Author Topic: How to deal w/chocolate allergy at school?  (Read 24559 times)

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
Re: How to deal w/chocolate allergy at school?
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 23:30:35 pm »
To answer a few questions...Ellen S....I am not willing to keep her out of school. I am a SAHM, so her going to school has nothing to do with work, just that she was so craving being with kids more often, and with full time kindergarten next year, and knowing her like I do, I wanted this year as prep for next.  She was getting bored, and for sure she was lonely...even with 3 activities a week, (library, gymnastics, music) it wasn't enough time for her to just spend time with other kids.

Funny, when I toured the Montessouri school, one of the kids was gluten-free, so the only snacks they have (for 25 kids) is fresh fruit and vegetables. I was surprised that one child would affect the whole room like that, but I also know (from the director) that she despises junk food, so she was probably secretly glad that the whole issue was solved in that way. Even there, where they have a junk-free and dye-free policy, she said they still have the occasional parent bringing in donuts or brownies or whatever. The way they deal with birthdays is that the birthday child chooses 3 friends, and they go and bake a (healthy) cake that the whole class shares after lunch....how cute is that?  Why am I not going there? It is more than double the cost of the current place, it is a long drive, and because I made this decision and I think moving dd would be detrimental to her. She seems to be getting used to it.  Do I feel majorly ripped off by it? Totally.  I asked about snacks before I even registered dd and they said "We encorage all parents to contribute healthy snacks...". They said it cheerfully and made me think snacks would be healthy. While it's true that they sent the note that said "We are encouraging healthy sncaks...", the fact is that they DON'T discourage garbage snacks.   They should have said that they serve whatever parents send, that there is no real policy. Because there isn't.

Bunty...you're right, she just can't have chocolate.  And the fact is, they didn't give it to her. But the way it was handled was ridiculous and hurtful and I was 100% out of the loop...I live 2 minutes away and they know it....AND I have cupcakes in my freezer at the ready...THEY KNOW THIS.  They didn't even tell me when I picked her up.  I mean, school has been in session for THREE WEEKS...and they have already forgotten the conversations and emails we shared about how we planned on dealing with birthday celebrations? 

UGH. SO mad.

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 23:40:51 pm »
We have fruit and veggies, only, in preschool.  Every child has the same snack.  Parents bring for the entire class.  1). For the healthy part and 2). So no one is left out.  If anyone is allergic to a particular fruit or veggie than thst is off limits.   So, that is pk3 and pk4. 

Jump to kindergarten (same school). We provide for our own child. Yea!!

Appartently, I am the only mother who is sending fruit or veggies.m
To be nice, I send a small bag of a "treat" like healthy crackers. Everyday I hear about it. 

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 23:42:23 pm »
{{Hugs}}  Very frustrating. :(

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 00:22:20 am »
Dh thinks I should go straight to the board and ask flat-out "What is your policy with regard to allergies? We were under the assumption that if a child had an allergy, that the offending food would simply not be offered in class."   That's the differnce though with hives vs. "major" reactions I guess, in the eyes of the schools.

Do they actually have a policy I wonder?  Ours is just no nuts, but then it really doesn't take into account any cross contamination from home (if I had a nut allergic child I don't think I would ever trust home baked goodies coming into class unless it was my own!)  I think it's a big assumption to think that they would cut an offending food because one child is allergic to it.  I can't believe the Montessori school actually did that! In some ways I wish our preschool would, but then Spencer needs to learn that she won't always be able to have what everyone else is having and that she just shouldn't accept food from someone else without checking with a teacher or parent first.

Heidi

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 02:38:33 am »
 Dh said that in major anger.  We know it isn't really realistic to think that nobody would have chocolate..but at the same time it isn't like we thought it was the hugest deal, either.  The preschool is from 9am til noon...just didn't think there'd be all kinds of chocolate opportunities I guess.   :-\

Millie is ok not having chocolate...but this would be her first time where every single person around her is having it and she is having none.  And plus, we had a plan!!! I thought we were clear!!!  AND THEN they didn't even tell me!!!!!!!! 

UUUGGHHHHH.

Offline nwmm

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 02:40:41 am »
We apparently are the only ones that don't serve our lo chocolate during 9:00 to noon school.  Perhaps we can start our own school.

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 02:44:47 am »
Ha!  I'd LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Totally OT, (kinda)...but I just learned yesterday that there are 2 snack times...I drop my child at 9am, and I pick her up at noon.  2 snacks. I was astounded.  Snack at 10, and snack at 11:15.  So stupid. 

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2011, 02:47:24 am »
The preschool is from 9am til noon...just didn't think there'd be all kinds of chocolate opportunities I guess.

I know...I still have a hard time getting my DH to understand that chocolate anything is a treat not a snack!  (in fact he fed them choc. cookies this afternoon, apparently I didn't hide them well enough  ::))

What??? TWO?? Why does everything have to revolve around food so much?  Are they trying to fill the time up or what?

Heidi

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2011, 02:51:38 am »
I know! That's what dh said....snack must take 20 minutes each time, and they go outside for the last 20-30 minutes...so....circle time, activity...and let's rush through it because you rascals need to eat every hour!   ::)   Dh was like "We're paying for this?"    She just ate breakfast for goodness sake! 

Offline nwmm

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2011, 02:53:27 am »
It does seem odd.  

I was so excited to learn that many schools do have snack time when they kids are passed first grade.  I am picturing how i can fuel my lo so they will preform well.  I remember starving in school (no snack time after preschool age.) Sometimes I would need to leave to have a snack and that was embarrassing even when I was pretty old.  

was excited to hear you bring your own snack (vs. Our preschool when you bring for the whole class.) That way, I could provide what I felt was best for my lo.

Shocked to hear the moms who bake everything from scratch, eat nothing but super duper healthy things all day long who are sending junk to school.  I joke, in my head, they must be organic, home made m &ms  ;)

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2011, 03:11:54 am »
Dh was like "We're paying for this?"

no kidding...and do the kids actually want to eat lunch by the time they get home if the last snack is at 11:15? I know my kids wouldn't! 

Heidi

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2011, 09:25:53 am »
TWO????

Why on EARTH do they have 2 snacks?? That is totally ridiculous. ESPECIALLY if it's biscuits/cakes/chocolate TWICE!!!!!!!

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2011, 10:36:49 am »
Two snacks?!?! ??? ??? ???   This place just sounds weirder and weirder.....

There is absolutely no biological need whatsoever for more than one snack in that duration of time for anything resembling a normal preschooler!

Offline speechie

• Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2011, 13:28:06 pm »
Dropping off hugs, Anne- totally get why you want to keep her there- cost, drive time, she's starting to settle in. I agree 2 snacks thing is totally odd!

Hugs for what I feel has been a disappointment for you- not the warm fuzzy feeling about her first school experience. It should have been that way. :(
Hugs and I am glad she's adjusting, but UGH to all of the odd things about it and their failure to call you for a nonchocolate treat.

I think having some goodies for her in the school's fridge/pantry would be a good idea.
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2011, 13:49:13 pm »
2 snacks????

M's snack is from 9.45-10.30 and they can just go and help themselves throughout that time.  2 snacks seems a ridiculous waste of time for a 3 hour session!