Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11  (Read 87287 times)

Offline moon-dell

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2012, 08:42:22 am »
Hi all,
I need some encouragement pls..
We have been on blw for about two weeks. Only breakfast at the moment. Yeaterday, I thought it was time to give DS a dinner. He was playing in the garden with MIL, his uncle and grand MIL. I baked some pears since it was little hard and took it to garden to feed DS. As soon as I went out, mil n the uncle left(clear sign that they didn't like blw) n the grandmother was there watching(which I didn't like). Ds took some pears as I put them on his tray then after couple of minutes he started gagging then threw up with little bit of milk....
He didn't seem mind at all but my grandmother in law did!!!
The look she gave me was horrible and an argument came along..
We live with in-laws. Ds will start joining dinner with everyone soon. How am I going to handle the pressure????

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2012, 09:45:54 am »
UGH!! Hugs to you!! That's horrible!! The comments- or even side comments are so upsetting! THe gagging realy doesn't affect them- it is a protective means for them!!BUT it is  pain if he's bringing up milk with it..

I'm not sure how best to deal with your inlaws... can you speak to DH about it and get him on side?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2012, 10:35:36 am »
The comments are so disheartening! :( I got a few too at first. But if you can brave it through the first few weeks they'll be eating their words when they see how much he starts eating, and all alone! Anyone who watches sophia eat now is absolutely amazed ;). It is really important DH is on your side. Maybe for now you can feed him when its just the two of you till he gets a bit more practice and stops gagging?

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2012, 10:39:18 am »
also- he doesnt really need many meals at this stage (i assume he's 6 months).. so choose meals that suit you...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2012, 14:49:32 pm »
Can you get them to read the relevant chapter in the blw book so they know gagging is not dangerous?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 18:41:03 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline moon-dell

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2012, 17:24:45 pm »
Thank you for all ur comments guys. Getting my confidence back and feeling relaxed a bit.
My DH is on my side and my in-laws are like silent unsupporters. They don't speak up or ask me questions. They just say things
 like - no, he doesn't like chicken(hello?? That was the first time he tasted!!!), that's too big for him, he's got a big piece in his mouth..
I know they will be amazed in few month time like beckygatt said. I remember all the comments from MIL when I started easy routine - he will sleep when he wants to sleep, is he going to sleep AGAIN?? Why is he going to sleep so early tonight??
And now she is very happy with the routine and doesn't say anything about it.
I think ill just stick to the breakfast for a while. The reason I wanted DS on dinner table was that I want to introduce him all kind of food. But for breakfast I feel like its not so easy to do that. Because I wouldn't want chicken for breakfast so I don't offer him either. Or Should I just give him???

Ali- I live in south africa and I can't seem to find any blw books here. I was lucky to find one of the tracys book.
Ill just go online and let them read or print it out..

Thank you for sharing your stories and all the supports. I really appreciate it.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2012, 18:45:11 pm »
I often offer veggies in the morning that I don't want to eat either but I figure he doesn't know what people typically eat for breakfast so he doesn't care.

dburseth

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2012, 19:04:24 pm »
I totally agree Alli, and thats my argument for sweets when people pressure me to give DS some. He won't know what he's missing til someone starts giving it to him! Grrr.

Hugs Moon-dell!  DH gave me a bit of a hard time at first when he saw the gagging, but has since come around.  Until he did, I just avoided any challenging foods while he was around or if I was around inlaws.  What about encouraging  your LO to eat from a loaded spoon so you are still following BLW but the food would be soft like cereal, soups, soft fruit or something like that?  Or even just offer the different foods at a family meal but smaller pieces?  He will still be able to feed himself and try what he likes.
If you can get DH onside you'll find others will interfere less.  I feel confident now when DS stuffs a big wad of whatever in his mouth that he can handle it.  The first few weeks were fun and awkward at the same time.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 19:10:39 pm »
Hi moon-dell!  To be honest, he can either gag now on real food and learn about how to move food to the back of his mouth safely now, or he can start gagging when you start putting lumps in puree as he learns the same lesson.  Perhaps that's something the in-laws have forgotten about weaning - babies gag.  It's a learning curve.
*** Amanda ***

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2012, 19:55:23 pm »
Does your baby go off food if they're poorly? Audrey has a horrid cold. I know it can't be about appetite, because she's only eating tiny morsels of the stuff anyway, but it's like she doesn't even want to play with it, and if she brings it near her mouth she starts to cough. I'm wondering if her little body is telling her she doesn't need big people food right now.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 19:59:05 pm »
They can go off food sometimes.  I know I do when I'm not feeling right.  Has she got a blocked nose at all?  Problems breathing while she has something in her mouth?  Teeth?
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2012, 20:02:18 pm »
Ah poor Aud. Colby definitely lost his appetite when he had a cold. I think it can be hard to eat and breathe with a blocked up nose. Plus colds make you lose your sense of smell and that is half the actual taste of things gone.

We had greeny-blue poo with orange spots today.  :o That'll be the blueberries and carrots.  :P

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 23:54:15 pm »
well- you'll be surprised to learn that nothing much puts hamish off his food!! BUT- in the early days there were meals where he'd not have anything- throw everything over...

Moon-dell- Well if they are silent objectors then i'd just put on your best 'face' and go with it. Even if you just offer soft things at dinner. SOme foods are soft and that's ok... i didn't always offer meats and such to start- soft cooked vegies like pumpkin and sweet potato were good. They'll come around!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2012, 07:01:20 am »
Moon-dell, hugs to you, it can be so hard dealing with the (silent or less so) disapproval of others. I have just lent my mother the BLW book as she wasn't particularly convinced. I hope things improve as your LO becomes a more proficient self-feeder.

Was pleased to see the rest of this thread as DD has just thrown her entire breakfast on the floor as soon as sitting down. She seemed to enjoy doing it though ;-)
~ Naomi ~

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2012, 07:13:54 am »
At the start it can be tricky to convince the doubters as they don't take much in (the babies, not the doubters...) but they do start getting more in eventually- and i would seriously doubt that if you compared Hamish to other babies that were traditionally weaned he would be eating no less than some- and much more than others!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!