Author Topic: Diary of putting my family on the RAPH diet  (Read 51538 times)

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 100
Re: Diary of putting my family on the RAPH diet
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2011, 03:14:30 am »
Is it ok to do it longer than 7 days if we are unsure?
for sure sherry. you have to take it out again for other challenges anyway so it's certainly not going to hurt being on it longer. give it two weeks if you need, should hopefully see something more conclusive by the end of that time??

hugs rebecca, it can be hard to get good help in this area. one thing to consider with the probiotics is if the dairy component is lactose, then your LO may be ok on it. my LO is mspi too but was okay on lactose as it is the milk sugar not milk protein. treat like any other food challenge if you think that could be suitable.

hrk

« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2011, 18:53:53 pm »
Sher, I hope you and your boys are doing well today.  Have you had a chance to read anything from the book, yet?  I still need to make the order...

Such good news about the refluxing, Rebecca!  I hope the poos clear up soon. 

It can be hard to find a dr who is the right fit.  I hope the next is better.  I have been to two NDs and was disappointed with both experiences.  The chiro was also a disappointment.  Heath's second gi was great, and he was aware of salicylates.  He couldn't help much with foods, but he gave us two leads for allergists.  (He didn't want us to go to just anybody.)  After the apt with the first allergist was a bust, I asked the appointment lady if she could find out if the second allergist was aware of salicylates.  I called a couple of days before to see if she had heard back from the allergist, otherwise I was going to cancel (I told the apt lady that when I made the apt, too).  We really liked the second.  Hugs for the disappointment; it takes a bit of searching to find a great dr, it seems.

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2011, 15:10:38 pm »
Eloys & Kirry - how do you do the egg challenge?
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2011, 22:27:26 pm »
sherry, i'm not sure what quantity an adult needs to eat, i'm guessing start with one egg every day for 3 days then double it for a few days. for kingston, i gave him a whole egg, i served it beaten with a dash of rice milk and fried, cut into small strips and he gobbled it up. did it for 4 days straight.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2011, 23:52:46 pm »
one egg yolk a day for 3 days, then one egg a day for 4 days.  Just incase they can only tolerate yolk.

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2011, 13:45:41 pm »
Thanks. I'm really scared to do this challenge. But, I need to get it done before the MMR.
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline EloysH

« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2011, 22:13:27 pm »
you can hide the egg on a pancake or something, that's fine too

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2011, 23:18:17 pm »
I think he is ok with egg in stuff. As I used to make waffles with egg and he was fine. So I'll do the egg yolk first and see how that goes. He had the really bad reaction almost a year ago, so maybe he has out grown it. I hope.
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline EloysH

« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2011, 02:58:40 am »
good luck, it would be shame to not be able to egg such a nutritious thing, in my mind these are one of the most important foods to retain in the diet.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2011, 03:04:19 am »
good luck sherry!

elo, i swear we have a diff dietician sometimes   :P she told me to do the whole egg at once and only try yolk separate if failed. tho i guess we werent expecting him to fail egg :-\ i know with hunter i did yolk first, egg white after 12mths as that's what everyone did then.

well just to throw a spanner in our cow's milk challenge - kingston has roseola. talk about timing!! and i thought we were clear because his teeth are all out ::)

Offline EloysH

« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2011, 03:58:44 am »
oh  no you are right hun, the dietician said whole egg at first, but the naturopath said to try the yolk first.  I just took the advice that I wanted to hear and went with it LOL.

OMG poor Kingston!!! What will you do about the dairy then!!!!!

Now I don't think you would want to see the paed I just saw for Kai, - he said no meds wean, gluten or caesin until at least 2 for Kai, given how sensitive he was a how he reacted when we tried to introduce those things....  and given that it took him 3 weeks to come good after the first failed meds wean at 12 months. 

He said there is new evidence to suggest that wheat causes something like cell membranes in the gut to become porous and can lead to leaky gut, and that no humans really agree with wheat, we all  only "tolerate" it to varying degrees. Great.  Some times too much information is just no good.

hrk

« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2011, 11:54:08 am »
Super hugs gals for the trials ahead. 

Sher, I hope everything goes ok for Emory.  Nervous, and sending lots of vibes for it to be fine.  ~~~~~~~~~~~

Hugs for the roseola, Kirry.  How long does it take to clear.  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hugs for the wheat and caesin, Eloys.  I remember reading that for some, they recommend two weeks.  That was when I was reading about EE (but I don't think it is particularly for those with EE).  It sounds like a good idea.  Nervous for you to go through it again.  XXXXX

Offline EloysH

« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2011, 13:13:34 pm »
thanks for the hugs!! 

One more point - I forced the paed to estimate when Kai would grow out if it given the experience he has had with other kids similar to Kai and he said probably 5-6 years old  :o :o :o :o :o      I was not mentally ready for that. I was still thinking along the lines of 2, or 3 at worst case.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2011, 13:34:51 pm »
He said there is new evidence to suggest that wheat causes something like cell membranes in the gut to become porous and can lead to leaky gut, and that no humans really agree with wheat, we all  only "tolerate" it to varying degrees. Great.  Some times too much information is just no good.

Have you been reading Liz's thread about grains. Really scary! I love them to much to omit them though.

Good Luck with the egg Sherry. I would def do yolk first. Olly is mildy allergic to yolk and hugely allergic to the white!

tigerlilly905

« Reply #134 on: August 16, 2011, 01:29:11 am »
As a matter of fact, we've figured out all grains (along w. dairy) seem to be our main issue. Being on the low Sals diet and ommiting the common allergens, I realized the days Ds2 was having tummy troubles were the same days I ate Quinoa. :-\ He seems fine when I eat rice but I've decided to ditch that too...

I've introduced egg yolks back into my diet. This is day 2 and so far no issue in either myself or Ds2 :) yay!

After figuring out grains are a big problem, I'm not totally certain that Sals are.. ??? I'm still going to be careful though...

We're actually switching to doing the GAPS diet.  Its very similar to the paleo diet. No grains, no refined sugar - allowable foods are basically fruits,veg,meats,nuts, fermented and unpasturized dairy (if not intolerent) It's purpose is to heal the gut w/ probiotics and foods the "paleo" human diet would suggest we are designed to eat anyways. http://www.gutandpsychologysyndrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/GAPS-Diet-Foods.pdf    Facinating stuff....http://www.gutandpsychologysyndrome.com/gaps-diet/

I finally found a good naturopath that has experience with this sort of thing. She also suggested DH and I do an IgG blood test - has anyone of you done it? It has 96 common foods and tests for food sensitivities. Her thought is that if we can figure out what DH and I are both even mildly intolerent to, it could help pinpoint anything else that's bothering Ds2. The downside is that it is expensive - $250/test.. so $500 for both of us :-\. It is something we'd like to have done. I think I'll keep going with the trial and error of ED for a bit while we save up for it.