Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4  (Read 65760 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2012, 03:28:58 am »
Ok- so hamish is waking at night- usually once- and has a feed... I'm less strict with this than i was when he was tiny!! do i need to drop this- or should i just leave it as usually it's just feed and then back down till morning? What would you ladies do? I totally won't be doing this when i'm not breastfeedng! And wouldnt' be if i'd weaned- it's just so easy!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2012, 04:07:56 am »
Well, I'd look at why he's waking.  If it's a comfort thing, it will most likely end when whatever is causing the discomfort will stop (theoretically....) but if it's a habit, you'll probably be stuck with it unless you try to stop it.  That's just theoretically though, James is my first that I've passed the year mark with and he hasn't fed in the night in several months.  Allie used to feed around 5/6 AM every morning, but on the days when she didn't wake for it, I had to wake her since I was going to work.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #212 on: June 14, 2012, 05:05:48 am »
F goes back and forth with having NFs - she is an atrocious teether, so I really do find it the best way to comfort her in the night and generally results in the most sleep for all of us. We had 2 NFs last night ::) but I know that when her canines are through she won't need them any more.
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #213 on: June 14, 2012, 10:40:50 am »
See- he has had a cold and a cough for a while now- and has had a cold fairly consistently for a month or so ::) .. but is that just an excuse?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2012, 10:58:13 am »
Are you happy with it the way it is?  If so, to me, it's not an issue :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2012, 11:05:32 am »
I'm happy enough i think- As the long night wakings that we occasionally get are more related to illness and discomfort rather than the nights when he feeds and goes back down right away. If the feeds led to long night wakings then i'd be WELL over it- but the one feed is not too bad.. I think i might wait till spring and he will hopefully not have a constant cold- and then he either won't wake up- or i won't have an excuse that he 'needs' a feed!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2012, 15:55:21 pm »
Katy, I think that's exactly it -- when we reached the point where he'd usually settle as easily without a feed as with, that's when I don't feed in the night anymore.  If it works for you, don't worry about it.  :)

Offline katyusha

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
« Reply #217 on: June 18, 2012, 00:23:01 am »
Ours wakes when has colds and I feed, but sometimes even that not enough. I agree with PPs, it is a comfort thing but it passes. And for my one it is useful to pick him up to clear away those lungs and bronchi from snot. If cold is constant has GP checked it? My DS's turned out to be allergy, asthma and hayfever stuff.

Offline katyusha

« Reply #218 on: June 18, 2012, 00:25:39 am »
Sorry was away, thank you Trimbler! I think you are right so am still feeding.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #219 on: June 18, 2012, 04:15:46 am »
Thanks Katyusha- yeah- we had it checked and she (dr) suspected it could be allergy as i have it- she pretty much said he could take hay fever stuff for the winter...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline katyusha

« Reply #220 on: June 28, 2012, 22:11:58 pm »
Ours is to grass and trees so March - July but due to other allergies we take antihestamine daily. I have found there is a science to it, like when to air the room and not to, certain days that are worse, etc. And before we split the dose in two, but now give all in one go before his worst times, so am for us. However, asthma doctor suspected food allergy when I told him of constant runny nose in winter and he tested him. Turned out it was allergy to egg, chickpeas and some other stuff, on top of the dairy Nd soy we excluded earlier. So the doctor was pretty astute, as we already exlcuded some of DS's worst offenders but continued to have the nose and rashes. Now after excluding more he seems much better.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #221 on: June 29, 2012, 06:06:57 am »
hmm... ATM he DOESN'T HAVE A RUNNY NOSE!!!! BUT- we ere at the doctors as he has a rash on his face and legs- she said its a reaction to something! So although he wasn't a sensitive baby at all it looks like he might be a sensitive toddler!! I'll have to start thinking.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #222 on: July 29, 2012, 20:07:24 pm »
Hi all, how are all the little toddlers feeding?
Colby is 1yo in a couple of weeks so I will be a proper member again. Yay!  ;) We are still feeding 4x in the day and more often than not once around 3 or 4am as well.

Interestingly I was chatting with another mum I am friendly with at play group and she "admitted" that she is still feeding her 33mo  when he asks or when she wants him to have a nap. I think she was pleasantly surprised when I happily told her how my two sisters and I had all fed our toddlers (who all attend the playgroup) until about 2yo. She is considering weaning him now as she is 3m pregnant. I was sharing my wisdom about nursing in pg and tandem and I realise it is the first time I have spoken about extended nursing to anyone other than my family. I guess because it is often morning and evening it is normally behind closed doors.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #223 on: July 29, 2012, 20:13:11 pm »
Good for you, Ali!  Way to go!

I think our journey might be coming to an end :(  D has only been having a really short feed the last couple of nights and her latch is all over the place.  How does she manage to suck and still get me with those bottom teeth?? ???

Or it could be that we're staying with my parents and it's a different place than the chair and room she's used to, who knows?
*** Amanda ***

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #224 on: July 29, 2012, 23:34:40 pm »
Still going well- have JUSt weaned the night feeds (as in the middle of the night) it was getting stupid- one was turning into 2.. and some long wakings.. Went better than i thought! He still has the night and morning feed with relish! And calls it 'go' why he does this i don't know!! He must be hearing the 'k' at the end and replacing it with a 'g'...

Hugs on the finishing feeding amanda!! Just think of te great bras you'l be able to buy!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!