Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11  (Read 87283 times)

Offline lidiayy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 15:04:45 pm »
Re-joining the party. We're still slow on BLW. DH is concerned about gagging and choking.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 16:10:49 pm »
Welcome lidiayy.:) gagging is an important skill to learn and is .ot dangerous. It is just Lo bringing the food from the back of their mouth to the front again. Choking is no more likely with blw than with traditional weaning where finger foods are offered alongside purees anyway. In fact some say it is less likely to cause choking as the LO isn't used to just sucking purees straight to the back of their mouths and now can't do the same with a solid piece of food. Plus with blw they get to feel and see the food in it's actual for before putting it in their mouth themselves. Can you get hold of the blw book so DH can read up on the details?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 17:51:09 pm »
Thanks everyone, we managed two sittings today & I've been out to buy some more interesting things for her to try tomorrow & for me to enjoy too :-)
~ Naomi ~

Offline cecelia_at_home

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 18:17:10 pm »
DS is 10 mo and we've been doing BLW from the start. I'm concerned that he still seems to eat very little. Normally he'll have a few bites of what's offered, but very little seems to go and stay in. However his milk intake (formula) seems to have increased. Has anyone else experienced this? What can I do to encourage him to actually swallow what he chews? Thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 18:44:53 pm »
Hi Cecilia. What sort of foods are you offering? Does he sit with you and eat at the same time as you and your family? Do you think his motor skills are pretty much inline with his age? Has he got better at all since starting around 6mo? When do you offer solids in his day?

Offline cecelia_at_home

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 19:12:30 pm »
Hi Ali. He usually has a bit of whatever we're having. For meals we eat at the table together and for snacks we may just sit on the floor. I usually eat the same food or something similar. I'm working on the 2-1 nap transition but are days normally are:
7 bottle
8:30-9ish breakfast usually toast and yogurt or fruit
Today was porridge which he seemed to like
10:30 bottle
11:30 lunch today it was a bit of beef burger with chips (homemade in the oven) and a bit of tomato cucumber and pepper. Only the burger and tomato were tasted but he's eaten (...well chewed) all of these foods before
3ish bottle
4ish snack of banana flavored rice puffs I think he are about 3-4 and they are very small
5:30 bottle
6:30 dinner of rissoto a d green beans. Again sum put in mouth but very little swallowed.

He's very active and has been crawling for several months and I think he'll be walking soon. He's always been a good milk drinker and he's been bottle fed formula since he was 2 months old. He also has sleep issues and wakes 3-5 times a night.
Thanks for your help!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 23:24:21 pm »
Do you think switching the bottles to after the solids might make him hungrier?

Offline cecelia_at_home

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 08:05:50 am »
I'll give that a go today. Thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 08:26:52 am »
Let us know how it goes. And I thought this might help http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=61946.0

Colby wolfed down baked trout, pasta bows and carrots last night for dinner. I think he ate more than Cadan who just tipped most of his out on the tray. ::)

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 10:02:14 am »
Thanks for posting that link Ali - I was just posting about Sofia in our birth club as she seems to be refusing milk. I think we're on our way to transitioning to 2 bottles. She is coming up to 10m, but I thought this would happen nearer 1 yr...?

Looks like from the link that it does start around this time so feel a bit more reassured...  will give it a few more days of trying the afternoon bottle and if it carries on, will just replace with a milky snack I think.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 10:12:37 am »
hmm.. how much is she getting at each bottle? We are just on 3 breast feeds- but she may be taking more at each bottle....

I had a sort of panicky thread on breastfeeding the other day as hamish was going to be going from 7am to 4pm with no breast feed in between- he was having his fill of lunch- but no milk feed.. the people that responded i think thought i was a crazy lady!! They were of course very nice... but were sort of like- hmm... he should survive....

It's INSANE to think that only a couple of- well WEEKS ago i was really stressing about pumping milk for feeds i would miss- and the fact that i wasn't getting much- and now it's totally fine!! I can just feed him at another time- or offer somthing else till i get there!! AND in a month and a half- like 6 weeks or something- i can just give him a bottle of cows milk or something if i like!! INSANE!!

Oh- and on the BLW front- Hamish does not much like hot curry sauce... Naughty mummy!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 12:32:34 pm »
Oh- and on the BLW front- Hamish does not much like hot curry sauce... Naughty mummy!!

Hehe, you'll never know if you don't try! F constantly amazes me with the level of heat she can handle....and demand more of. I don't tone down her curries nearly as much as I used to now. And I tried to dampen her enthusiasm for papad by giving her a nibble of the (pretty darn peppery) black pepper variety - nope, she was still keen.
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 12:34:16 pm »
It was pretty hot (not hot as in thailand... but hot all the same) an indian sauce.. luckily we had the yoghurt on hand so it was ok.. i might try something a little milder!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline cecelia_at_home

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 08:37:11 am »
Hi all. I think he actually ate some yogurt this morning! There was a lot smeared all over but I think some went in. Putting my bw hat on this morning I twigged that he almost begs whenever DH or I am eating something. So I ate a few spoonfuls of his yogurt and then he reached for the spoon so I gave it to him. He's quite strong willed and independent so I think I have to get him to think that eating is HIS idea.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 08:56:05 am »
Congrats!!! I've used that method before!! Works well i find!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!