Author Topic: WEANING thread #2... Come share experiences and offer support  (Read 85485 times)

Offline jlisenby19

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: WEANING thread #2... Come share experiences and offer support
« Reply #240 on: July 12, 2011, 17:47:08 pm »
Hugs Giorgina ** 
My DD, 12 mos, starting self weaning between 10-11 months...she was down to 3X daily (morning, noon, bedtime) and didn't seem too interested except for the night feeding.  On the eve of her 1st birthday, it all changed...she started wanting to nurse--more, sometimes--and is now wanting to nurse herself to soothe into a nap! She did this at 9 mos, too, so I'm hoping it's a growth spurt/developmental issue.  I had hoped to have her weaned in about a month, but just found out we're moving to Northern Virginia (from Texas).  She is also cutting molars...I'm thinking I might need to wait as I don't want it to be too stressful on her.

Any thoughts?

Offline j.and.e

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #241 on: December 11, 2011, 17:55:03 pm »
Any advice for weaning BT bf at 12mo? Lo has never taken bottle and has been offrd bm in a cup but only drank 1sip! He drinks water fine. Have tried 2difrent cups. Do i just have to put him 2bed w.o it, or keep going w. Bf until he acepts cup? Xx

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #242 on: December 11, 2011, 22:02:07 pm »
He doesn't need the milk like he did previously so if you want to stop even though he isn't taking the cup he can get the nutrients he needs from solids. Will he have cm? My lo Will drink hot milk better than cold. Is that your last feed or are you doing one earlier in the day?

Offline j.and.e

« Reply #243 on: December 12, 2011, 08:51:09 am »
am curently doing 3, am, lunch and bt. Plan to drop lunch sn as will be at work. Wud like to wean bt so dh can put baby 2bed, and MIL. Thanx 4ur help xx

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #244 on: December 12, 2011, 19:06:47 pm »
I wouldn't worry about the milk if you are still doing the morning feed. That with some cheese or yogurt or milk with cereal or cooking should be ok. I didn't wean the bt feed until the end but if i wasn't around at bt i would just miss it out and offer some hot milk. If he didn't want it we didn't worry.

Offline j.and.e

« Reply #245 on: December 12, 2011, 19:51:31 pm »
Thanks kalam's mama. Think it will b tough as he is v attachd 2bt bf and feeds 2sleep. I am struggling with this, as am underpressure to wean so MIL and DH can do bt, but they will 'blame' me if he doesnt settle well w.o it. I dont have a problem continuing to bf while he is still a baby, but praps i shud wean as maybe it'l b easier at 1 than 18mo... Xx

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #246 on: December 12, 2011, 20:39:34 pm »
I BF to 2yo and it really wasn't that bad to wean. I would carry on if you are happy to. Does he know how to settle himself? You may be surprised how hesettles if you are not there. Even when my DS1 was used to falling asleep on the BF he woulds ettle ok for DH when I wasn't around.

Offline j.and.e

« Reply #247 on: December 12, 2011, 20:48:48 pm »
Thanks! Am happy 2carry on, apart from the 'social' pressure... Xx

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #248 on: December 12, 2011, 20:57:48 pm »
If anyone gave me trouble I just said I was aiming for the recommended 2 years as I felt I owed him that. Is it outsiders or family giving you a hard time?

Offline j.and.e

« Reply #249 on: December 12, 2011, 21:12:52 pm »
I think DH and MIL feel a bit "shut out". They mostly acepted that i 'didnt want to bother with bottles', but asumed i would wean at 1yr when back at work (this is when i weand ds1). I dont think we are having anymore and am sad to think of weaning. I want ds2 to still be my little baby! Xx

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #250 on: December 12, 2011, 21:19:10 pm »
Then don't be pushed into weaning. You won't regret continuing. I also went back to work at 13mo and continued to do the ama nd BT Bf fine. ON the weekend I would do 3 feeds sometimes too. Why don't you head out and see how he goes at BT with DH?

Offline j.and.e

« Reply #251 on: December 12, 2011, 21:24:17 pm »
Thanks for ur support! Will see what we can arrange! Xx

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #252 on: December 12, 2011, 22:05:24 pm »
Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Offline EricaM31

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #253 on: January 03, 2012, 17:54:05 pm »
Hiu everyone,

I have made the decision to wean my son at 7 months for personal reasons.  I breastfed my daughter for a 1 year until she weaned herself.  It is a bit hard but I want to 100% and will go through with it.  When my son was younger we gave some bottles of pumped milk and even some formula to see if he would take to it and he did.  Now he is 6.5 months and will not drink formula from the bottle.  I have been using the tips from baby whisperer and then had to pump and gave him the expressed milk and he took it down no problem....I guess I just have to stick with keep trying every hour with the formula until he takes it?  So I will be doing all bottles for 24 hours and pumping, then after he is used to it I will be starting with one bottle, then 2, 3 and so on and pumping in placement of that as the book says.?>?? Does anyone have any other suggestiosn?

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #254 on: January 08, 2012, 19:49:25 pm »
Hi sorry you haven't had a reply sooner. How is it going?
So you will stop BF completely? When do you plan to make the switch fully? Just wondering why you will continue to pump and when you will stop doing this? If he will take a bottle but not the formula have you tried a different formula? Maybe he doesn't like the taste? Do you DF? I find they are more likely to take it then than in the day, maybe you could try at that time?