Author Topic: Weaning thread part 3... Come share experiences and offer support  (Read 213811 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Weaning thread part 3... Come share experiences and offer support
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2013, 20:14:38 pm »
Oh bless her little heart Anna. That sounds tough. I think distraction and lots of cuddle sounds like a good idea.

Colby has asked every day if there is milk there but only half heartedly bless him.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2013, 22:33:48 pm »
Oh Anna   :(

We're still going here. She just keeps asking all the time. And cries when I say no  :'(. Have really had enough.
Claire x

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2013, 21:38:42 pm »
I weaned Evelyn 2 days ago  :'( :'( :'( (mixed in with a "thank goodness"  ;D) :'( :'( :'(

I can't believe we bf til 2.5 years - I would never have predicted that with all her tongue tie and reflux issues!!  I feel bitter sweet about it - I was so ready to stop, and I wasn't producing any milk anyhow, but I also feel so sad that it is the end of her 'baby' days  :'(

She has asked to feed every day since, and is still sad that I am saying no  :(.  How long is that likely to last? 
Claire x

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2013, 21:43:31 pm »
Hugs.  You did so well!  Get yourself some chocolate to counteract the hormone slump.  As for her stopping asking, I have no idea as DD self-weaned. :-\
*** Amanda ***

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2013, 21:48:39 pm »
Well done Claire. It was 2 or 3weeks before they stopped asking here I think. Have you developed a nice alternative routine that includes some lovely snuggling instead?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2013, 22:02:23 pm »
((((hugs))))((((hugs))))((((hugs)))) I know that can't have been easy. Audrey asked for 2-3 weeks. Sometimes she still asks but we sort of joke about it and move on. At the beginning I was giving her a bottle but that was very upsetting for her too so we phased that out. When she asks for boob I say 'Oh shall I get you some milk in a cup?' and just sort of make out like she's asking for milk in general rather than BF, you know?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2013, 22:07:57 pm »
Hugs Claire.

I think Colby asked for a few weeks half heartedly. He actually asked out if the blue 6 wks after we weaned a little while ago but that was just a one off.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2013, 05:52:35 am »
L is still asking every couple of days, mainly if I've been away longer than he's used to and its been a few weeks now - we stopped because my nipples are really sore (still haven't been to the doc ::) ) and he still asks if they're better but he's coping pretty well in general.

Hugs xx Its tough to stop when you've gone this long and LO isn't entirely ok with it :-*

Offline fionaerin

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2014, 19:10:07 pm »
Hello,
I'm reading through the messages to use ideas and would like to ask your opinion for my case. My DD is 13 mo and would like to wean in these days. Fortunately, I am not nursing in the day as I am working, so she's not looking for either. I was giving a bottle with cow milk in BT and she was getting both of them which was great till she'd got a bad stomach virus so I had to stop the cow milk. Now she refuses bottle. And she started to wake up 2-3 times at night and back to sleep with nursing only. What do you suggest, to drop BT first or night wakings (I guess I have to do PU/PD)? I am so scared to break her heart so want to make t smoothly.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2014, 19:57:30 pm »
I'd definitely stop NW first and then BT too if you want to. You can do PUPD (although it is really just pd at this age) or just settle her any way you can to start with. Do you have someone who could perhaps help settle her at night so she isn't expecting milk? E.g. Partner, mum etc.?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 23:52:23 pm by *Ali* »

Offline fionaerin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2014, 23:08:04 pm »
Thanks Ali! My husband tried to settle her before but she doesn't allow him and just cries for me. Then I will try to settle her by PD as you suggested. Do you think when I start to stop on NW, then should I do for all NW? I just don't want to confuse her.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2014, 23:53:07 pm »
Yes I would do it for all nws.

Offline fionaerin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2014, 19:23:57 pm »
Last night it went well actually, she woke up for one time only and in the beginning she wanted breast feeding and cried but then she didn't ask it anymore. Going back to sleep was a bit difficult but we did it :) Then she slept till morning 07.15 am which was great. Let's see tonight.
I have another question, she is not drinking cow's milk in the bottle or sippy cup or in a normal cup. I guess she doesn't like it. As we are in weaning process, she has to drink some and I don't know how to do it. Do you have any experience to make the milk attractive for lo?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2014, 21:37:04 pm »
If she doesn't like milk you can get dairy in her via cheese, yogurt, milk on cereal, milky puddings and sauces. Or if you are desperate for her to drink milk I know some people put a little chocolate powder or vanilla essence in and then reduce it back to straight milk as they get used to drinking it.

Offline Violet's mom

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2014, 00:49:53 am »
Vi will be a year old and saturday and I am really amazed I made it this long bf'ing.  I am hoping to start the weaning process with her but know it will take time and patience because of her personality.  She just loves it so much and would BF all day if I let her.  My current issue is I went back to work three weeks ago and I am trying to do three bf'ing sessions - am, after work, and BT.  Problem is - the after work bf'ing has turned into two hours of back and forth until dinner time.  She is constantly asking.  She does the kiss on the neck area and insistent babbling and I know that's what she wants - do I pretend I don't know and distract her with something else or give in for a little longer until the SA gets better?  Thanks ladies for your input.

**Tracy**