Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11  (Read 87334 times)

Offline timmysmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2012, 18:11:26 pm »
Stef,
The potato patty sounds yummy- I'll give it a try!  Just reread my post and I didn't word it well!  I bf, then offer solids an hour later.  I am wondering if she doesn't eat if I should do an extra bf.  up until now, I've been doing some purée if she doesn't eat the finger foods.

Yes, I was thinking about doing chunkier puree's too.  Your post made me think about why she isn't eating the solids, as she was trying bits before.  Her mouth may still be sore as she had hand mouth and foot not too long ago.  She likes the little rice puffs you can buy at the store.  I think she isn't liking the rather mushy sweet potatoes and bananas I've been giving her.  She doesn't seem to want to hold it. If that makes sense.  Maybe some other drier foods she would like.  I've been avoiding dairy and wheat, what else could I give her that is dry that doesn't have wheat?

Offline Whatbit

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Triple Trouble
« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2012, 23:56:00 pm »
Ah, that makes more sense!  IMO, I would probably go with the purees too if Neve wasn't into finger foods but if she wouldn't go for those I would do an extra BF if she seemed hungry.  And for sure she could be nervous about the solids even if she isn't sore any more from the H, M & F...

Ok- ideas... Neve loves avacado at the moment, but that could be mushy too?  Have you tried rolling the banana in baby cereal before giving it to her?  It worked really well for Aiden as it was easier to hold.  Steamed carrot sticks can be pretty 'dry' compared to some stuff.  Hmmm... so much stuff gets kinda mushy when steamed or cooked so I guess you would need to experiment a bit with veggies.  Cauliflour florets?  Cooked beans, like kidney beans because they're a bit bigger?  Rice cakes with hummus?  Neve likes peas too and tonight she had grilled zucchini and eggplant slices (not such a fan of the grilled peppers, but I tried).  HTH!
~Stef~

Offline timmysmommy

« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2012, 14:09:36 pm »
Thanks for the great ideas Stef!  I never thought about the baby cereal on a banana- brilliant!  She started eating solids again, so I guess we are fine.  I'm going to save purée for when we are out.  Those little pouches of purée are so nice and she'll suck down the whole thing.  DS is addicted to them too and always asks for a squeezie.  Hard to say no when they are organic fruits and veggies mixed.

I wonder if she might have been tired of the same old stuff ya know.   I bought some Cantalope and she is loving that- sucking the juice right out of it lol.  She ate some egg this morning for the first time as she has tossed it in the past.  I have some broccoli I could steam for later, she has eaten that a few times and it is similar to cauliflower!  I've been offering the avacodo and sometimes she likes it other times, not so much.  DS and I love it though!  I like that it doesn't need to be cooked! :) She is also eating some rice pasta.  She still seemed annoyed that she has to chew, but I've found it's the only time she babbles lol!

She is turning down pear, baked apple, banana, cucumber, sweet potato.

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2012, 17:08:31 pm »
Pear?!  Really?  I'm surprised.  At least she's trying some food again, though!  Keep at it! 
I like that it doesn't need to be cooked!
Me too!!  I buy some every week just for that reason.  Then if I don't have something for her at a meal out it comes :)
~Stef~

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2012, 09:00:27 am »
Keep offering- i found hamish would turn something down one say and accept it on another day!! At the moment he'll toss something and eat it both in the one meal!!

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2012, 16:19:08 pm »
Amy, Neve is refusing solids now!!!  I think it's her teeth because one showed up this morning.  She just sits and cries... and drops the food on the floor...
~Stef~

Offline timmysmommy

« Reply #171 on: May 11, 2012, 17:19:18 pm »
Oh no Stef!  I was just going to post that Emily is eating again!  Guess you'll have to take your own advice, keep offering and if she doesn't eat, try purée.  I hope her teeth come in soon.  Poor Neve. :(

I rolled her mushy food in baby rice cereal.  Don't know if that was it, but she went to town at lunch today.  She ate an half of banana, 2 slices of pear, and a hunk of avacado.  It is by far the
most she has ever eaten.  And they were all mushy foods she was resisting earlier.

Thanks for all the support!!

Offline Whatbit

• Triple Trouble
« Reply #172 on: May 11, 2012, 18:10:57 pm »
Glad to hear, Amy!  Neve won't take the spoon either.  So we'll see how supper goes.  We have company coming so it could be interesting!
~Stef~

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #173 on: May 11, 2012, 19:27:18 pm »
Miss D is back to eating peas and sweetcorn!  Woohoo!  She's been ignoring them for so long now, but ate a whole portion at lunch today ;D
*** Amanda ***

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #174 on: May 21, 2012, 13:31:39 pm »
Any tips for teaching her how to use a sippy? I think she needs a bit of water with her meals she has been a wee bit bunged up. We have a valved cup which she just chews on, and a free flow one which she just lets the water flow out of her mouth...

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #175 on: May 21, 2012, 14:12:16 pm »
We started with a free-flow sippy and A LOT did go down her chin for ages but I knew a little was going in each time...is A swallowing at all?

Have you tried a straw cup? We got one of those a little later on and I thought it might take F a while to get it, but it took all of about 5 seconds and she was drinking away ;) They're meant to be easier for bf babies.

In the meantime, maybe you could offer her some watermelon or cucumber, or something else with a high water content.
*Nuala*

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #176 on: May 21, 2012, 18:28:49 pm »
I just gave the sippy if water with each meal and yes he did let it run out of his mouth to start with, I found a scoop bib handy for collecting the spillage, but he soon realised he had to keep the mouth closed. Now he drinks tonnes.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #177 on: May 21, 2012, 18:33:40 pm »
I found the same thing with the sippy- even with the valve out to make it free flow- he had no idea. So i taught him to use a straw cup at around 6/7 months- he picked it up VERY quickly- I help a little water in the bottom of the straw and then put it in his mouth so he knew what the straw was about- then with a little trial and error got it. They don't drink very much to start as the milk gives them enough fluid- but hamish will drink if needed. I also have him use an open cup sometimes- he thinks it's a fnger bowl... I've now introduced a sspout cup for milk as i didn't fancy cleaning milk out of the straw...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #178 on: May 21, 2012, 20:26:13 pm »
Have you tried the Doidy cup Anna? Apparently it is similar to the mouth action used to BF. Colby likes that too.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:44:00 am by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #179 on: May 21, 2012, 21:01:50 pm »
I just gave D a free flowing Tommee Tippee one (the classic one with the little flip up spout) and a fair amount spilled out to start with.  She's a pro with it now and chooses deliberately to let it fall out of her mouth, from time to time.  Cheeky minx!
*** Amanda ***