Author Topic: Same nap time when lo wakes late in morning?  (Read 8935 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: Same nap time when lo wakes late in morning?
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2015, 15:29:05 pm »
True. He woke up himself at 645/650 so just about a 12 hour night so maybe he will nap. Although I feel like it's more habit now than anything for him to cry and call for me when I put him in crib. I'll probably end up wiwo a bunch of times. Maybe I'll try the 3 car ride I did try it one day and nothing. What is the developmental resistance about?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2015, 17:24:37 pm »
I put him down at 110 he cried for a minute than laid down tried to get comfy then cried for a few seconds was rolling around until about 120 and fell asleep! I didn't even wiwo I just gave him a little time to see if he would calm down or if he continued to get upset I would go in but I didn't have to! He hasn't napped since wed! Is this what it will be like now? He will eithergo for days without a nap or cry and call for me at every nsptime? He was up at 645 today so that's 6.5-7 hours A time! Maybe I'll try at 130 tomorrow. This is stressful! :)

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2015, 18:05:18 pm »
We had nap refusals leading up to 2nd birthday, never quite that many in a row but they did happen.  And then a whole load of sleep (long naps and long nights) around 2nd birthday or just after before the proper nap dropping started ;). My DD didn't cry when nap resisting, just messed around in bed and never went to sleep but we just kept trying even when we were down to 1/no naps per week she would still go in her bed for quiet time.  Frustrating but my best advice is pick yourself a plan and stick to it.  We just offered nap at same time every day (I think we pushed as late as a 1.30pm put down for a 6.30/7am-7pm day) and got her up after an hour or so if she wasn't asleep, or woke her after an hour or so if she did sleep.  BT was 7 on a nap day, 6.30 on a no nap day.  Eventually the nap went completely when bedtime on a nap day became a circus ;) :P

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2015, 18:33:13 pm »
Thank you for that info! I do try to stick with putting him in crib every day around 1. If he didn't cry and call me and get so upset I would be ok with the quiet time but it doesn't work out that way. I'll wake him today at 245 1.5 nap and go back to normal bedtime before the no naps at 8 and see how he does. Maybe with a normal 11 hour night he will go back to napping tomorrow. It just gets so stressful with the crying and having to wiwo 5 times resulting in no nap. I can see why people just give up on the nap! So a 12 hour day is typical once they drop the nap?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2015, 18:46:10 pm »
Often a shorter day for a while, some do as short as 10.5-11h days when first on NNDs.  We just did a set BT and didn't wake in the morning and she ended up regulating to around an 11.5-12h day. Now she typically sleeps 11.5h or so but stays in room until clock says it's time to get up :)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2015, 21:29:44 pm »
He woke up from nap at 240 so about a 1 hr 20 min nap. Didn't wake crying. Has been pleasant all afternoon and one thing I noticed is that he's been playing quietly by himself with his cars and different things for long periods concentrating and focusing which he doesn't normally do. Amazing what you can do when you nap. I also wonder if this was the developmental thing you mentioned that he was going through. Going to try for730/8 bedtine

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2015, 01:07:42 am »
Put lo into crib at 745 tonight he was rubbing his eyes while reading and putting his head down. He didn't fall asleep until 820! He was up at 645 and took a 1 hr 15 min nap but being that he hadn't napped in 4 days and was in bed by 630 I thought he would've passed out?!!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2015, 03:51:46 am »
Kids are funny creatures...my DD3 was up at 6:30 or so, napped for 40 min at 1:00 and still resisted bedtime at 8:45 (later than usual due to older kids soccer game). We are also in a weird phase of her wanting me to hold & snuggle her before she will go in her crib (she still goes down awake). She is checking where I am 24/7 so I think we are in a new stage of SA...seriously when I am driving she shouts from the back "Mom? Mom? MOM!" until I say "Hi E...Mommy is driving!"..."Oh!" (Lol not sure where she thinks I went!).
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2015, 14:32:00 pm »
Same here... Mom mommy ma!! Lol. Our routine now is lunch then clean up up for clean diaper and right into crib. If I do later nap around 130 what do we do in between lunch and nap. He has a hard time going from playing to up into crib. I don't think it will work lol.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2015, 17:27:12 pm »
At what point do you just give up on nsptime? No nap again today so that's thurs-sun (4 days) without a nap he napped yesterday and none again today. A lot of people I talk to say their kids dropped the nap at 2. It's becoming too stressful. I just hate the early bedtime as my husband doesn't get to spend much time. Ugh what about quiet time instead some people mentioned. I don't think he would play quietly in his room he sure won't in the crib he just cries an screams for me.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2015, 17:40:39 pm »
He's not yet 2 right?  Given he's been napping just fine up until the last few days and never historically been super LSN I would keep offering.  Push it later.  Give lunch later if necessary (if LO is hungry give a snack to get to later lunchtime).  I wouldn't encourage a nap drop at this age given how much developmental sleep regressions can mess with sleep.  Even if you do, you will need to offer some form of quiet time.  You could try down time on the sofa if you want but to be honest I feel unless you are looking at the nap really going for good (I think not just yet, but it's your call) then I would keep persevering in bed.  As soon as you stop that routine I think the likelihood of successful naps plummets. 

Just talk us through - what time is WU/BT right now with all these NNDs and what time are you trying for the nap.  For how long?  How are you doing the WIWO or whatever you are doing?  Do you get the sense it's become a game/battle of wills?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2015, 18:46:39 pm »
Before the nnd's he was doing on average a 7 wake 1-2:15/230 nap bedtime at 8. On the days with no nap he was passing out at 630 and I'd have to wake him in the morning around 745! I'm no ready to give up yet but it is becoming too stressful. I find that after doing wiwo a few times laying him back down leaving the room only for him to start crying again once I would get him out of crib and him not napping I would feel annoyed and stressed and I don't want to play or run around etc. this is where I feel that the stress of it is not worth it as I'm the one who ends up cranky. As far as quiet time or resting on the couch, once he's out of crib he's wild standing on the bed running around talking like crazy. It's bizzar and exhausting. It's def become a game! I tried the car ride one day at 330 and nothing and its not really s convenient time for a drive for me as I'm trying to get dinner ready and chores done that I normally do at nsptime

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2015, 21:58:18 pm »
Hmm...I stopped DD1 napping at 2.5 to keep a decent bedtime and DD2 was happy with quiet time - napped if she needed to, laid in bed and sang to herself otherwise. We did go through a phase with DD1 around 2 years old that was horrendous but she did start napping again. I think I would persist with the nap and waking him in the morning as well so his nights aren't compensating for no nap.
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2015, 00:10:47 am »
Tonight he passed out at 630 I can wake him by 7 tomorrow and try for a nap around 1:30. It's become so routine now that I put him in crib walk out and he stats crying calling me. We don't do cio so I end up going back in after a minute lay him down and repeat. It's exhausting. He knows I'm going to come back in when he cries so he does. It's a game even if he's tired. Just knowing that I have to look forward to that everyday is stressful. And as I mentioned there's no quiet time for him it's opposite he gets wild and fresh

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2015, 03:22:44 am »
What happens if you sit in the room and do more of a gradual withdrawal than wi/wo?
Heidi