Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8  (Read 66698 times)

Offline MommaBrooke

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8
« Reply #300 on: May 25, 2011, 18:24:07 pm »
We always seem to go back to the old favourites, and especially the really soft foods during teething or colds.  I try not to worry, but it's hard isn't it :)

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #301 on: May 26, 2011, 03:19:28 am »
Hey oldtimers-Yah, I'm talking to you Marsha ;)
Have your lo's ever gotten to a point were they will feed themselves, but prefer to be fed? 
El is eating just fine, but has started wanting me to put food in her mouth or feed her by spoon.  I am guessing it is just a phase, but thought I would see if any of you have experienced anything like it once they pass the 1yr mark?

Thanks! :-*

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #302 on: May 26, 2011, 12:11:29 pm »
Sarah, I remember that happened with T!  Yeah, it was just a phase.  So far no luck with F though, he still won't let a spoon anywhere near him, lol.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #303 on: May 27, 2011, 23:24:43 pm »
Sarah we have never spoon fed S ever, so she never did that. We had to spoon feed J cereal to help with his constipation, he feeds himself happily but if I dare hold a spoon near him he'll sit and wait to be fed! I guess it's a phase, not a bad one if it means getting a meal over quickly! Sometimes they just take too long to feed!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline PenguinMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #304 on: June 02, 2011, 16:12:20 pm »
I'm sure this question has been addressed before - but there are so many posts for BLW - which is great!

What kinds of foods are appropriate for babies who don't have any teeth yet?  My 7 month old DS has not cut any teeth but is much more interested in our food than pureed baby food.  I know I don't have to be generally concerned about choking, but I would assume you don't foods that require chewing rather than gumming (ie raw veggies) to a lo without teeth?  how many teeth do they need to be able to move to those things??? I have not done my own research in BLW but am starting to read up. 

To sum up, although non-pureed/whole foods are desired and permissible, I would assume there are inappropriate foods for older babies who are developmentally ready accept they have no teeth.  Perhaps having teeth is another developmental requirement??? 

I am eager to offer my son a wide range of foods that he is also interested in eating!  I just want to make sure that I don't give him something he can't eat or will hurt himself trying to eat.

Thank you for you comments and resources!

Erin

Offline MommaBrooke

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #305 on: June 02, 2011, 17:18:18 pm »
Hi Erin!
I started my LO with very soft things...very ripe fruits and I also cooked any veggies until they were very soft.  I did the mash test with most new foods.  If I couldn't mash it with my tongue against the roof of my mouth then she didn't get to eat it.  The toughest part was getting grains into her diet, since she couldn't handle bread at first, so I still spoon fed her rice, wheat and oatmeal cereal.  She has three teeth now, so she can eat things like pizza crust, toast and cheerios, but I didn't start with the more difficult foods until she had some teeth...And I still do the mash test for any foods I'm not sure of :)  I know it's scary at first!  She still doesn't eat meat because I'm afraid she will choke!

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #306 on: June 02, 2011, 18:46:04 pm »
Hi Erin!

We had a lot of carrots and broccoli as well as chicken. Carrots cooked "al dente" - just a little more firm than you would want for yourself. If it's too mushy, it may come off on it's own and your LO will literally bite off more than they can chew! Jack had a full Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner with us and will have only been 6 1/2 & 7 1/2 months at the time.

NOW GIRLS WITH OLDER BABIES (yes, this means you Sarah and Marsha!): Did your LOs ever regress? Jack was always a FABULOUS eater, and now he's still very good at eating, but seems to be gagging/choking again... And yes - choking. He'll become very red and struggle to get the food back up. He eventually will do, but then he's very upset afterwards.

He is cutting his molars, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Advice would be appreciated!!

♥ Kim

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #307 on: June 20, 2011, 13:57:28 pm »
Hi Kim, sorry I've been rather busy these last few weeks my BW time has all but vanished! How is your Jack doing now? Have his molars cut yet? It may just be the teeth moving that is making him eat/ swallow differently and resulting in it going down the wrong hole! Sophie never had these issues at all she would just swallow everything without issue! My Jack is a little more delicate and will get upset if he has a choking incident, but only if he's already in a delicate mood! Generally he just gags it up and carries on!

Let us know how he is doing and I'll see if I can think of anything else.

Hi Erin, welcome to BLW. How is your LO getting on? I would say lack of teeth is not a reason to not give a specific food as you'll be amazed at how strong those little gums are! With that said there are some foods that are just impossible to gum, raw carrot and apple are good examples, but they make great teethers if given really cold! However meat is a great food for gummy babies, if you cut a strip of meat along the grain they can suck all the juices out of it, if you cut against the grain they can gum chunks off and have a good 'chew'! My DD would swallow everything, whereas DS would suck and spit the rest out!

Tomatos cut in strips are great as they can drag the strips along their gums. Broccoli is great but if it's over cooked it will just fall apart as they pick it up. I cook it to a point where you can just pull the little green bits off with a fork. Avocado is also good (but REALLY messy) try a strip on the skin (DD ate the skin too) and some off the skin, see which is dealt with better!

I hope that helps a little.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 14:07:03 pm by The Goblin »
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline bexandlucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #308 on: June 24, 2011, 07:53:21 am »
Hey BLWers. I'm getting so despondant. Lucy just has no appetite! Until now I just repeated in my head like a mantra  "food before 1 is just for fun" but she's now 1........... She just wants to play with everything. She'll take a couple bites of (some - not all) foods then try and feed me,  "clean" her table or generally throw food around the kitchen. We're getting so much waste.

I've been spooning her weetabix in the mornings just because we didn't have much time and it was easier and I knew she was getting some extra vitamins, she now has a couple spoonfuls and then just refuses it. Lunch and tea I've always given her a variety of foods and let her choose for herself what she wants, she'll eat mash potato till its coming out her ears. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Just feels like she's got no appetite, but I'm worried now she's not getting enough nourishment :o(
Bec

[/url]

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #309 on: June 24, 2011, 16:11:52 pm »
(((hugs))) Bex.  Sounds like my DS2.  ::)  Not much time now, but just wanted to offer some hugs and support as we are struggling with the same things really.  He just went through a really awful phase where he wouldn't eat anything, and now he is doing much better so I hopefully it is just a phase for Lucy too.  :-*
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #310 on: July 02, 2011, 22:16:18 pm »
Hi everyone.  DS and I would like to join you please.
A little about our BLW story so far as way of introduction...

I haven't read the BLW books and when I was pregnant had thoughts of cooking all my own mush.  Then I discovered that the UK NHS guidelines for weaning were to wait until 6 months and that finger foods could be given, I thought what's the point in mushing and pureeing?  Then at some point I heard of BLW and decided that was the thing for us.  Experiencing textures and flavours is surely more interesting and more 'real' than bland baby rice slop right?  Although I haven't read the books I've done some research and I think I have a pretty good idea of what we're doing but I might be looking for a bit of help and support along the way if you all don't mind.

I was in no hurry at all to start, but DS had different ideas.  He's shown an interest in food and tried to swipe off my plate for a few months now.  The last few weeks he's been more and more interested and eventually got to the point where I had to skip lunch and wait until dinner after BT or eat in secret :/  I kept giving him a countdown that it's 3 wks and 2 days to wait, 2 wks and 1 day to wait, etc and also explained that he had to be able to sit up.
Well, he went from pure wobble to 'I can sit up all on my own' over night about 2 wks ago and then cried whenever he saw food even if he'd just had a bottle (ff since 1 month).  Since then I have given in and offered him a taste of banana one day and a taste of melon another day.  Both times he opened his mouth like a bird and became frustrated I wouldn't feed him, we agreed on a compromise and he brought his head forward to my hand of food rather than me taking my hand to his mouth.
Then last week (at 24 wks) I suddenly found myself having an un-planned pub lunch with mum and DS and there was no way to hide the fact we were eating!  What to do!?  I offered him a stick of raw cabbage from the salad thinking at least he will feel included even though he won't be able to eat it.  He was happy with that for a while just putting it in and out of his mouth.  Then he got a bit cranky and seemed to 'know' we were eating and he was being fobbed off with raw cabbage.  I had to decide to either offer food or face public melt down, plus he's always refused a dummy so I couldn't even plug him up to keep him quiet ;)

Anyway, out of what we had (which really wasn't the healthiest of meals!) I decided to let him have a bit of garlic bread.  His nana had him sitting on her lap and she helped a bit more than I would have liked although did reduce the amount when I asked her to.  He clearly loved the experience.  Afterwards I was a little worried that I'd let him have bread with gluten in, but this was 14 days before his full 6 months, and he was born 13 days late so I hope it's balanced the time out and his digestive system could cope with that minuscule about of wheat that he might have swallowed!

I continued trying to hold off since then but again gave in and let him have some melon as long as he picked it up himself this time.  He did but not all that successfully, he got a taste and a little mush around in his mouth though.

Last night my mum rang and said we should go out for lunch with her twin sister the next day, so, today (24 wks and 4 days) I thought I better prepare something to take with us.  I really didn't want a public melt down with three of us feeding our faces and a crying baby and everyone thinking I'm starving him!  Neither did I want to end up offering something unsuitable or unhealthy just because that's all we had at the cafe.  This morning I grabbed an apple and a potato from the fridge, chopped them into wedges and shoved them in the oven.  Let them cool and packed them up.
Well...I really cannot describe the experience, it was an absolute JOY!
First I offered him a crust of my toast which he had a little munch and suck on but then it broke in half and wasn't so easy to hold any more.  Then mum said she'd hold him while I finished eating so I handed him over and gave him a piece of baked apple. I only really expected DS to lick, suck, maybe mush a bit in his mouth and spit it back out (just as long as he felt included so he didn't get upset).  Now he did do those things, but also ate a good amount too.  Mum had him on her knee again but this time she kept telling him he had to do it himself.  She caught it each time it fell and he picked it up again from her hand.  His face screwed up a bit when he broke through the 'baked skin' and got to the softer inner part and I thought maybe he didn't like it, perhaps too bitter?  But he tried again and ended up eating most of it!  When the bits became too small I offered another wedge, this time potato.  And he tucked straight in.  At one point he shoved the entire wedge in his mouth and let go.  Mum panicked a bit and pulled it out.  I told her if she panics then he will panic too so if she didn't feel comfortable then she should hand him back to me.  She kept him and stayed calm for the rest of the meal (it worked pretty well like this as it meant I could see him well face on and watch carefully where as it didn't seem quite so easy to observe when it was me feeding him on my lap).  It helped that her sister was agreeing with me that puree fed babies can gag on lumps when they are introduced because they haven't yet learned to chew.  I was just slightly nervous, hoping he wouldn't gag too severely with everyone watching, but it went super well.  The was a time a largish amount of baked potato ended up in his mouth and I briefly saw it stuck to the roof of his mouth, I thought we might have a problem here if he can't move it.  But he somehow ended up swallowing it all.  I gave him a few sips of water after that big mouth full.  He was offered about 2 apple and 2 potato wedges in the end and I think the amount he actually swallowed was approx one of each which amazed me.  To be honest he would have kept going all day.

Mum and aunt got ice creams for dessert, DS's eyes watching every move they made and his little mouth opening every time aunt moved her spoon! I thought I better give him another piece of apple - like that was going to satisfy him when he knew full well they had something different!
Mum, aunt and an entire table of elderly ladies next to us were all telling me DS should be allowed ice cream as he obviously wanted some.
Aaaarrgghh!
Well, despite vowing to only give him healthy foods, I crumbled under the pressure!  Thought I was being cunning when I said he could only have it off a spoon and if he fed himself.  He's only ever held a spoon briefly before dropping it, I thought he wouldn't know what to do and would perhaps just wave it about a bit and flick the ice cream across the table, so I put about quarter of a teaspoon of ice cream on the spoon and held it towards him.
He swiped it out my hand and had that spoon in his mouth so quickly I didn't even get a chance to blink!
Rapturous applause from the old ladies on the next table,
big grins from mum and aunt,
and me utterly speechless :)
The pressure increased, all saying he should be allowed more more more.  But I totally put my foot down.  He'd had his little taste of the 'sometimes food' and that was enough.

So that's where we are up to.  I don't think there's any going back from this so we've started a little bit earlier than planned.  I'm very happy with how it all went today, and would you believe it, when we got home he decided to roll over for the first time too (I missed it as I was running his bath!) so it was a memorable day of many firsts.

If you got this far then thank you for taking the time to read about our experience.  I've been so happy that I just had to share and couldn't manage to keep this short. x

I do have 2 questions though.
Am I right in thinking we should avoid seeds for the time being (ie seeded bread)?
and
I do know that this food is for fun and I will continue with his milk as per usual, but should I be looking at offering one solid meal per day or going straight to three meals and snacks?

Offline Kimberlina

« Reply #311 on: July 03, 2011, 10:35:18 am »
Hi Creations (sorry - don't know your name yet!)

What fabulous experiences!!! Your DS sounds like an absolute pleasure to feed - which will be such a relief for you in future... one less thing to have to worry about! (Also, don't worry TOO much about not exactly hitting the 6 mo mark - J was about 5 mo when we started occasional puree, then nearly 6 mo when we "converted". Your LO sounds totally ready to go!)

My DS enjoys his food too, but not with the same obvious flourish!, and it is such a comfort to me to know that he's eating as much as he wants and if he is not very hungry... it's because he's not very hungry! He knows how to eat well, so he will when he wants!

In answer to your questions, I think seeds are recommended to be avoided because of the obvious choking hazards there, esp with no teeth to chew, as well as the possibility of allergies? Correct me if I'm wrong, mamas!

Re: introduction of solids, I would recommend starting slow, and giving solids only after milk feeds (to ensure that he gets all the nutrients he needs from the milk first). I think the BLW book says give milk, then wait an hour for that to settle a bit, then give food - which makes sense, because he won't want any if he's got a full tummy from his milk already!

For myself, I think I started with solids 1 hr after milk twice a day... I think! I avoided it around evening/night just in case anything I gave him upset his tummy - I didn't want it to be at bedtime!

I totally recommend the BLW cookbook. The first part of the book is everything you need to know about BLW, and the 2nd part of the book is recipes! The recipes yield enough for 2 adults and 1 child, so it's perfect!

Good luck!

(Also, post delicious photos here:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=178354.msg2143096#msg2143096)
♥ Kim

Offline creations

« Reply #312 on: July 03, 2011, 19:53:15 pm »
Well, we ended up with three meals today and I feel like I've been feeding non-stop all day!
I didn't give him exactly what I'm eating, but a sort of variation as a kind of introduction.  We are sitting together for meal times though.

I waited an hour after first milk and he had ready brek and then melon.

40 mins after next milk (a bit early for lunch really but he's an EW so it felt like lunch time and we had to go out too) we had a 45 min eating session of lemon and coriander houmous which I dolloped on the table in front of him but then loaded spoons for him from that dollop.  I discovered he has no idea what to do with a plastic baby spoon and he just got annoyed like I was telling him to eat plastic or play with a toy whilst I had a lovely sandwich!  I got a few regular metal teaspoons and he knew exactly what to do with those!  He also tried a little mackerel but I don't think he swallowed any of that.  Straight after this session he cried for milk (only 1 hr 25 since last milk E - he usually has E every 3 hrs) which caught me out.  Quickly prepared a milk feed and he downed it like he'd never been given food before.  I did give him water during the solids too.

3hrs later I expected him to have a milk feed, he just took a tiny bit and refused the rest.  Later still (2.5 hrs before BT) he had another solid session, potato and apple again and 2 of those little organix corn snacks (I'd just been out to buy them so of course had to try them out!) followed by milk. And just his milk for BT.

He was SO happy today and I've really enjoyed seeing him enjoy his food so much.  Not sure I can always give him 45 mins to eat though as we have to get out to things we can't cancel.

I have another question, or would like your opinions if you don't mind...
He is getting upset that the food is not getting into his mouth fast enough.  He is frustrated by slippery food that he can't hold properly (like melon, baked apple) or just by the fact he hasn't got the full coordination to move a piece of food past his palm and into his mouth (ie looks like he's doing well but then eats his thumb) and he really tries but he ends up crying at times.  He also appears very frustrated that I won't just feed him.  His last session he was getting so upset we had a sort of compromise where by I held a potato and he held my hand.  he brought my hand to his mouth to get the potato so he was still in control of how much, when, etc.  What do you think of this?

Offline Kimberlina

« Reply #313 on: July 03, 2011, 21:12:00 pm »
WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF FRUSTRATION! :D

Soon he'll be frustrated that he can't crawl yet. Then frustrated that he can't keep up with his walking friends. Then frustrated that mummy doesn't always know what "EH! EH! EEHH!" means... With lots more frustration in between!

Don't worry - he'll learn!

I know lots of the girls would keep the rind/skin on slippery things to make them more manageable. I think Martina used to also roll things in something... What was it, Martina??  Wheat germ? Am I making stuff up now?

To make sure he has enough space to practice his aim, I would make sure that the things you are giving are long enough to leave quite a bit poking out of his fist.

I know some mamas had very demanding LOs who were STARVING and wanted feeding NOW!! No time to muck about!! I think some of them would give a bit of milk beforehand to take the edge off and then carry on with solids. Could you give a sippy cup with some milk in at the beginning?

I think your compromise is just fine! Maybe can you do that to help him take the first few bites, and then pass it back to him?
♥ Kim

Offline creations

« Reply #314 on: July 03, 2011, 21:45:06 pm »
Soon he'll be frustrated that he can't crawl yet. Then frustrated that he can't keep up with his walking friends. Then frustrated that mummy doesn't always know what "EH! EH! EEHH!" means
:) love this!

I baked the apple wedges with the skin on and let him have them with the skin on, it did seem easier (half way through I suddenly had a fear that the skin would all go in and block his airway and took the skin off one, he never got that one to his mouth again is was way to slippery so we just continued with the ones with the skin).
Rolling things in something, that sounds like a good idea.

I thought (on every occasion) that he wouldn't be all that hungry as he wasn't due a feed (or had literally only just had one and had taken as much milk as he wanted) but he has wanted food for so long that he is just desperate for it now I'm letting him have some!  I did keep encouraging him to take the food back into his own hand and we kind of did a bit of one then a bit of the other which seemed to keep him happy.  I think longer foods are the best way forward with this.

Sippy cup he has not mastered yet but I do keep offering.  The first time he was shown one (mum had just bought it) he put his hands out for it immediately, took it by the two handles opened his mouth and tried to get the sipper in (how did he know to do that?).  There wasn't anything in the cup!  Since then he's had a few sips of water from one but he's not so keen on it coming out so quickly.  It'll take a little time to get used to I think.  I can't really put milk in as he has thickener for reflux and it has to be used quickly or it goes yucky.