Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11  (Read 86672 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11
« Reply #315 on: November 13, 2012, 14:29:30 pm »
As to giving her ham/cheese/bread etc. You you think that if I only do one meal like that it should be ok? No clue how much salt we have in our bread. I try get "healthy" bread in a bakery but it doesn't have a list of ingredients.
Well, it's all about balance.  I worked out (looking at the pack list) how much of a can of this (ie beans, tuna) or a slice of that (ie cooked meats, pate, bread, a crumpet) would be ok and once I'd decided I never needed to work stuff out on a daily basis (too much hassle!).  Some hard cheeses are higher in salt than others.  I found a shop's own extra mature cheddar which DS loves with a lot less salt than a branded cheddar for example, and I checked which brand of cream cheese had the lowest salt level.  Then always bought that one.  My DS was offered and did eat little bits of other cheeses for variety and to develop his tastes but his bog standard every day cheese was the same day in day out so, the lower salt one.
For me, sometimes I purposely wanted to keep the rest of his day bread free, cheese free etc because maybe my mum was needed to cook a meal for him, and that allowed her to make something really easy like beans on toast to use up his entire days allowance of salt in one go!  So on a day like that I used baby cereal rather than toast, plain steamed veg, plain boiled pasta with unsalted butter and tom puree mixed through for example, only fruit for snacks rather than crackers or bread sticks.  I also did this on a day I knew we'd be eating out at a restaurant, or I'd steam some veg to take with us so I knew he had salt free veg and let him have pieces of the other more interesting restaurant food without worrying at all about the salt.

Sometimes the bakery can tell you how much salt or sodium there is per 100g of mix and you can work out roughly how much a loaf weighs, how many slices etc.  if you can be bothered.  I tried to do this but my baker didn't know the difference between salt and sodium (vast difference) so I just went by how much was in a slice of the sort of pre-pack bread that has listed nutritional value per slice.  You don't have to be too anal about it.
I think ham can be quite salty so perhaps check that out before deciding if you want her to eat some every day.  There may be other cooked meats that have lower salt levels?
I started making my own chicken liver pate, mushroom pate, smoked salmon pate because DS likes them so much.  He still had a little shop bought though if I hadn't made a batch yk?

I would imagine that now you have the salt levels in mind you will naturally be inclined to limit them even without working it all out.  The danger is LO who are fed meals with lots of added salt or lots of pre-pack foods, canned baked beans in sauce every day, salted crisps etc.

And just in case you're interested.  A cheese sauce can be made with plain flour, unsalted butter, full fat milk, and a little MUSTARD, then a little grated cheese.  The mustard makes the cheese taste much cheesier so you don't need to add as much.  Plus don't add salt to the sauce then the only salt is what comes from the cheese.
Or make a herb sauce like parsley sauce or garlic.  The milk and butter content can be really good for LOs without necessarily having cheese.

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #316 on: November 17, 2012, 19:17:26 pm »
great tips on the sauces, they are on the menu for tomorrow:)

What do you guys think about frying food in a bit of olive oil - healthy or unhealthy?

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #317 on: November 17, 2012, 19:58:14 pm »
Sounds ok to me :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Amanda5555

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #318 on: November 18, 2012, 00:44:23 am »
Hey quick queston. Has anyone tried hummus. Is it ok to try hummus? Looking for another protein source for my picky LO. How about semi-frozen blueberries? That should be ok right?

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #319 on: November 18, 2012, 13:29:10 pm »
Hummus is great! For dipping, spread on bread, or just stick a pile on the tray and let him go for it. If it's store bought, check the salt content - or you can easily make your own without salt :) I think the blueberries should be fine too - my LO had fresh blueberries at around the same age and loved them.
*Nuala*

Offline Amanda5555

• BW Devotee
« Reply #320 on: November 18, 2012, 15:10:01 pm »
THanks  :)

So oranges. Do you remove the skin or is ok to give little peices with skin on. Sorry if silly question.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #321 on: November 18, 2012, 15:18:57 pm »
With fresh blueberries I always squashed them slightly when DD was smaller as she didn't have any teeth.

As for oranges, I've been taking off the skin, but have just handed DD a small orange (or satsuma or something like that) and she's had a little go at trying to peel it, but she's a bit bigger than your guy now
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #322 on: November 18, 2012, 19:54:16 pm »
I don't know that I'd give frozen blueberries at that age as they may be a choking hazard. I would give them fresh though with close supervision (as always).

Oranges I would definitely take the skin off and maybe even cut the segments out of the cell wall too. We give oranges on the skin now in little semi-circles cut across the segments and he just scrapes the nice bit out with his teeth.

We do houmous but like Nuala says check salt if they are going to be eating a fair bit.  Pitta bread lightly toasted and cut in strips were great to serve alongside it.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Amanda5555

• BW Devotee
« Reply #323 on: November 18, 2012, 23:14:17 pm »
I don't know that I'd give frozen blueberries at that age as they may be a choking hazard. I would give them fresh though with close supervision (as always).

Yes I agree I meant mostly thawed and easily squishable just really really cold. Oh my what a lovely mess they make.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #324 on: November 19, 2012, 00:51:24 am »
Hummus is great!
My DS couldn't get enough of it when I first served it up (about 6 or 7 months).  however he will only eat shop bought, my own home made is clearly sub-standard!

Amanda my DS is kind of picky with protein.  I make chicken liver pate so that there is no salt (or only what is found in cream cheese or cheese which you can add in the recipe), there are lots of recipes on-line, just ignore any mention of salt and alcohol, the recipe will still be fine.  Spread on toast, or pitta or tortilla.

Offline British Coaster

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #325 on: January 10, 2013, 20:06:02 pm »
Happy New Year BLW threaders :)

I've been lurking on this thread for a while as I have been weaning using BLW techniques, and things have gone pretty smoothly.

My question is this - did your LOs have blips/periods when they went off savoury foods?  Did it get better again on its own or did you withhold the sweeter stuff?

Joe started well and soon started eating both savoury and sweeter foods (sweet foods - mainly fruits, the occasional fromage frais).  As we progressed lunch & dinner mealtimes usually went protein + veg, then some fruit for afters.  However, increasingly Joe is totally rejecting the savoury bit, but he then will scoff loads of fruit - clearly hungry.

Any advice?  Should I not offer fruits for a while? (am worried that I'm encouraging a sweet tooth)

Thanks

and we were getting into a routine of savoury food (usually a bit of what we were eating) followed by fruit but recently (he's now 8.5 months) he's

Offline Amanda5555

• BW Devotee
« Reply #326 on: January 12, 2013, 00:13:57 am »
Hi following along as well we definately have this issue as well. We are also finding textures extremely challenging when it comes to both touching and tasting. Anything slimey or wet seems to be a problem so like pasta, most fresh fruits and cooked veggies. I finally got him to pick up kiwi but previously was getting him to take bites of a whole kiwi. Banana finally went ok the other day but previously was a no no. I've even tried cooking things al dente?

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #327 on: January 12, 2013, 08:31:53 am »
My LO did go through phases of not wanting much other than fruit and tbh I think it was often when she was teething. Fruits seem to be her comfort foods: familiar, soft, often cold from the fridge.  So I've never really restricted fruit (unless we run out ::) ), even when the rest of the meal wasn't eaten, and she's always come back to eating a good balance of things. BUT if I thought it were getting to be a problem, I probably would be firmer about only offering a small portion.

Amanda, is it that he doesn't like to get those things on his hands? Or in his mouth? Or both? For a time, my LO didn't like to get her hands messy, but she would eat things off a loaded fork/spoon.
*Nuala*

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #328 on: January 12, 2013, 09:22:05 am »
lol Amanda, he has come a long way from gagging when just touching ickiy things, sensitive boy.

I'm also finding pickiness a problem. Sometimes I end up going through 4 different options before DD finds something she'll eat. Also not sure if I should be giving her so many choices or if she refuses the first 2 just not give any more.?

Offline British Coaster

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #329 on: January 12, 2013, 10:07:31 am »
Lovely - thanks for the advice - I can't see any teeth coming but he is the right stage for a wonder week, so maybe it's that. We're having a little phase of NWs so that would fit in too...I had a bit of success with risotto balls in breadcrumbs last night, but when he got a crunchy bit he seemed to not like that so much.  Will keep going with fruit then and try not worry too much about restricting at this stage.  With the NWs and a recent drop in the DF am getting a bit obsessed with trying to pack him with calories!

Hi Amanda - Joe's finds pasta texture weird too, but he loves slippery fruit  ::) He's very picky about Proteins except for pulses whizzed up into patties and vegetables are pretty much no go.  He'll gum a bit of carrot or green bean, pull a face then out it comes!  So his diet is mainly carbs, fruit and dairy at the moment but will keep offering everything else. 

Don't know if you mums also have dogs around - ours has gained about a kilo since we began BLW!

Angela x