  I tried sleep training e when she was about 1, and she screamed solidly for 4 hours, 2 nights in a row, at which point I came to the conclusion that she had more stamina than I did. :P I decided that it wasn't worth that to get her to sleep through, but when I did it at 18 months, the first night she cried for 1.5h, the second she whimpered for about 45 minutes and the third night she woke up, squeaked once, and went back to sleep!  With m (who was an angel baby) all it took was me telling my friends in the morning that enough was enough and I wasn't feeding her at night any more and she never woke up in the night again! :P

If you do want to give it a go, do you think it is worth trying giving him a bottle of water? The theory is that it fills their tummies but in the long run it's not worth waking up for so they give up of their own accord.  Haven't tried it myself, and I'm fairly sure I know what x would say if I tried giving him water instead of milk, but a lot of people say it works.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #397 on: October 22, 2012, 09:41:49 am »
See- we do the water trick, but offered it in a cup. It worked to a degree- in that the wakings have reduced- but he will now ask for a 'drink' any time he does wake!! Not sure if it's an issue or not... ::)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #398 on: November 02, 2012, 13:43:14 pm »
Audrey makes kissy noises if she's eating something really yummy... she's started breaking off nursing to let me know that it's really yummy. :-* :-* ;D

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #399 on: November 02, 2012, 13:44:51 pm »
Awww, so cute!!!
*Nuala*

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #400 on: November 02, 2012, 19:08:03 pm »
Sweet.  I got myself ready for feeding D tonight before bed and she just walked up to me and tried to latch on with her standing up!  Her little face said "I'm not really sure I ought to be doing this, but I'm going to give it a go". Cheeky
*** Amanda ***

Offline becj86

« Reply #401 on: November 02, 2012, 20:21:14 pm »
LOL Amanda, I fed DS with me lying on the couch and him standing beside it at 7-8 months when he just wanted to stand and wouldn't sit to feed :P Funny what they'll/we'll do, eh?

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #403 on: November 05, 2012, 10:30:05 am »
HAH! Yes.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #404 on: November 05, 2012, 20:00:06 pm »
ROFL!  I gave up reading/using a phone/breathing ;) while feeding her ages ago!! ;D
*** Amanda ***