Author Topic: How to deal w/chocolate allergy at school?  (Read 24589 times)

Offline momtonb&ab

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 234
Re: How to deal w/chocolate allergy at school?
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2011, 23:11:49 pm »
Oh Anne, do you really think they would ask you to leave?  I would think she should try to be more accommodating , after all you have raised Very  valid concerns. I mean, even if the concerns werent as serious as yours, every parent has a RIGHT to work with child educators to find a situation that is right for their child. 

Huge hugs, keep us posted

Offline georgeo

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2011, 06:30:51 am »
Everything about this place seems crazy, actually.  

The chocolate exercise with a child that can't eat chocolate did blow my mind! Still have fingers crossed for you guys.

Offline speechie

• Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2011, 13:26:00 pm »
dropping off hugs and support for you! Sorry the drama keeps going...
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2011, 15:45:55 pm »
No meeting this morning, Amelia didn't go to school...she has a fever.    :-\  I'm sure the teacher thinks I'm lying...LOL.  So me and my girl are sticking home today...(trying not to think about what happened in July...being vigilant!)...and hopefully she'll be ok for her Halloween parade on Friday morning.  Fingers crossed.   :)

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2011, 16:10:01 pm »
Get well soon Amelia  :-* :-*

Surely you cannot be asked to leave? :o If I was the director I would just be wanting to reassure the parents and make sure that we were finally on the same page, I am pretty sure they wouldn't kick out a delightful pupil who happens to have an allergy, if they did get straight onto the newpapers!! I actually think they are lucky it is you they are dealing with because if the sort of candy goings on were at my dd's preschool I would have kicked up a fuss with the teachers and parents, there is a time and a place ofr "treat" and it is not school  ::) I know childhood obesity is a big problem everywhere but in particular in the US and I think they are being so irresponsible giving the kids sugary snacks and even having lessons around sweets, WTF? I may have to send Jamie Oliver over to Millie's preschool  ;D
Katt

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2011, 16:44:01 pm »
Thanks Katt.  It seems to be the norm here, and speaking up and asking about the junk food causes one to be ostracised.  Rather than think for a moment and say "Actually, why IS my kid having oreos and fruit punch at 10 am?", instead people feel defensive...it's just insane.  It is always just me...I am always the only one it feels like.  I can't wait for Montessouri...where we'd be normal. 

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2011, 16:47:09 pm »
Aw Anne you'd be normal here too :( ((hugs)) and healthy vibes for darling Millie xx
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2011, 18:16:08 pm »
I can't get my head around that crazy situation, you must feel like you are in the Twighlight Zone  :P Did I miss something, is Amelia going to start Montessori?
Katt

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2011, 18:44:30 pm »
Thanks Katt.  It seems to be the norm here, and speaking up and asking about the junk food causes one to be ostracised.  Rather than think for a moment and say "Actually, why IS my kid having oreos and fruit punch at 10 am?", instead people feel defensive...it's just insane.  It is always just me...I am always the only one it feels like.  I can't wait for Montessouri...where we'd be normal. 

I am so so baffled by this.  We were at Maeve's settling in meeting today and the classroom leader brought up healthy eating and said it is one of their main rules and goals and thanked all the parents for healthy snacks and lunches that we send.   She said she was really pleased we all were sticking to the rules of 'no juice, no chocolate, no sweets, no crisps' so the fact M's nursery gives those things really shocks me.  I am so sorry you have to deal with this. 

I hope your sweet girl is better soon xxx

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2011, 18:48:49 pm »
Katt, we're thinking of Montessuori for kindergarten next year.   :)  Where there is a dye free, no garbage policy....and everyone is in agreement with it.  Enrollment there is up, and enrollment at most other private preschools is down...ummm...maybe there's a link, people?   >:(

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2011, 19:48:03 pm »
More hugs.  It's not really called snack here any more, it is called Nutrition break.

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2011, 19:50:32 pm »
Love that, ais.   At this Montessouri, (maybe all of them actually?) the snacks are self-directed.  So, grapes are out in a bowl, some cheese and crackers, apples etc...and the kids eat whenever they want. They don't feel that they should impose on a child when it's "time" to eat or drink....I like that. 

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2011, 20:00:16 pm »
At this Montessouri, (maybe all of them actually?) the snacks are self-directed.

I think so...my nephew did Montessori for pre school and they were only allowed to bring fruits & veggies for snacks. I'm kind of glad I have to send Spencer her own snack as then I can control what she is having. 
Heidi

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2011, 20:03:43 pm »
That's awesome, fruits and veggies only...but I really like the idea that they can stop and have a little something whenever they feel like it.  And when it isn't "junk", the kids do eat when they are hungry...they don't just eat because it's cookies, kwim?

Offline momtonb&ab

• Showing Appreciation 234
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2011, 20:17:40 pm »
That's awesome, fruits and veggies only...but I really like the idea that they can stop and have a little something whenever they feel like it.  And when it isn't "junk", the kids do eat when they are hungry...they don't just eat because it's cookies, kwim?

Even at Niklas and Addison's school they have open eating times - so when the 'green light' is on they are free to go get their lunches and placemats and sit and eat (they must sit to eat).  It gives them a lot of freedom.  There is only about 2 hours where the 'red light' indicates they shouldn't eat.  And it is entirely healthy foods.  Strict requirements for no candy, junk etc.  fruit, veg and healthy foods only.