Author Topic: How to deal w/chocolate allergy at school?  (Read 24587 times)

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Re: How to deal w/chocolate allergy at school? Updatep5..need quick advice
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2011, 22:57:21 pm »
Anne I'm just so sorry you needed to write this letter in the first place. I think you've come across so well. I've got everything crossed that this works out for the best and that they stand up and take notice xx
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Roseii

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2011, 22:59:14 pm »
Ps if they ask you to leave I'd be shocked and appalled, you're not in the slightest bit rude or confrontational, all you're trying to do is make sure this is a safe and happy place for your daughter xx

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2011, 23:07:11 pm »
I would probably try and make it shorter; as written it's on the long side and they may or may not have time to read it all before they react to it.

I also think I'd take out the sentence/question, "Is it because we choose to be dye-free? And so her chocolate allergy isn't taken seriously?" Given how they've responded to you so far on other issues, they might end up getting defensive at this. :-\

I might also add a sentence saying that even though her symptoms are relatively mild now, there is always the possibility, as with any allergy to any food, that symptoms can worsen the next time that food is given, so food allergies in general are a serious medical concern, not just for your child but for any child.

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2011, 23:12:17 pm »
You're right Deb...I will edit that...I had a feeling that part was OTT.  Even though it's true. 

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2011, 23:20:54 pm »
In lieu of that, should I add something like "If a doctors note would help for this to be considered a real issue, then I am glad to provide just that. I hadn't done so up until now because I thought we had arrived at a mutual underdtanding"   :-\

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2011, 23:36:00 pm »
I like it. I agree with Deb about the length but I really do think it all needs to be said :-\ I agree to leave the bit out about being dye free and I would add your sentence about the doctors note but I would probably just leave it at you would be happy to provide it. I think the last sentence "I hadn't done soo up until now..." doesn't really need to be there :-\

I dont think they can kick you out over this and TBH, if they did, I wouldn't want my child at a place where there clearly isn't an open door policy. It's a great letter which clearly states what has happened and what you need and you have been completely respectful of everyone involved.

(((((hugs)))))

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2011, 01:03:25 am »
And then this past week, to find that an activity was devoted to the children looking at different kinds of chocolate bars and then recording whose favorite was which...when my daughter has never had any?  It felt so exclsionary to me...it hurt me to think that my daughter was faced to choose things that she has never/will never have

Wow, that is just the wackiest "activity" I have ever heard of...why not use fruits and veggies, or something, anything but candy!

I think if you can manage to shorten it a bit it would be better, because I can see them getting defensive just looking at the length of it...honestly I am picturing them looking at it and rolling their eyes before even giving it a read and hearing what you have to say (which I think comes across full of nothing but concern and caring for your child, which is as it should be!)

I agree with Deb that they really need to be made aware that past reactions do not predict future ones, and some hives this time could be anaphylaxis the next. 
Heidi

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2011, 01:05:40 am »
{{hugs}} Anne.

I agree with shortening, but am not entirely sure how.  It does all need to be said.  :-\

Wow, that is just the wackiest "activity" I have ever heard of...why not use fruits and veggies, or something, anything but candy!

Because it's almost Halloween  ::)

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2011, 01:55:25 am »
A lot to say here, but yeah...I have only had the kids sample apples this time of year.  LeArn about various charts re:the most liked or the least liked.  Have them use a string to measure the width of the apple. Etc. 

Perhaps I am missing the boat, but I would leave out the dye free stuff.  If they are allowing kids to bring in chocolate, on a no party day, two snacks a day they won't  ::)get why you chose (I get it!!!)  ;)To be dye free.

I would also leave out the "possibility" the allergy could get worse.  Spin it a bit so they/drs. are worried the next step could be a serious situation.

Offline Roseii

Re: How to deal w/chocolate allergy at school?
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2011, 21:13:51 pm »
Any luck Anne? :-*

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2011, 21:26:27 pm »
Curious also!

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2011, 21:46:09 pm »
I sent it yesterday, and just got a note from her (the director) that said "I'd like to talk to you as soon as possible...can we meet after class tomorrow? Thank you!"

And I wrote back "Thanks for the response.  I'm really hoping we can find some time to talk on the phone? This way there won't be any interuptions, and no chance of Millie hearing our discussion.  I will make myself available any time that is convenient for you....thanks so much."

Last time we had a meeting after school it was ridiculous because her son and my dd were playing, arguing, interupting every 5 seconds...AND dd was just trying to hear us, wanting to be near me and it was a disaster.

I'm fairly sure we are going to be asked to leave. 

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2011, 22:03:51 pm »
(((((hugs))))) I really hope she will be willing to speak over the phone and that she is going to hear you and find something that works for all! I hope they aren't kicking you out!

Offline georgeo

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2011, 22:18:35 pm »
Surely she just wants to clear things up as soon as possible....asking you to leave seems crazy. Fingers crossed that it goes well.

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2011, 22:46:23 pm »
Everything about this place seems crazy, actually.  I just hope they realize that in the midst of all the defensiveness and adversarial b.s....there is a 4 year old child.  To be asked to leave would hurt her.  I would be furious if they just disregrded her that way, but then, isn't that what they have done all along?