Author Topic: Longer and confusing NW  (Read 13527 times)

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Longer and confusing NW
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2016, 20:33:23 pm »
Haha well we can certainly keep chatting about it, you know I don't like to make promises :P but I also meant to keep doing the same for the am nap, since it's both As and the first nap length combined which need to be consistent in order to see if they're working. I mean, you could keep the 3.5h second A consistent but the effect won't be if the first nap varies in length or was taken at a different time. So if you've decided to wake after an hour in the morning then stick to that for a while and then give the 3.5h A, does that make sense?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2016, 21:16:17 pm »
Yes definitely makes sense  :)

Ok we will see how it goes. I tried a second A of 3.5 and he was not really having it lol he fell asleep closer to 3.40 A but woke up at 35 ??? Then I managed to pat him back to sleep in less than a minute so I'll see how long this nap is. Maybe it was slightly UT or OT or who knows haha
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2016, 21:18:58 pm »
Probably OT but try not to worry about that for now - we suspect he's generally OT right now anyway and he needs some good sleeps to catch up - which he won't if he's UT. So a resettled OT is probably what we want...I think :P

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2016, 21:22:21 pm »
Ok! I say OT is definitely better than UT.

Well he woke up at 55 minutes trying to go to sleep but kept popping back up, I went into the room and took me 15 minutes to settle. That's never happened before.

My general question is how long does it take for an OT baby to get back on track? I know every baby is different I'm just wondering if there is a range.

Also is it possible that he may need a little less sleep? I guess I won't know for another couple of days.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 17:07:58 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2016, 18:59:07 pm »
I'm a bit confused, sorry - was that his second nap, waking at 35 and then 55 and then resettled again? How long did he go for in the end?

Oh dear I'm afraid there's such a range for getting over OT, quite dependent on what routine you're aiming for too etc. I think sometimes I've been 'lucky' and just tried the right thing for my LO and it's worked, whilst other times I too just get caught in a cycle for ages. Trouble is, they're all different and what works for one may not with another.

It's certainly possible that he doesn't need as much sleep as you're trying to get him to have, I guess a good indicator of that is to log what's actually happening together with his behaviour. But I won't pretend it's easy :-\ :-*

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2016, 19:10:41 pm »
Haha it's anything but easy!

So it was his pm nap where he woke up at 35 then 55; I managed to resettle and he slept for 1:40.

I put him down for bed 3.5 after the pm nap and he woke up 1.5 hrs after BT screaming and crying. It could be BT was too late or it was discomfort.

Today I put him down for his am nap and he woke up at 25 minutes due to construction noises am outside. I even have white noise but it was really loud. Anyways, I tried to resettle for 15 minutes then gave up and moved on. Now ok waiting to see how the rest of the day goes.

I figure OT takes a bit to sort out especially when trying to establish a new nap schedule. Almost feels like I'm running in circles bc he's OT so I can't decipher whether A times are ok and this is nights are funny which add to the OT. Funny thing is we are traveling next week where there will be a 3 hour time difference. So  everything I'm doing here will be blown up when we go away lol
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2016, 19:20:53 pm »
How annoying about the construction work :( with you there, the flat below us is having their kitchen and bathroom replaced (and flooring, and probably more too!), so naps are rather hit and miss at the moment here. Also going away in a couple of weeks for SIL's wedding - four days of either travelling or parties, so probably little sleep there too...sometimes we just have to 'go with the flow', but as a definite Myers-Briggs 'J' myself, I do find that very hard :P

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2016, 19:55:27 pm »
haha! I also find myself having a really hard time going with the flow and now worrying about my DS not being well rested  ::)

Funny that's where we are going too! My SIL is getting married in a week so that's why we are flying out.

Here's to going with the flow!
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2016, 19:56:34 pm »
;D

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2016, 21:09:58 pm »
So interesting thing happened:

I did a 3.25A this morning to try for a UT nap. He woke up from noise as I mentioned before and probably UT since he didn't settle even with APOP. So I did another A of 3.25 and he actually napped for 1:10 straight. I resettled but it took 15 minutes. Not sure if the noise woke him up or maybe bc first nap was shorter on the A side he wasn't as tired.

Anyways, I'm wondering if maybe an hour am nap is either too much or I need to maybe push the second A after an hr nap to get a decent pm nap. not sure how to work it out for a 13 hr day.

Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2016, 11:57:20 am »
So he napped 1:10 and then resettled afterwards, but it took 15mins? How long did he nap for in total that time?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2016, 12:58:23 pm »
He ended up doing 1.5 hrs then I did an almost 3.5 A to bed. He woke up 2 hours crying then rest of the night was ok. He woke up at around 2 for a feed then at almost 6 for another feed then up for the day at 7:30. He did an 11 hour night.

Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2016, 18:42:20 pm »
Well that's interesting, doesn't sound too bad really? So perhaps something like this could work...

7:30 Up
10:45-11:30 nap 1
3:15-4:45 nap 2
8:15 BT

Just thinking aloud really - sounds like he was a touch OT today and of course his naps had gaps for resettling so that pushes the day out a bit, doesn't it - if he slept straight through he'd need either slightly longer naps or slightly longer A times. My tentative plan above has a longer second A than today, since the first nap there is 45mins and you don't want a UT second nap. But you could probably come up with something better yourself :-*

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2016, 19:48:03 pm »
Hi Timbler!

Well the little guy just made things more interesting lol

Today he ended up doing a 3.5A to the minute and gave me an hour nap uninterrupted and woke up happy!

I went for a 3.5 A and he was falling asleep however something he ate upset his stomach so he was crying and pooped in that moment of trying to settle. He is now asleep after3.75A in my arms. He stirred around 50 minutes but kept sleeping. I'm thinking:

WU 7:30
S 11-11:45
S 3:30-5 pm
BT 8:30 pm

Maybe this can work?

So perhaps he's getting over his OT?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 20:52:17 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline trimbler

« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2016, 18:50:52 pm »
Yes, perhaps - although I'm afraid I couldn't quite follow how yesterday actually went, please could you write it out for me to make it a bit clearer for my poor sleep-deprived brain? :P