Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2  (Read 75997 times)

Offline ~Sara~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 264
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters - Part 2
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2011, 13:43:07 pm »
Thanks, Karen...will have to try them this weekend when I can go to the grocery store.

Well, we had an interesting dinner last night.  It was pizza, for crying out loud, and that's all Aaron DID at dinnertime.  He ate only 3-5 bites, drank some water, and that was that.  Ugh...I'm hoping it's molars or some kind of illness that's making him feel a bit off; otherwise, I'm just stumped!  He wouldn't eat pizza ::)  I don't know anymore...

samsmommy3312010--Welcome!  The fact that DS is only 13 mo is a great asset, believe me!  Keep introducing those foods, even if it feels wasteful that he doesn't eat them.  Even if all he will do is put it in his mouth and spit it out, who knows?  He might eventually like it :)  Time is on your side.  I wish I had tried harder, myself.  If nothing, you can rest assured that you've tried, given his tastebuds time to get used to new flavors.  He might surprise you here and there, as I've seen firsthand how tastes can change literally overnight.  DS did this with cold cheese.  Wouldn't touch the stuff until he was about 19 mo, now he loves it!  *hugs* It is so hard!

Wow...Aaron sounds huge :(  He's 27/28 lbs at 23 mo.  He looks skinny, though, and has lost all baby fat.  My MIL thinks he's TOO skinny :(
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2011, 14:16:29 pm »
Sara, Matthew normally LOVES pizza. Takout, homemade (with chopped veggies and/or meat added) doesn't matter. But if he's teething badly or has a sore throat he does what you said - has a few bites and then just cries.

Samsmommy - I agree with Sara. Just keep trying!

Matthew is 22.5 months and on the tall side and barely 24 pounds. NO baby fat and skinny arms and legs, but broad chest/shoulders (relatively speaking).
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2011, 17:55:45 pm »
jake is 3 and only 25lbs. Sara - I wouldn't be worried about his weight, as long as your dr isn't.
Jacob, my little monkey - 03/19/2008
Owen, my gerber baby -  09/03/2010

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2011, 18:19:16 pm »
Sara - I wouldn't be worried about his weight, as long as your dr isn't.
LOL, no I'm not really concerned.  The kid just has a big head. ;)  Seriously, though, I think he's just fine.  He's almost 3 feet tall, so is obviously growing well; though he has slowed down a bit.  Haven't had a growth spurt in quite a while.
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2011, 18:20:41 pm »
Matthew has a big head too!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2011, 20:50:31 pm »
Hi ladies,
Karen! Wow great to hear the iron sup is working? I'm planning to make your cookies... I bought the ingrediants last week but we've been away over Easter.

Re bigheads! B def has a big head! B weighs 14kgs, can't remember his hieght? I do know he's bigger than some 24-26mos? So I guess he *is getting enough food?
We've been up and down with eating - I guess if I add up what he eats in 1 week it
seems more than if I look at what he eats in 1 day.
B isn't eating dinner ATM... I'm not sure why either?
Hugs all xx

*Alice*

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2011, 01:58:33 am »
LOL - my DS's head growth is outpacing his body as well. Last checkup he was 50th% for both height and weight and 75th% for head circumference! DH thinks this is hilarious because he has always made fun of me because he thinks that my head is a little oversized and is now convinced that DS has inherited it from me! :)

We had a difficult day with eating today.  Here's to tomorrow!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2011, 02:15:57 am »
I just had to comment on the headsize thing cause it is too funny!
DS1 actually has a small head, 10th percentile (but full of course) as do I. I wear a kids sized hat. DH always makes fun of me too!! I think DS2 has a small head too if I remember correctly....
Jacob, my little monkey - 03/19/2008
Owen, my gerber baby -  09/03/2010

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2011, 04:58:45 am »
Lol re big heads! Atleast we can laugh about *something* even if it's at the expense of our picky eating big head toddlers! Or in oe's case - small headed toddler!
Lol
*Alice*

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2011, 13:49:11 pm »
Yesterday went much better: he ate 1.5 pancakes and 1/2 banana for breakfast.  Then most of a pb&j with some pretzels for lunch.  Dinner was chicken nuggets (Tyson 100%...not too bad for the frozen stuff), a few french fries, then grapes and pineapple.  Had a couple of snacks in the mix, too.

Atleast we can laugh about *something* even if it's at the expense of our picky eating big head toddlers! Or in oe's case - small headed toddler!
ROFL!  That's one of the nice things about this age: they really do turn into little humor-boxes!  If it weren't for those moments and the more frequent snuggles...well, let's just say I can understand why animals sometimes eat their young :P ;)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2011, 18:56:32 pm »
So I just got back the email results for Matthew's food intolerances (IgG - not IgE allergies). He tested quite high for whey and almonds and moderate for cheeses (except mozzarella tested ok) and peanuts. Have a phone appointment with the doctor at 2:30 tomorrow afternoon to discuss and get her treatment plan.

Meanwhile have had a rough day here after a rough night last night. He'd had pizza for dinner AND drank more milk than usual since taking his bottle away. Was up a lot of the night and SUPER tired today. Had a very small breakfast and NO lunch before his nap - from which he woke early crying. Fun...

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2011, 20:51:11 pm »
I'm sorry Karen...that stinks (both the results and the rough day) :(  Were the results what you were thinking they would be?
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2011, 01:25:17 am »
I was suspecting dairy intolerance, so yes. And I'm SUPER glad that his wheat #s (and other grains) were fine/super low so don't have to worry about bread and all. Just have to try to find dairy free cheese and melts well for pizza and grilled cheese. Bought a few to start experimenting with. I just hope cutting dairy out helps - cause DH is going to be hard to get on board... But if it helps him be more comfortable (when he gets a flare he is so upset and uncomfortable) it's worth it!

Today he ate:

B: few bites challah french toast, few bites blueberry bagel, lots of homemade fruit shake with apple juice, water, fresh strawberries, banana and avocado
L: nothing - just more above shake
S: oatmeal made with rice milk and added PB (oops)
D: 2.5 chicken nuggets, 4 sweet potato fries, pouch of spinach/peas/pear

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2011, 04:25:05 am »
Yes, I can only imagine how difficult a gluten-free diet would be.  Hopefully those cheeses work out!  And it sounds like he had a decent day :)

Aaron's done pretty well today.  Lunch was a miss for us, too.  Dinner was fab, though!  Then again, we had tortellinis (which he LOOOOVES!!!!), and then he ate a whole banana.  I tried to get him to just try some green beans.  They were sliced, from frozen, so they had a really nice taste.  He just pushed them around in the pasta sauce ::)  I would just love him to just touch it to his tongue!  Just once!  Oh, well.  Maybe some other day.
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2011, 22:14:58 pm »
Just keep trying with the green beans Sara!

Good day here (well for us anyway):

breakfast was a whole wheat pancake with Earth Balance vegan spread and a LOT of a Naked blue machine smoothie watered down and with avocado blended in. Lunch was only raisin toast with Earth balance spread (he refused the soy grilled cheese - can't blame him) and more smoothie. Snack was veggie straws and dinner was a LOT of penne pasta with veggie sauce and sheep's milk Pecorino Romano cheese melted in, as well as half a pouch of spinach/peas/pears. Turns out that he "should" be ok with goat's milk and sheep's milk products. He tested REALLY low/well for them so I'm going to try making a pizza this weekend with Trader Joe's shredded goat's milk mozzarella...