Author Topic: Babies of Oct-Dec /04  (Read 123415 times)

Offline pdb

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #600 on: September 01, 2005, 00:25:32 am »
caroline - I agree with what Lindsey said about Good Night Sleep Tight.  I found it very helpful.  There is even a Chapter on co-sleeping.  The author, Kim West, says that if you're comfortable with it, then by all means keep it up.  She also gives suggestions on how to get everyone sleeping better in a shared bed and tips for how to move your child to their own bed when you are ready for it.  I think her techniques are very similar to BW, but like Lindsey said, a little more realistic.  I love BW but although Tracy mentioned in her book that with some children this age you need to leave the room, there aren't a lot of details on how to do that or when it's considered crying it out vs. letting them fall asleep on their own.  The sleep lady shuffle that West uses was much easier for me that PU/PD.  I think it was easier on my dd too.

Lindsey - I cracked up when I read your comments about the toys.  I too was one of the rock and stick people. :roll: I haven't bought  any toys for Susana except a set of plastic keys and that Aquarium toy for the side of the crib, but that's only because my mil brings a carload of stuff every time she visits. (which is about once a week)  Needless to say she has way more than I ever thought necessary.  But isn't it funny how they'd much rather play with a cardboard box?  I will say I put up all the noisy toys on occasion just to be sure she still has an imagination of her own.   It did kind of freak me out one day when she was going back and forth between her giant Peek-a-Blocks toy and activity table, pressing all the buttons that make noise, like she was possessed.   :shock:
Phoebe

Offline jillybeansmith

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #601 on: September 01, 2005, 01:42:10 am »
lil'monkey - Con loves to toss himself all the way back so that his head is hanging off my lap upside down...He loves it so much that he resists me when I bring him back up by stiffening his torso...

Offline jillybeansmith

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #602 on: September 01, 2005, 01:43:46 am »
lil'monkey - the only problem with that is that I absolutely cannot let him sit by himself, because he launches himself backwards, and doesn't know the difference between being on my lap and me catching him, or the floor...

lil'monkey

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #603 on: September 01, 2005, 02:15:34 am »
hehehe...dd is like that too!  I think that she has no fear!  Today she tried to crawl off the edge of the bed, i wanted to see if she knows the difference b/w thin air and the edge.  I recall seeing a documentary on the cognitive developemnt of fear in babies and they say that fear ( not separation anxiety) isn't developed till about 12-16 mos.  I wonder if I can sell the idea of Baby Fear Factor to Hollywood, hmmmm...

Are there anybody on the convertible or 3-in-1 carseat?  DD no longer fits in the infant seat and I'm curious as to which model is best.  So far, I'm considering the Alpha Omega Elite.

Offline jillybeansmith

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #605 on: September 01, 2005, 14:38:14 pm »
lil'monkey - we're Canadian, but this is one that we found as Sears...we love it, it's the Eddie Bauer Stage III...there is likely the same thing in the U.S...Here's the link...
http://www.searsbaby.ca/e/products/productdetail.cfm?&ProdId=1871&ProductCatId=70&PageNumber=1&MaxRecordsToDisplay=7&MinimumPrice=0&MaximumPrice=0&ProductTypeId=0&BrandID=0&ColourFamilyID=0&SizeValue=

He's very snug and safe, and him being a little bigger, there is lots of room rear facing...

Offline jillybeansmith

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #606 on: September 01, 2005, 14:38:53 pm »
Sorry...I see your canadian too....Go to sears.ca...

Offline Pete's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #607 on: September 01, 2005, 14:42:41 pm »
We didn't go for the 3 in 1... We choose the Britax Marathon.  Tried out a few to see which would fit in the car best and it was the winner...

I am very envious that you made it this long with the infant seat - it was so convenient, Peter was out of his at 5 1/2 months....
Jen
-----------
Peter Andrew 11/23/04

Offline hannah'smom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #608 on: September 01, 2005, 14:53:51 pm »
Well I think Hannah may actually crawl. She lunges forward (which she has done for a week or so) and before she used to fall on her face and now she lunges and holds her self up. SHe shuffles a little bit it almost looks like a crab walk. 

We too have a huge collection of toys and books. I tell DH its more for me then her. I get tired of reading the same books and playing with the same toys. I also tell him that they are an investment because we will be able to use them for the next child and we won't need to buy any more (we all know that isn't true however it seems like a good justification at the time).

We'll were back to waking up a few times a night. SHe was up at 2 and 6. I fed her at 6 and she slept until 8. I don't know if this is such a good habit we are starting but it seems to work for now.

Hi little monkey-we have the three in one Alpha Omega Elite. It is exactly the same as the eddie bauer (cosco makes eddie bauer). THe only difference is the colour of the fabric and the price (50 dollars cheaper). I found this out when I was doing some research online.

have a good day everyone

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #609 on: September 01, 2005, 15:25:24 pm »
We use the Britax Marathon too. Hurts the wallet but hands down one of the best buys we've made. LOVE it!  :D

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

lil'monkey

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #610 on: September 01, 2005, 16:18:22 pm »
Thank you.  I'll start dong my research.  DD actually outgrew hers about a month ago but I keep on putting it off as it is soooo convienient.

Jen - I live in Calgary too.  Where about are you?

Man...I hate it when she poops when sleeping!  I thought that I have her bm figured out by now as it has been pretty regular for months now.  One tip I heard regarding toliet training is to go for the really cheap no name brand diapers if you don't want to use cloth.

Hannah'smom - I'm guilty on the books!  I love to read and already have started a collection of classics for dd.  Little Women, Black Beauty, Charlotte's Web, The Lion, the Witch,.., I get funny looks when I asked for books at dd's baby shower in lieu of toys.  Instead I get too many layette sets, socks, teddy bears and other useless stuffs.  I think the one useless gift we received was a small diamond pendant.  The thought was nice but she won't be wearing till she's a teen.  BTW, it gave from a childless couple.   :roll:

Gotto.  I'm treating myself to a facial.  Got to get rid of all the pimples before returning to work. :oops:

Offline Jadynsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #611 on: September 01, 2005, 16:43:08 pm »
Hi girls,

I have only a few mins because of Jadyn being all over the place.  She's on the floor now & somehow is in between the highchair legs. :roll:

Caroline - I do plan on nursing til around 16 or 18 mos.  It's probably more for me than for her :oops:  I love nursing & it's been very easy for her to latch on and she's done in less than 10mins for every feed.  People (friends) think it'll be horrible to nurse an 18mo old, but I don't care.  She is my baby, and they can do whatever they like with their baby.  She is bfing 7, 11, 3:15 and 7:15pm right now.  The df was dropped about 2 wks ago and it's been very smooth.  She woke up for about 3 nights, but after that she sleeps right through. 
I will drop the 11am feeding in about 2mos (10mos) and probably go to am & pm feeding around 14 or 16mos.  It all depends on how she deals with it.  She's doing so much better with solids now that I know she's getting full at each feeding.  I still bf first then give the solids after an hour.

Mimi - I, too, invested in the Britax Marathon like Sharon and could't be happier.  I wished I had two, but at that price I don't think so.

Jillybeansmith - Sorry about little Connor & his texture food.  What does he eat these days?

Phoebe - On her birthday, I plan on having a separate party after our usual Christmas celebration.  I guess when she gets older, we will have to figure something else out, like your 6mo idea.  Except it will still be during school being out (June 26th).

It seems like our lo's are just busy busy busy and on the go go go.  I wished she would stop & be still for a little bit.  She won't even stop to give me kisses any more.  She pushes my face away & laughs. :( 
Funny thing she's doing & it has me and dh kinda perplexed.  She tilts her head to the right, like she's trying to get a look at a different angle???  She does it when she's staring at something, esp our digital clock.  Cracks me up, but at the same time kinda worries me. ... I know I just want to worry about nothing. :D

Sharon - Which teeth are coming out??  I think Jadyn is trying to have one come out as she is feeling her gum like she did when her other ones came out.  Is it the bottom or the top eye teeth?

Our poor little Jadyn has no toys that are new.  I got all of them from yardsales for like a $1 a piece.  She definitely prefers paper (eating them or tearing it to pieces), my cell phone and any little pieces of fuzz that is on the floor. :roll:

Better go since she's standing up using the coffee table.  Don't want any more black eyes. :wink:

Kathy

Offline dixiedutch

• Showing Appreciation 1
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #612 on: September 01, 2005, 19:19:31 pm »
Hello Everyone!

Today is not a good nap day. :evil: Lana woke after about 30 minutes and she is still tired because she is inconsolable.

Do any of you try to put an hour or so in your day when it is just play time? I realized that I was so busy doing other things: computer, cleaning, cooking, errands, etc. that I was not taking time to focus JUST on Lana. I've been trying to spend the hour after lunch just playing and interacting with her.

Mimi...I know what you mean about the drool. I wish it was a potion for eternal youth; I could bottle it, sell it, and make a fortune. We go through several outfits a day. I thought you had a great idea collecting classics. I've been thinking of the books I want to read with Lana, but I have not invested yet. What a great idea; what a lasting treasure for Mikayla.

Lindsey...I wonder if it is spirited babies who have a bugger of a time with PU/PD....thanks for the input...

Phoebe...that was quite funny about the peek-a-blocks and the activity table :D thanks for the input on "Goodnight"...yet another book to buy...

Wow....speaking of things to buy...the Britax Marathon car seat is certainly expensive...we do plan to buy one, but hapilly Lana is just over 16lbs and still fits in our infant seat....the time is coming soon, though.

Kathy...thanks for the input on late breastfeeding. Lana and I worked so  hard to achieve success that I really do hate to give it up, too. I am copying your plan for dropping feedings into the hints I save from these conversations, thanks so much for taking the time to type it all out while Jaydyn was crawling under the highchair and over the coffee table.

By keeping the am/pm feedings, do you mean first in the morning and last at night?

The only problem is breastfeeding keeps me 10 lbs heavier than I like to be....vanity, vanity, vanity.....

best wishes for a good day to all,

Caroline

Offline dixiedutch

• Showing Appreciation 1
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #613 on: September 01, 2005, 19:23:45 pm »
PS Mimi facials are the ULTIMATE treat....I am so jealous  :wink:

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #614 on: September 01, 2005, 19:40:40 pm »
really only have a sec will write more later just had to say BLAH Caroline, I stopped bf months ago and still can't shake that last 10lbs!!! At least you have a great reason for it!  :lol:
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008