Author Topic: Babies of Oct-Dec /04  (Read 122856 times)

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2005, 16:36:22 pm »
Hi Mimi,

Welcome!  I know what you mean about wanting to talk about your lo all the time!  :D

When I read your post I thought it could have been me writing it! Ella is a bit younger but we are having the same things happening.  She used to sleep from 7-7 and now it's 7 until 5 with the past four nights of waking all night as well.  Though her naps are better (for us anyways) she'll sometimes do two two hours or one two hour and a one and a half. (though that includes pat and shush) Probably because she's not sleeping at night!  :? She also won't catnap anymore (about a week now) no matter how tired so we've tried bumping up the bedtime but it hasn't worked.

She also does the rasberries and the screaming and squealing. And as I already said she seems to have added coughing.  It's too funny but I am exhausted again!  :)

Caljaccol- congrats on the sitting up! How exciting. I can't wait for that. It will just bring play time to a whole new level.

Jaydn's mom- that's a big baby and only 23 lbs of weight gain. wow!  I was also 127 (5'6") and I went up to 167 lbs. !  I have only managed to get back down to 140 though I can't say I really work at it either.   :lol: I walk a lot but no sit ups or stuff which is what I really need!

Talk to you all soon,

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline Jadynsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2005, 02:18:33 am »
Quote from: Mum to Ella Rose
I walk a lot but no sit ups or stuff which is what I really need!
I know what you mean!!  I'm putting off any workouts til I'm done bf, and that could be another year!!  My excuse is (as if I really need one), I don't want to lose my supply by exercising :lol:  I was hoping that my stomach would magically have the six-pack look after she was born :wink:  (I have never had this by the way), but no such luck.  If $$ was no issue and I don't plan on having any more babies, I would have it taken away :wink:

Have any of you experienced your lo's crying at bedtime, the first 2hrs, on and off?  There are times when she's all out crying like she's in pain, then there are nights like tonight where she just cries softly in her sleep.  By the time I get up there, she's back to snoring.  She's done it the past couple of hours.  I wish I could do something for her. :cry:

lil'monkey

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2005, 06:24:47 am »
Yes, dd does this llittle cry during the first 2-3 hrs.  It would only last less than a min and yet she is still asleep.  Sometimes I wonder if she is having a nightmare or something. 

Well I'm awake at this 12 am as dd just finally fell asleep after crying at 11:30pm.  I had to hold her and feed her to get her back to sleep.  I wonder if it is because I got rid of her swaddle and df tonight?  Hmmm...  I've thought about slowly weaning her off on both of these but decided to go cold turkey instead. 

Anyway, dd is sitting all by herself now and loves being videograghed!!! 

Gotta go, I think i hear her crying again. :cry:

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2005, 16:58:49 pm »
Hi all!

Yes, Ella does the crying thing also.  Heartbreaking sometimes isn't it?!  :(

We've been having a rough week as she has decided to wake every hour over night.  The last two nights have been better though... (fingers crossed) I keep expecting to see teeth, have her pull up or do something that would explain what's been bothering her.  She's been happy enough during the day but...

I would thing stopping both the swaddling and the df would be a bit upsetting. Sounds normal to me.  Good for you for going cold turkey! Let me know how it goes.  We are in the process of weaning Ella off the df as she isn't hungry in the a.m. anymore and has been having less of her bottles in general.  She has been having 4 oz. the past 4 nights at 10:30 so I think we'll bump that up to 10 tonight and just 3oz.  And she started the waking thing before we did this so it's not that that's troubling her. We also started lunch a two days ago as I wondered if the liquid just isn't enough to sustain her anymore. As I've said she was drinking 38oz on top of 3tblsp of cereal and a food cube for breakfast plus 3tblsp. of cereal and a veggie for supper. So we've added avacado for lunch.  She loves it... I can't believe it!   :)

Btw has anyone else been having trouble with the board lately? this is my first time getting it to work in a few days. I was going crazy!  :lol:

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Offline IsaacMom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2005, 00:21:49 am »
Mind one more?  I'm a first-time Mom.  My son Isaac is 5-months old, born Dec 15th, 17 days late!  He was 9 lb 9 oz and is now about 19 lbs and 28 1/2 inches long! 

We just started EASY and PU/PD on Saturday.  Maybe I should just say PU/PD as our routine is a mess (see posting).  As with others, his napping is a mess.  Today he took 2 20-min naps and 1 1 hr-20 min nap.  His 4th nap never happened (yes, 4th!)  But I'll save the rest of that for the other posting, if you're interested.

I was wondering, what does "lo" stand for?

Jenn

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2005, 01:06:09 am »
Hi Jenn,  welcome!  :D

17 days late??!!  :shock: Wow. That must have been so tough on you!  Isaac sounds great though, I'll have to check out your other post when I have time. I'd love to hear what's happening btw...

today has been exhausting as Ella was up ALL night again and so very whingy today.  Boy I hope to see some teeth or something soon!

Hope you're all well.

oh and lo stands for little one.

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Offline cazao

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2005, 01:24:12 am »
hey there sharon. saw your other post...started rice cereal last sunday at breakfast. after about 5 days of her not really figuring out the whole opening her mouth thing, she got it, and today had a couple of teaspoons at breakfast and more than that at teatime, the first time she`s done twice a day. i think we`ll stick to rice cereal for another week and then see what she fancies.

poor love has had a wicked cold, and we`re sharing your pain with the nights. last night she woke every hour till midnight and then was wide awake between 4am and 5am. i`m hoping it`s teeth and that they come soon. what do you do when ella rose wakes? i`m dosing her up with tylenol etc but then end up feeding her back down more often than i probably should  :oops: two of her baby friends got teeth this week so i`m hoping hers will show any day. bath time now....hope your night is better tonight...
Our beautiful baby girl is....

lil'monkey

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2005, 01:43:15 am »
Well, it has been a very tough day.  DD had a total meltdown from 2pm to 6 pm.  She would not stop fussy or all out crying except when I read Goodnight Moon for bedtime.  Now i know for sure taht the early waking (5 am) and short naps are taking a toll on her.  For the last week or so, dd has been taking short naps and waking at 5 am.  For several days now, I've been trying to extend her awake time but it doesn't seem to work. 

I don't think that I mind the short naps so much if she is happy overall.  I remembered that there were times when she was happy with 3 short naps.   :(   Now is soooo different.  Is she manipulating me somehow?  Because by 5 pm, I had to calm down so I put her in the swing and cleaned the kitchen.  I tried to ignore her fussing but everytime I look at her she would start crying again.

Looking back, dd did smile at me once during that time.  It was when I read Goodnight Moon.  :roll:

Here's hoping that tomorrow will be better.

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2005, 02:02:08 am »
Hey Mimi, have you tried putting her straight back to bed at 5 am after feeding?  Lindsey woke at 5-530 for a while and I fed her and put her straight back to bed and sh ewould sleep for another couple hours.  Just a suggestion.   I am quickly learning that usually Lindseys nap success depends on the amount of nighttime sleep she gets.  If she sleeps for longer at night her naps are usually better.  I really believe that the more sleep they get the better they sleep.  Now if we can only get them TO sleep huh. :wink:   I am just trying to take each day as it comes.  Some days are good others bad, and some horrible!   Also, keep in mind that as they get older their amount of sleep needed lessons.  Lindsey on a good day gets about 13.5 hours sleep total-sometimes 14 but rarely that much.  Last night she slept 12 hours at night but only took two short naps today but overall was a pretty happy baby. Oh, when Lindsey was waking at 5 am or 5:30 I would give her her milk then back to bed.  So when she woke again I gave her solids in case you were wondering.  HTH!
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2005, 02:19:30 am »
Okay as much as I wish for everyone to have angel babies all the time, I sure take comfort in knowing I'm not alone!  We don't have a problem putting Ella to sleep. Not at night and no longer during the day anymore either.  Lately it's just KEEPING her asleep!  At night she'll maybe whine once or twice within 15 minutes of putting her down for an extra pat and stroke and she'll wake a few times during naps as well but a cuddle and immediately leaving the room usually works to extend her to 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. (she's still dropped the catnap) Bedtime is 7 and the df is down to 3oz. at 10. But overnight lately...man!! She wakes constantly. We can get her back to sleep again with shush and pat but she just keeps waking.  We do the shush in the a.m. starting around 5:30 and we can now get her to go back to sleep until 7.  And Cazao we don't need to feed Ella but she is a pacifier baby which I don't mind so much as she's ff and I like her to have the extra "suckle" time, so I understand feeding your lo for comfort at night sometimes. It's hard not to!  I don't know... sometimes I wonder if Ella is waking more at night due to longer naps. When she was a 3x 45 minuter we never had the night problems!  :?  But with dropping the catnap it's still basically the same amount of sleep.. grrr. You're probably all confused reading this as I am just plain confused in general!  :lol:

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

lil'monkey

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2005, 02:31:01 am »
Hi Lynne,

Yes every time she wakes at 5 am I would try to get her back to sleep.  Pat/shushing, holding, wake to sleep but feeding her seems to have the most success for the last week or so.  When she does wake up later at 7 am I would just feed her solids as well.  But for the last few days, she just wouldn't go back to sleep so I just start the day at that time.  Tried to extend her awake by 15 min or go for a drive if she wakes early( but still tired) from her naps, doesn't work.  Lately I have to move up her bedtime to 6 from 7pm as she gets really tired by 5 ish.  Could this make her wake up at 5 am as she would have had 11 hrs of sleep at night?

I've checked for teething, colds, illnesses but nothing is wrong with her.  Could you tell me what your schedule with Lindsey is like?  Sometimes I wonder if dd should be having 2 naps only but it seems like this is not going to happen easily.  :(

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2005, 02:13:19 am »
Hello Mimi.  Sorry took me so long to respond.  Today was not a very good day for us.  Anyway, Lindsey has now been waking at around 7:00 am sometimes as early as 6:30 though.  I give her breastmilk upon awakening.  She then has activity for about 2 hours.  Then i try to get her to nap.  Today I got her to sleep around 9:25 and then she woke 10 min later with a poopy diaper and I could not get her back to sleep.  So from there she was awke.  i gave her breastmilk around 11:30, lunch at 12:45 and she finally slept for an hour and 15 min from 1:30 til 2:45.  then she was up til bedtime.  And yes she was very cranky today.  We even had to go out for a bit this late afternoon and she did not even catnap in the car.  then she got her third bf at around 3:45, supper at 6:00, bedtime routine and in bed at 7:40 although she woke an hour later I guess due to gas-she burped a few times, I gave her some baby motrin in case she was teething then put her back to bed.  Now, what I aim for every day is this: 

wake and bf
solids an hour to hour half later
2 hours after waking nap
breastfeed after nap or 4 hours from last feed if nap short
Lunch hour to our half after breastfeed
nap 2-3 hours after first nap ended(also watch for sleepy cues)
breastfeed after nap or 4 hours from last if nap short
supper around 5:30 or 6:00(this is usually pretty consistentlyat this time)
start bedtime routine at 6:30 or 6:45
breastfeed last before bed
Usually in bed around 7:30 give or take a few min.

I am trying to do easy 4 hour schedule.  I bf 4 times a day and solid feed 3 times a day. Here lately though she has been pooping not long after i put her to bed for her first nap so i may try to let her stay up a little bit loinger to see if she will poop before then. although it seems some times she can sleep through it or at least go back to sleep so who knows.  It does seem like it is taking her longer to show tired signs in the am.  But i watch her like a hawk usually to make sure I dont' miss them.  Sometimes if it is getting too much past 2 hours I will take her in to windown anyway in case I missed them.  also i have a trick where i will bounce her on the edge of the bed on my lap and if she makes her sleepy noise I can usually take her in for her windown.  Her sleepy noise is her mantra cry. 

Gotta run-time for bed. Oh sorry for typeos-did not take time to re read.
Lynne

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2005, 15:24:33 pm »
Well, sure enough, I post that she sleeps til 6:30 or 7:00 and she woke at 5:15 this am! :roll:  :lol:   So, I fed her and put her straight back in her crib.  She actually was half asleep after eating so that helped.  Then she slept til about 8:30 and i fed her milk at 9:15 and she started showing sleepy signs again around 10:15 so I put her back down at 10:45 after a long wind down period.  I have not given her any solids yet today-was not sure when to since she has been so out of whack today.  But I do plan on giving her some when she wakes from this nap.  They love to throw us curve balls huh!  :wink:
Lynne

lil'monkey

Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2005, 18:09:54 pm »
Do you df?  I had to do it for the several weeks or so b/c she was taking less due to cold.  But like the last time I gave the df (3-4 mos), dd would  not as hungry for her morning bottle and would have still a night waking or two.  As soon as i got rid of it, she slept 7-7.  Been talking over with dh and he thinks that she doesn't need the df and thinks that it messes up her internal clock or at least kick starts her metabolism and she wakes up.  I think that I will get rid of it.  Besides, if she really is hungry she will ask for it at night - it's not like she isn't already waking me up at 4-5am.   :roll:

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
Babies of Oct-Dec /04
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2005, 18:20:09 pm »
No, I never did a dream feed.  Partly because I had never heard of it. I did not get the bw book til Lindsey was 2 months old. Then when I got it I did not think she needed it as she was already doing her long stretch of sleep at night and when she was that little had a later bedtime.  I think I started the earlier bedtimes around 4 months old?  Before then she was up til at least 10:00.
Lynne