Author Topic: 8.5 month twins, night waking and early morning waking,  (Read 26677 times)

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: 8.5 month twins, night waking and early morning waking,
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2014, 08:46:42 am »
You are not a failure honey!! This is hard enough with one baby and with night support, managing two on your own is very very tough. Here to hold your hand sweetie.

I think going with the dummy is quite possibly the right move for you now. It will help while you try and settle two babies.

Can't post more for now but will come back later - couldn't read and not add hugs xxxx
~ Naomi ~

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2014, 08:54:05 am »
Thank you!!

Offline nippo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2014, 09:05:25 am »
No way are you a failure!! Omg I take my hat off to you for managing on your own at night. I could never do that (I think it's amazing you've got this far!!)

Try not to put too much pressure on yourself. If it feels stressful for you and the babies then stop. Every day is a new start and if you feel you can't do it wait until you feel that you can.

I think sleep training twins is really hard. It's impossible to split yourself in 2 and the length of time it takes in the beginning, you really need another person to help you. I made my husband take 2 weeks off work I found it so hard.

Please don't be hard on yourself. You've done so brilliantly xxxx

Mummy to two gorgeous twin girls

« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2014, 08:21:26 am »
Thanks again, I feel a whole lot better! The dummy is the right decision for us, we were all dreading every nap and bedtime so we are all a lot calmer now! And last night was reasonable:

Bed at 7:30 (had had really long pm nap so pushed bedtime a bit later)
C woke at 10 for dummy - held it out to her (have tied it in a muslin until her sleepytot arrives) and she plugged it in in the end. She then woke at 2 for a feed, a few shenanigans getting back to sleep with dummy falling out but then back down til 5:10. I heard her whimpering a bit on odd occasions but must have put herself back to sleep.
Z woke at 12:30 for feed (unusual for her!), then at 4 for feed, then up at 5:10 but I think that's because C woke her.

So.....if I can get C to sort out her own dummy and I go to bed at 8:30 and Z goes back to sleeping til 2 and I stop fighting it and let them get up at 5......that will be one night waking!!!!!!!!! Then I will try and wean that feed off by doing the feed for less time thing and we will all sleep through the night!!

;D guess we are a way off that....but it feels good to have had a less traumatic night, even if I still saw nearly every hour I think!!

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2014, 08:27:05 am »
Glad you feel a bit more positive about things. :-*

Nippo I don't suppose you fancy hopping on to my thread too to see what you think please?

Help needed with twins
LAURA xx

Offline nippo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2014, 19:35:30 pm »
Sure! Although I'm no expert! X
Mummy to two gorgeous twin girls

« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2014, 05:14:08 am »
Ok, serves me right for being smug, but last night was just awful. Can anyone help? Here is yesterday's EASY.....

5:10 awake for the day
5:30 BF
6:30 breakfast
9:10 nap (was meant to be 9:00 fixed nap but took a while to settle!)

9:42 awake - woken by doorbell and wouldn't resettle so up
11:30 bf
12:30 lunch
13:20 sleep (was meant to be 13:30 but settled really quickly). C needed resettling twice during nap but slept til 15:30

15:30 BF
17:30 supper
Asleep by 19:15

Night wakings - c at 10 (handed dummy, back to sleep), 11 (needed shh pat), 11:20 (more shh pat), 11:30 (just shhh). Awake at 2 for feed, then at 4 (brought her into our bed, was desperate!!), up 5:30

Z at midnight (fed), 2 (shh pat), 3 (shh pat), 4 (fed). Up at 5:30

All 4 of us knackered and cross. Any suggestions welcome!!!

Offline babybarr

« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2014, 05:55:32 am »
Waking every hr often suggests pain or discomfort - thinking of z night. But to be honest after my night it sounds like yours also need to learn to 'resettle' without you at all. Not that I know the answer esp when you're trying to keep one asleep.
LAURA xx

« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2014, 06:07:07 am »
The thing is that they can - I heard lots and lots of little cries then resettling in the night. And usually they are reasonably good at it - z sucks her thumb, c has her dummy. But c was crying with the dummy in her mouth and was really upset esp between 11 and 12. No obvious teeth but who knows? Maybe I'll give them some meds tonight and see if it helps!

Offline babybarr

« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2014, 07:17:33 am »
The thing is mine can also resettle it just isn't v consistent.

Worth trying some meds perhaps.
LAURA xx

Offline Uglybethy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • First time mummy to twin girls.
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2014, 10:32:16 am »
Oh poor you. What a fantastic day though! That second nap... Wonderful :).
Did they have another bf before bed? Assuming they did and you just didn't write it down?
I'm guessing an overtired nighttime as wake up so early.... But that's going to shift over time remember!
I'd say keep going with it and it's going to settle down at night.
You're doing an amazing job and I can only imagine the pain you're in after a night like that (though that never comes across in your writing). They are going to have another two hour nap later so you can shut your eyes for an hour....I said so!
Sending strength for today and the next few nights

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2014, 10:53:38 am »
But c was crying with the dummy in her mouth and was really upset esp between 11 and 12. No obvious teeth but who knows? Maybe I'll give them some meds tonight and see if it helps!

I agree that meds are worth a try :)

They are going to have another two hour nap later so you can shut your eyes for an hour....I said so!

I second this!!!

Looking at the day I agree with UB that it was probably OT wakings. Try not to worry about it, this was your first day of fixing the naps and this usually leads to OT for the first few days. It can take up to a week for LOs to settle onto a more fixed routine, so stay strong and keep going, here to hold your hand - you can do it :) xxx
~ Naomi ~

« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2014, 13:01:38 pm »
Thanks everyone!! It's all gone to pot today as we had a hospital appointment and I thought they'd sleep in the car on the way there, and c did but z didn't so by the time she fell asleep and had half an hour c had had 1:15 and I couldn't really wake her as we had to keep driving for z to sleep. Then c had 10 mins in the car on the way back (after an A time of 90 mins!!!!). Have just put them down now, will freestyle the rest of the day and try again tomorrow. You were all right about teeth though....1 more poking through for c today! That's 3 teeth in 3 weeks, gah!! Lots of drugs tonight!!

Thanks again for the support. My husband wanted to let them CIO at 11 but I feel v supported to say that is a bad thing to do, and now I've seen the tooth I'm esp glad I didn't!!

Offline Uglybethy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • First time mummy to twin girls.
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2014, 13:05:35 pm »
Ughhh yes wing it for the rest of the day! Ughhhh teeth!!

« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2014, 18:35:49 pm »
This is a new problem - C falls asleep beautifully at the beginning of the night, I wasn't even in the room, with or without dummy, then wakes up 10 mins later screaming. It is then taking ages for her to resettle. She falls asleep for up to 5 mins then wakes up screaming again. We've been at it for nearly an hour. She's holding the dummy in herself and screaming round it. I'm right beside her cot saying the sleepy words so she's not scared, she's full of calpol, she has her dummy. I don't understand what's happening? I have had to come back in the room as she was going ballistic.

Do I just need to either be tougher and stay outside the room saying the sleepy words and let her scream herself to sleep? Or does this mean she has lost trust in me and I need to restart the gradual retreat?

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!! It's really unfair to have such a difficult baby as part of twins!!! Twins should all be good sleepers!!!