Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11  (Read 87214 times)

Offline lil_ginge

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Psalm 139:13! :)
    • Supporting Christian Unions in Sixth Forms and FE Colleges - because 16-19s are fab! :)
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2012, 07:08:18 am »
Hamish Loves fritata- Lil ginge- you could make them and put them into muffin tins- as in make it in muffin tinns then cook them- then they'd be baby size! Freeze them for later!

Genius! This would be ok to oven bake i guess!?

Ladies... does anyone know how often babes should poop when they r on solids? i definately did two v smelly much thicker (sorry for the detaill!) poos Thursday but i dunno if Dh had one Fri because she hasnt pooed for 2 or 3 days!(if he did a sneaky change which i didnt know about)

She also been eating lots by her own hands so definately know stuff gone in just wanting it to come out so we dont have a jam!!! After childbirth this is one way to relate to dd for sure (ugh, again, tmi ... sorry)
* Claire *

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2012, 08:48:53 am »
Anna and lil_ginge - my reply to both questions would be the same - it depends on the baby.  Some start eating more sooner and some poo more often/frequently than others.  Wooly answer, yes, but true also.

FWIW, I can't actually remember when DD started eating more (around 8m maybe?) but these days she tends to do 1-2 poos per day depending on what she's eaten.
*** Amanda ***

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2012, 12:29:31 pm »
Thanks for the great ideas ladies! :). I'll check out those recipes!

One more thing- any ideas what to do to minimize waste?  Once she bites the tip off the carrot, she can't eat te rest.  I feel like I throw a lot of food away.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2012, 13:50:52 pm »
The best way to minimise waste is to give her what you are having- but yes... there is still waste... but at least then you haven't prepared a whole meal for her....

Lil ginge- yes- i meant cook them in the oven in a muffin tin... or you could cook them in egg rings in the frying an to make individual ones...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

dburseth

« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2012, 14:22:54 pm »
Dogs (or cats) and composting helps one feel better about the waste  ;D

C usually has one poop a day now for the last few months but now and again he'll poop 2 or 3 times.  His turned solid within the first couple weeks of starting food.

C has been similar to Hamish in the food department...didn't take him long to start getting it to his mouth (first week for sure) then maybe a month or so later he started getting more down. 

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2012, 15:25:05 pm »
Katy - care to share your fritatta recipe? I have no idea how to make one since I'm allergic to eggs, but Sofia isn't, and Max and DH love eggs so would make a good one for them.

Anna - Sofia was also about 8/8.5m before she really started to eat much volume. Up til then it was a lot of playing and tasting.

R. x

Offline cecelia_at_home

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2012, 19:24:30 pm »
Does anyone have any ideas on foods or tips about getting babies to swallow? My lo is nearly 11 mo and we have been doing BLW from 6 mo. He'll bite stuff and chew but then spits it a lot of it out so very little goes in. He'll try most foods but then not swallow. His poo hasn't changed at all.
I'm working on spacing the bottles and solids, but I think he just doesn't get that eating will make him not feel hungrey.

Offline lil_ginge

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Psalm 139:13! :)
    • Supporting Christian Unions in Sixth Forms and FE Colleges - because 16-19s are fab! :)
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2012, 19:33:01 pm »
Cecelia - really sorry but I don't have any good ideas as we're venturing into this at 6 months! Does he do that with soft roasted veggies too that are all mushy inside?

Hmm... YAY we got two mini poops today. Boo - they seem a bit too hard for my liking (paired with the groans!) Anyone got any tips to help loosen these lil plops!?
* Claire *

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2012, 23:07:03 pm »
Cecelia- Sorry you feel like your lo is still not eating.  Is he a touchy baby?  They sometimes have texture issues.

Lil-ging prunes and pears usually work.  If that doesn't work a little apple juice should get things going.

Lol cam's mom- our cats won't eat bananas!  ;). Composting is a nice idea though!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2012, 23:47:24 pm »
YEah cecelia- i was going to ask if he had any sort of hypersensitivity.. Is he touchy? How does he go with hair washing, or getting his hands messy? Is there anything that he DOES swallow? as in foods that go really smooth- such as pumpkin? or foods that dissolve away to nothing- like a crusket biscuit? Sometimes LOs can not like the sensation of swallowing lumpy solids...

Lil- ging- my friens gives her LO prune juice to drink- but i often try to mix a prune or 2 into hamish's yoghurt- some babies would just eat them whole- but he thinks they are too sweet i think...

For the fritata- I have this tupperware slicer thing- like a mandoline- anyway- i slice up using that potato, onion, then any veg you like- i often use zucchini but have used capsicum, sweet potato spinach- whatever.. sometimes i'll even pop some salmon on the top. Then i put these with a little water into a pan ( the frying pan that i;ll use to do the whole thing) and cook them till they are cooked through. THen i mix up 1-2 eggs with some sour cream if you have it, some milk, some yoghurt... basically anything you have that is white that will extend the eggs- you can use more eggs.. but you don't need to... then you pour this over the whole lot in the pan- sort of gently move the vegies around to make sure there's egg on the bottom... and cook till the base is set and the middle's not totally runny- then i put cheese on the top and put it in the griller to cook the cheese and the top of the fritata. You don't need to add the cheese if you don't want to. It's a very quick meal that easily uses up all of those vegies you have sitting in the fridge...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

dburseth

« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2012, 01:17:59 am »
lil ginge, I offer C lots of water throughout the day if his poops are too stiff  and pears and prunes worked well for us too.

Offline cecelia_at_home

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2012, 11:43:40 am »
Thanks for the thoughts. I hadnt thought about it like that. He's not touchy about most thing. Hates having his face wiped but that's about it. When he was 3 wks he had surgery and was on a ventalator for a while. Maybe having the tubes down his throat has made him sensitive to swallowing. The only thing that actually disappears and I know he's swallowed it are carrot puffs that dissolve into nothing.
Will mention this to the HV next week. I have a friends who is a speech pathologist so I'll ask her for her opinion. Thanks!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2012, 12:05:04 pm »
When he was 3 wks he had surgery and was on a ventalator for a while

This is most probably your cause- or i'm VERY suspicious of it... i wasn't sure how to ask if there was anything in the history that would lead to this- but babies that are ventilated can get a bit hypersensitive. I'm a speech pathologist too- but it's actually the sort of thing that isn't really possible to 'treat' online... Does he like to put things in his mouth when he's playing? I reckon that although you may have doubts- that the BLW has been a great plan for your guy- in that when babies have had negative experiences they need to be in comtrol of the food to be comfortable with eating. I would wonder if you may have had MORE difficulties with food refusal if you had gone the traditional route and not given him the control.

Speak to your SP friend- does she have any paediatric feeding experience? She should have some ideas for you anyway!

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline cecelia_at_home

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2012, 15:26:00 pm »
Hi Katy thanks so much! I feel like now I have a plan. I know my friend works with children, but she'll be able to tell me who I need to talk to.

He'll put just about anything in his mouth including anything I shout no about (cat litter ick) more so when he's teething. He has 3 teeth on top and bottom and will bite things including me. Ouch!!

He is very independent and likes to be in control. The couple of times I tried to spoon feed him he turnned into an octopus and I could get the spoon to his mouth and if I did get anything in his mouth he'd spit it back out at me.

dburseth

« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2012, 16:55:13 pm »
cecelia, I was just reading last night in my TP magazine about this in toddlers but maybe it would apply here especially with the ventilator history.  It was saying its likely a way that LOs to experiment and practise control over food in their mouth.  Does he squirrel it in his cheeks? It suggested going to smoother or softer foods until they're comfortable with it.  It was just a little blurb and not likely much help but maybe will help you feel its not totally off the wall for your lo to be doing it.