Author Topic: 8.5 month twins, night waking and early morning waking,  (Read 26671 times)

Offline nippo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 8.5 month twins, night waking and early morning waking,
« Reply #285 on: May 20, 2014, 09:40:56 am »
Yay!!!!

I remember the first night I slept through (it was weeks after the babies actually slept through!) I woke up feeling thick headed and groggy because I was so used to surviving on a few hours!

Hope you get a whole proper night's sleep soon xxx
Mummy to two gorgeous twin girls

Offline babybarr

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #286 on: May 20, 2014, 09:45:27 am »
Nippo - join us on the twins thread :)
LAURA xx

Offline Uglybethy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • First time mummy to twin girls.
« Reply #287 on: May 20, 2014, 10:35:34 am »
So so happy for you! Hope your sleep follows soon... That anxiety induced insomnia sounds torturous, but not quite as torturous as the girls getting you up every hour at least :). And like nippo, I had it too.
Fingers crossed for a lovely day for you all.

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #288 on: May 21, 2014, 18:05:57 pm »
Well, it was a fluke. They were up loads last night. But I decided that as they had shown they could sleep through without a feed I didn't feed them in the night....and they weren't happy about it but certainly didn't go ballistic. Naps have been dreadful again today though so we will see what happens tonight!!!

Offline nippo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #289 on: May 21, 2014, 19:08:49 pm »
Don't be disheartened. They've slept through so you're right, they can again. Be strong. You're getting there!  Xxx
Mummy to two gorgeous twin girls

« Reply #290 on: May 22, 2014, 05:29:15 am »
C was really OT yesterday after 3 30 min naps. She woke up at 11 and needed resettling, and at 2 but resettled herself. Both awake at 3:30 but I didn't feed, just shh patted and after half an hour or so both went back to sleep. Z then slept til 5:30. C was up and down a lot but we didn't get up til 6. Don't think she really slept much after 4 though, and she looks knackered today.

Please tell me that now I've dropped that feed they will start to get better!!! And please tell me it won't take too long.....I know they are much better than they were but I am impatient!!!!!!  :D

Offline Uglybethy

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #291 on: May 22, 2014, 10:52:42 am »
It will get better and it won't take too long! Hang in there ok!
Hugs for last night..

« Reply #292 on: May 22, 2014, 13:05:06 pm »
Thank you!! We are having another bad nap day.....grandma is here and they are just too excited to sleep! Put them down at 1:30 and can still hear them chattering away to each other about how exciting it all is!!! Cute but annoying!!!!

Offline Uglybethy

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #293 on: May 22, 2014, 13:14:47 pm »
Yes, on excited days like that you want to enjoy it but the anxiety of managing the routine is always in the back of your mind isn't it. Just wanted to share from my own experience with this, don't be seduced into keeping them up later because they seem happy. They are just stimulated. If they are anything like my two they will take around 30mins to settle into sleep after a fun packed day no matter what time you put them down, so make sure you put them down plenty early enough to account for this.
And with the nap I would allow them no more than ten mins extra before waking them up if they took ages to settle. So if usual wake up is 2.30 I would let them have until 2.40 to make the afternoon slightly less cranky and to preserve bed time. Hope that make sense. I've made the mistake of letting them sleep for their full two hours at nap after going down late, which then leads to a later bed time and simply not enough hours in the night to be restorative because they still wake at 6am (or 5.30 in your case!).

Offline babybarr

« Reply #294 on: May 30, 2014, 06:50:42 am »
How are things going?
LAURA xx

« Reply #295 on: June 01, 2014, 08:21:21 am »
We are just back from holiday and had a great time. The girls had quite a good holiday schedule - up at 6 (which was 5 UK time!), nap 10-11, nap 2:30-4 and bed at 8. Put them to bed at 6:30 last night as had had hardly any naps (flying home) and C woke at 1 and at 4:30, z at 3 and 4.....but both up for the day at 5. Just down for first nap now. Although last night wasn't brilliant I think their night wakings are slowly getting a bit better. The EMW is still a massive problem though....

I start work tomorrow and have told the childminder first nap not before 9 and not longer than an hour, and second nap 1:15 and up by 3. I will pick them up at 6 and get them in bed by 7. We will have to see how that goes for a bit - she has some older kids to look after too so there might be a limit to how much I can demand from nap tweaking! She has an assistant to do the school run though so we don't have that stress. Assuming that all goes ok, where should I go with the EMW? Is it possible that they only need 10h at night?!? If they sleep well in those 10h they don't seem tired in the morning, and with C particularly it is usually v obvious if she is tired! And this morning they played in their cots until 6:15 before I had to get them up. Had to do a bit of shh pat at about half 5 but even with that they didn't sleep.

Offline babybarr

« Reply #296 on: June 01, 2014, 08:39:44 am »
They might be getting ready to change to one nap ?

Glad you had a nice holiday.
LAURA xx

Offline Uglybethy

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #297 on: June 01, 2014, 17:01:58 pm »
Hi lily!
Glad you had a lovely time! Ooh work tomorrow... That's a big change for you and for the girls. Given that, I would stick with the two nap plan for at least a few weeks so they have plenty of time to process all that emotion and if it becomes apparent that a ten hour night is all you're going to get from them then you can either do a slightly later bed time or, like Laura said, start a transition to one nap.
Good luck for your first day back tomorrow!
Keep us posted with how the night times are going...
X

« Reply #298 on: June 02, 2014, 10:28:21 am »
OK, last night they slept from bedtime til 4, then C had a quick grumble but settled with dummy and firm hand, then both up at 5 but played til 6 when I got them up.  It's not perfect, but it is very sustainable! CM has texted and they slept 9-10 with no issues.

So we will give it a little while like this and see what happens.  My feeling at the moment is that I will accept EMW for the sake of happy little souls in the day, at least while we all settle down.  To go to one nap (even if it's 2h long!) they will need to do 6h awake time either side because of their 14h day and I think that is v ambitious at the moment! I have a week off in August so might try then, they will be 13 months old by then.  Unless they do it themselves before then I suppose!

Am loving these better nights!!

Offline babybarr

« Reply #299 on: June 02, 2014, 10:44:12 am »
they will need to do 6h awake time either side because of their 14h day
You'll probably find they extend their nights.  Most do anyway!!
LAURA xx