Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8  (Read 66669 times)

Offline Papaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8
« Reply #390 on: September 18, 2011, 15:16:25 pm »
Incidentally for you breastfeeding mummies - have you been told to give vit drops to your LO?  My health visitor said yesterday all bf mums should be giving vit drops from the 6 month mark, I didn't know that.

Vitamin drops? Really? The thought would never have entered my head. Quite sure I couldn't get them here even if I wanted to, but I thought the latest research was that they weren't necessary...?

I've also been wondering about spoons...so far my LO seems to see them primarily as a tool to bang on the table, and by the time she puts one in her mouth, which she is quite capable of doing, any food on it has long since gone. This is despite the fact that I'm almost always eating with a spoon and fork rather than knife and fork so she sees me with a spoon all the time. Usually we just forget the spoon and she uses her fingers, which she is a pro at, and she occasionally lets me know that she wants me to spoon feed her when she's having something particularly tasty and she knows that'll be faster.  So I'm wondering if it's better to give her a spoon every day so she can get lots of practice, and hope the novelty of banging and flinging food everywhere wears off; or if I hold off and just offer a spoon occasionally will she let me know when she wants to use one?
*Nuala*

Offline DSAN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #391 on: September 18, 2011, 20:23:45 pm »
Vitamin drops? Really? The thought would never have entered my head. Quite sure I couldn't get them here even if I wanted to, but I thought the latest research was that they weren't necessary...?

Yeah as far as I know the recommendation is that the only vitamin supplement needed is Vit D for BF babies. Anyone who says otherwise is trying to sell something...
Heather, Mommy to Dylan

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #392 on: September 18, 2011, 20:41:39 pm »
The recommendation in the UK is all bf babies from 6 months should have the vit drops, but here you don't have to buy them.  There's lots of stuff for babies you *can* buy but equally *can* ask the GP for a prescription for which is free for LOs.
Not that I really know about vitamins Heather, and I'm not questioning your info about the recommendations in Canada, but don't we get vit D from sunshine? Seems weird to me that you would get a vitamin supplement for just that and not the other vits?
The ff babies don't need the drops because the formula has a whole stack of vits added, but I give drops to my DS because he takes so little milk for his age and although he takes a lot of solids I wouldn't want him to miss out on his vits.

Offline DSAN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #393 on: September 18, 2011, 22:32:42 pm »
We can't get enough sun here, at the right strength, to get enough Vit D, we are to far north! And breastmilk apparently only contains about 10% of the recommended amount for babies, so thats why we are told to supplement. And plus 'they' tell you not to expose ANY of babies skin to the sun for the first 6 months. So you can buy it in drops to give to them.

Other vitamins aren't necessary because breastmilk contains all other nutrients/vitamins that babies need (except iron, but there is a good reason for that... taking calcium and iron at the same time inhibits the absorption of both! But babies have enough iron for the first 8-10 months any way), and formula should too (as it is modelled after breast milk, after all).

Thats awesome that you can get them by prescription! Here that is not the case. But they aren't expensive. Its probably a good idea to give your LO vitamin drops if he isn't getting much milk. I would say though that if a baby gets the recommended amount of milk (formula or breastmilk) they probably don't need any extra.
Heather, Mommy to Dylan

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #394 on: September 19, 2011, 03:58:56 am »
I have the same info as Heather for Canada and vitamins for babies... BF babies should get 400 IU of Vit D a day, unless they live further north than 55 latitude (about the level of Edmonton, Alberta) should get 800 IU/day between October and April :)

Formula fed babies are supposed to be given 400IU a day until they reach 24 ozs a day (which is generally only the first few weeks of life).  I think I gave them to DD until she was about a month old.

Offline Papaya

« Reply #395 on: September 20, 2011, 02:20:31 am »
Yes, I have read about giving Vit D to babies that wouldn't otherwise get enough - not generally a problem here in the tropics I don't think, usually I'm more concerned about too much sun, as you say Heather! Although it is the middle of the rainy season at the moment... might see if the combination of my Thai and my LO's doctor's English is enough to ask about this at her next check up :)
*Nuala*

Offline creations

« Reply #396 on: September 20, 2011, 04:43:15 am »
We can't get enough sun here, at the right strength, to get enough Vit D
oh, it makes total sense now!

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #397 on: September 28, 2011, 19:07:04 pm »
Hello there! We started BLW today and it went great! DS ate almost an entire pear, about 1/4 a large banana, and some pork we made for dinner last night. I was wondering what to do with skins of fruits since babies can't digest them? It was hard for DS to grab the pear so I gave him a piece with skin which was easier for him. If he ate any of the skin, it wasn't much. Also, was wondering about if he can eat small things such as peas/blueberries, etc?

Re: Vitamin D - I was advised to give DS Vitamins since he was born. We did a multi vitamin drop for awhile and now just do Vit D drops. :)
Justine

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #398 on: September 28, 2011, 19:19:44 pm »
We started yesterday but not as much luck as you. How old is your lo jay? We also did pear and he ate 1 8th but the pasta broccoli and cauliflower he wasn't interested in. I think he is too tired by the evening. My blw book arrived today so i Will know what i am doing soon!

Offline creations

« Reply #399 on: September 28, 2011, 20:07:35 pm »
Hey Justine - a great start eh?  You must have been very please and excited with it!
Skins - when we started I left almost all skins on to make it easier for DS to pick up the fruits as it helps with grip.  he either swallowed them or didn't.  Sometimes he did and then hacked them back up (whilst I held my breath).  These days (3 months on) I don't hold my breath any more, I know he can handle them, he still sometimes swallows one or a bit of one but usually the fruit goes in his mouth with the skin on and a few moments later the skin alone comes back out, or, he keeps hold of the skin and gums and scrapes the fruit off of it then puts the unwanted skin down on his tray and gets another piece of fruit. he pretty much knows it's not the best part to eat.  The skins just come out in the poop, I doubt any harm is done.

Small fruits, blueberries, grapes, cherry toms, raisins and things like peas and sweetcorn I avoided for a good while.  Even much much older kids can choke on a grape so I cut them in half or quarters now.  He's been having all these things for a while now although I'm not exactly sure how long I waited, I based it on my observations of him eating and how I felt he was progressing (really well, like yours he went for it immediately).  At the start I was always happier with big things than little things.  The temptation to cut things up to bite size doesn't work for me, I felt the bigger then better really so he knows what he is biting off and when it is entering his mouth.

For easier handling of fruit (if you really want to remove skins) you can cut rings with a hole in (ie core the pear then slice into rings) rather than the 'finger' shape.  Or try moon or 'V' shaped cuts which are easier to pick up. Softer fruits I eventually discovered if you squish it a bit (just poke your finger into the wedge of melon/nectarine etc) it gives one part where it is 'roughed up' for them to grip.  it's the totally smooth cut sides that are so difficult to pick up.
You can also roll in wheat germ or baby rice which gives an initial dry and grippy surface, although I found this went to mush pretty quickly.

Khalams mama, there are very very few things my DS won't eat, but cauli and broccoli are top of the list.  I try him every so often but always with other things I know he likes so he won't go hungry!  He will put a little in his mouth, maybe even swallow it but he will not pick up a second piece.  So it could just be your LO doesn't like those things yet.

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #400 on: September 28, 2011, 20:31:29 pm »
KM- he's 7.5 months and already started to "chew" things which is why I think he picked up on it quickly. I've been giving him little puffs recently too.

creations thanks for the info. I'll probably wait on the small stuff then. Some mom already said something negative (not on this forum) about 'you should really give him smaller pieces because babies DO choke!" I thought that was the thought behind giving larger pieces?? I guess that is the major downfall/fear about BLW....if he DID choke and it was traumatic....that would be nightmarish. :(
Justine

Offline creations

« Reply #401 on: September 28, 2011, 21:07:23 pm »
'you should really give him smaller pieces because babies DO choke!"
A button fell off DS's cardigan the other morning.  I saw it on the carpet next to where he was playing and my heart skipped a beat.  I felt SO lucky that I had spotted it before he did and swore never to put him in things with buttons ever again (ok stupid idea but ykwim).
So which would I rather my DS get a hold of and shove in his mouth?  A button or a plastic plate/rattle/wooden spoon/building block?
I go with the big food every time.

I would be far far more frightened by lumps in sloppy puree as they are hidden and LO is not expecting them.
I avoided hidden lumps until I really felt DS could handle them so porridge never had any hidden lumps of fruit when he was expecting smooth slop.  Now though I give him everything.

Almost separately but kind of interlinked, I've noticed food of a certain (smaller) size DS just swallows rather than chews/gums which are sometimes too big and he goes red in the face and hacks it back up (this is not choking, the food is swallowed ok and the wind pipe is not blocked), so again I prefer him to have something he KNOWS he can't swallow whole so that he doesn't try to, he has to get a bit off it or move it around his mouth first.  I've heard a lot of kids will just swallow food if they can, regardless of weaning method.

I think you will know when to try the smaller foods.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #402 on: September 28, 2011, 21:17:11 pm »
The broccoli didn't even make it into his mouth so i dont think it was the taste. I thought he seemed ready but he isn't as keen as i thought he would be. I Will just keep offering. I didn't do blw until 7 mo with my now 2yo and he wasn't eating anything much before that.

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #403 on: September 28, 2011, 23:00:26 pm »
makes total sense, creations :) thanks again!

KM- I dont think DS would have done much more than play with the food at 5 months either. Just stick with it :)
Justine

Offline Papaya

« Reply #404 on: September 29, 2011, 03:17:23 am »
Hi Justine, good to see you here! Sounds like you've made a great start. I started off offering a lot of things (mango, potato, even banana)  with skins on to make them easier to pick up and she'd either spit the skin out or eat it and it'd come out at the other end ;) Now she usually prefers her fruit cut into smaller pieces so she can just pop them in her mouth. I was amazed at how fast her pincer grip improved once we started - at 7 months she could pick up even quite small pieces and manipulate them well, and from then on I was happy to give her smaller things to eat. She knows what to do with them! I also cut grapes, cherry tomatoes etc in half (although she picked a cherry tomato straight off the plant the other day and popped the whole thing in her mouth before I could stop her - she squished it up no trouble, yum yum!). I agree that you'll know when your LO is ready for smaller bits.

Khalam's Mama, when we started at 6 months my LO really wasn't interested in dinner - we stuck to just breakfast and lunch for quite a while. Now she loves dinner and will usually scoff almost anything we're having, especially if it's got plenty of spices in it... No need to rush, there's plenty of time.

Think we're teething at the moment so we're on a bit of a food strike - unless it's mango or watermelon!  Anyone else teething? How does it affect your LO's eating?
*Nuala*