Author Topic: Diary of putting my family on the RAPH diet  (Read 51604 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Diary of putting my family on the RAPH diet
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2011, 18:23:01 pm »
What about wine for amines? Mushrooms?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2011, 22:47:19 pm »
He would love to try the wine, but I think there are sulfites (sp?) in it :(  So maybe the mushrooms would work.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2011, 06:12:05 am »
yep if no reaction you can keep in dairy and wheat.

wine is amines, salicylates and glutamates so def a no go, as are mushrooms. there is one type of choc here, 70% dark choc lindt, that is soy and dairy free so ok for the challenge but not sure what is available to you there.  i assume your DH will eat the bananas but you need something higher in amines?? will he eat pawpaw/papaya?? or if you can get the nitrate free bacon/ham then you would be able to use that too (are you able to tell me the ingredients list so i can double check for you??). that is very high amines due to aging etc. or something like canned tuna or salmon is high in amines, again depending on other ingredients. cocoa powder is what i used for kingston to test higher amines so you could make choc gf pancakes or something similar?? roasted cashews would load his amine levels a little but prob not enuf for a significant challenge. that's really it for amine only food options.

with kingston, if i suspect a reaction (as in possible but not definite reaction) then i keep at it for 3 days to a week before deciding if it is a reaction or possible reaction that needs rechallenging. if it's a definite reaction then i stop straight away. with what you said for emory i would prob call it a possible reaction or as elo said signs of early reaction in which case you should get something more conclusive in a few more days.

think we may need to look at that food chaining book too for kingston.

is lyle still going well with milk? i guess the only reason to limit milk intake is to ensure they are hungry enuf for food.

hugs hun, gotta run as kingston just busted his nap :-*

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2011, 08:24:22 am »
bananna and dark chocolate (70%) - so no dairy are the best for the amine challenge. 2 x banannas and 60 -120g of chocolate per day.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:54:08 pm by EloysH »

hrk

« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2011, 11:33:04 am »
Dropping off lots of hugs and encouragement for you and the family!!  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2011, 16:52:11 pm »
Thanks guys. The issue with the chocolate is he has found that he is SUPER sensitive to caffeine. He had no idea until we did this diet. I will check the bacon and see what it is it. If I remember correctly is is cured with celery salt?

Oh, well. We will have to challenge dairy again then. I gave up on E. But, I'll do it again in another week or so.

With Lyle..... uhhh.... I honestly have NO idea what is up with him. He was up at 3:55 this morning. I have no idea why. I'm not sure if he was up for good then. But, I know he was calling for me at around 4:30ish and he had a really really lose stool. I was so proud of him though, he got up and used his potty in his room. It was hell to clean up at 4:30 in the morning though.

I got the book on Kindle so now I just have to find time to read it, and look into making all the right appointments etc.
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

hrk

« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2011, 18:28:56 pm »
Great job to Lyle for using his potty!  I hope he went back to sleep for you and that he is having a pleasant day. 

I found a small glass pitcher that H is able to pour for his milk; now I need to figure out how to portion it.  I think I will mark the oz on the pitcher, and then I will give him the max amt for each meal in the pitcher.  Eating has been up as long as I keep him fibered.  If he starts to have a hard time pooing, he decreases what he is eating. 

How much milk are the moms of 3+ yr olds giving?  Sher, you are doing the 23 oz for Lyle?  Did you stretch it to a particular amt by adding water? 

I hope the book is good.  I didn't remember you having a kindle.  I am still trying to decide what to order with it to get the super saver shipping on amazon.   ::) :P

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2011, 18:50:25 pm »
Jean - I got one for Christmas. A total surprise. I hadn't asked for it. And to be honest when I got it I was kind of like... hmmmm... not sure about spending so much on this, etc. But, I Love it!! It's so easy to pick up, put back down, etc.

That's interesting about the fiber. We don't usually have fiber issues here because Lyle used to eat SOOO much whole grain.

I had to laugh about the going back to sleep.

I think I'm going to start a post about the sleep. I'm feeling pretty down about it today. Probably because I got so little of it myself. But, I did want to tell you Jean that we've been having NWings so I let him leave the night light on last night. He didn't NW around the time he has, but he did early wake. But, then I was sort of relieved that I did happen to have it on because I think he would have had to go in his diaper otherwise because I waited so long to go to his room. I can't believe how long he patiently sat on the potty for me. He just said calmly over and over again... mommy.... mommy. I had been up with E from about 11-1:30/2 ish. So I was so tired I found it really had to get up. He is behaving really well today for being on such little sleep. But, he's spending a lot of time in his room.... that's a whole other post. Sigh... Remind me that this too shall pass. 6 month growth issues I reckon.
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2011, 03:49:30 am »
huge hugs sherry :-*

jean, H still has 2 cups of milk a day, one with lunch and one with dinner, i dont measure, i'm guessing it is around 200mL per cup so around 12 - 15 oz a day.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2011, 03:51:38 am »
The issue with the chocolate is he has found that he is SUPER sensitive to caffeine.
sherry that's why i went for banana, pawpaw and cocoa with kingston as a few squares of the 70% dark choc would keep me up half the night so no way was i giving it to him, lol.

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2011, 10:01:03 am »
You know, I don't know how you guys stay sane with these trials I really don't.

Lyle has woken Emory for the umpteenth time lately. Lyle most days is getting over 10 hours of sleep. But, Emory falls a sleep much much later than Lyle. So Emory only got about 9 hours of sleep last night.

How do you tell ANYTHING when the sleep isn't right :( 
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2011, 12:18:57 pm »
Well sleep is now Kais main symptom.  SO for us, we had to ruile out teeth, sickness and props, reflux dosing issues then we were still left with long NW's.  This was a 6 week process of being awake 2 + hours a night.  As soon as I pulled Kais diet back his sleep improved dramatically. So bad sleep can mean that they are reacting xxxxxx

It is a long process and very hard to complete challenges with so many variables... that is why I say keep going with the challegnes if unsure. 

Many hugs xxxx this is really  tough, its not easy hun xxx

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2011, 14:28:28 pm »
With Lyle the sleep issues didn't start UNTIL we started the diet :(
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

hrk

« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2011, 23:34:15 pm »
When we went dairy/soy free, he was more irritable with regards to the dietary changes, and his sleep was worse.  We were increasing the salicylates just to accomodate the dairy/soy.  It is hard to figure some times.

Sleep has always been heath's biggest indicator that he is not feeling his best.

But I will also say that right now, H is reducing his overnight a bit.  But I am not really willing to cut out nap.  He wants to nap.  And with the dry mornings, he has to go right away and can't go back to sleep anyway.  So, I don't think no nap is really going to give us much more sleep, iykwim.  I wonder if the night time dryness is a factor for Lyle, too? 

That can make it all the more confusing to pin down the direct causation; and possibly it may be a mixture of factors that are winding themselves together? 

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2011, 19:52:47 pm »
Jean - you read my mind. I was actually going to come tell you this. I think it is a mixture of issues. I really do. He isn't dry. He pees sometime in the night. BUT. He pees right when he wakes up. So I think once he hits light sleep he wakes when he feels the urge to pee. So... this could take awhile. I think we are going to have to do a round two with Lyle down the road.
He napped in the car yesterday 40 min. How long is H napping now? Then he fell asleeep at about 8 and was up at 6 on the nose. So 10 hours.   The same amount as he's been doing with no nap.
Chris took him in the car to go shopping again today. In hope that he would nap. The morning was rough. And Lyle said he was tired. He napped 50 minutes.

I won't be able to be on all weekend. Chris is getting a small procedure done tomorrow and the In-laws will be in town. I'm supposed to be cleaning the house right now :)

I hope everybody had a good weekend.

Oh Jean. Checked Trader Joes for bread. Since we are doing the glueten challenge. They all have honey, egg or molasses :(
So homemade bread it is. Oh, that reminds me. I need to  check the library for that artisan bread.

DS#2 19 Feb 2010