Author Topic: Diary of putting my family on the RAPH diet  (Read 51400 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Diary of putting my family on the RAPH diet
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2011, 08:42:52 am »
As for gee, I thought it was safe if you need to be dairy free as the proteins are all cooked out - can someone clarify?  Kai has always tolerated gee.

Deb, as for food intolerance testing, there is no recognised test except food eliminations and diet.  However, I will say I have tried some hocus pocus things and I do believe on some of them. Some have absolutely no scientific merit and some do i.e. linked in with chinese medicene etc. I found that the sensitivities identified through other measures and will only cover a small part of the food intolerance picture.    I was able to try a few of these after we identified some of Kais sensitivities through the elimination diet to see if there was merit.  What as the test the lady at the mall was going to do?

Jean: LOL I remember when you found out about that lady, how bizarre and unsettling. Very easy to laugh now  :D

Great news on the bread Sher! Sorry that Lyle had to miss his milk so much and have a bit of tanti!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:11:17 am by EloysH »

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2011, 10:16:05 am »
Deb, that is interesting about the thyroid and celiac link becoming more widely known. Since my Hashimoto's diagnosis, I've learned that full-blown celiac is more prevalent in those with Hashimoto's and low thyroid, possibly in Hashimoto's because of the shared immune response (one theory). I'm actually going today to get blood drawn to be tested for celiac, or at least for gluten intolerance. there are apparently tests for just the intolerance, and I know I read about them on a Hashimoto's forum I visit now and again, but can't find the link with the info for the specific test, but even if I had to do that out of pocket it wasn't too pricey. Still less expensive to lay off the grains entirely.

Ghee being completely truly dairy-free depends on the ghee, apparently. I did find (thanks Google!) some instances where companies test theirs to be sure it's free of the proteins and lactose, but that's not everyone. If you're being super-strict about an elimination diet, probably best to avoid even ghee for a while unless you can find the good stuff. By and large, what make ghee "clarified" butter is that the milk solids by and large fall out - but if you react to even a trace of the protein, it's hard to guarantee that there's NONE. :-\

Offline EloysH

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2011, 10:20:33 am »
That's what I thought Deb, I thought that the only people that would probaly react to gee would be those with dairy allergies,  or what you would call a "super responder" which I suspected early on was not the case for Kai.

I would be very interested to hear about the gluten intolerance blood test details if you get them Deb and how it works.

Offline deb

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2011, 11:03:06 am »
HAH! I found a link! :D

http://www.enterolab.com/StaticPages/Faq.aspx

This link is from the testing lab.

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2011, 16:16:07 pm »
I used Earth Balance as well for E before this. It was great. But... it has annatto (sp?) :(   There are only a few brands that would fit the ok oils and other issues. But those two brands both have annatto. :(

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 16:25:53 pm by sherry lynn »
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline deb

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 17:26:40 pm »
Another link about gluten sensitivity, with some testing info links at the bottom: http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten-free-society-blog/the-many-heads-of-gluten-sensitivity/

I've heard good things about Earth Balance and had some when we eat at our friend's house - her DD has a number of food allergies so they use it exclusively for butter-type stuff.

hrk

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2011, 22:42:18 pm »
Ugh, annatto seems to be another thing that is in a lot of "natural" food products.  It is hard to escape.  We do try to avoid it, too.  I don't even by yellow cheese any more.  I tend to buy mozzerella, or if I want cheddar, they do sell uncolored cheddar (when I am lucky to find it; usually at a cheese factory or specialty cheese section).  I don't know what to suggest there.  :-(  Maybe you will get through the three weeks and then that is one of your first things to trail (I think that was one of your ideas).

An acquaintance of mine from mom's group was quite ill for a year.  She was to all kinds of drs to figure it out; the drs came up with a gluten allergy/celiacs.  She decided to get a second opinion at mayo; they made her redo all of her tests with their hospital (no lie), which she thought was unnecessary.  Turns out the gi there found a certain bacteria (not gluten at all) as the culprit for her issues; it was missed by someone not quite so specialized.  She was happy to find out a course of antibiotics and probiotics was going to be the treatment, rather than a lifetime of gluten free.  
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 22:43:54 pm by Jean :-) »

Offline EloysH

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 23:29:19 pm »
Its such a shame that the cheeses in the USA are that crazy yellow colour.  Annatto in cheese does not exist here, totally different consumer market.  Also it is in many juices, yoghurts and other drinks.  >:(

In my oppinion no amount of preservatives or additives are good for anyone, they all have detrimental effects on behaviour in children hyperactivity, concentration, restlessness etc etc  If there is no colour free cheese alternative, I would be keeping cheese to very small amounts.   For Jarrah the only preservatives he has is in cottage cheese, and pain meds if he needs them, we just can't get cottage cheese other wise and also birthday party food - when he goes to them occassionally.  Kai only has preservatives and addtives through paracetemol and neurofen.  We drink water in the house, that solves alot of additive issues.

For myself and DH we have small amounts when there is no alternative, but basically additive and preservative free.

Do you have access to a supermarket store called ALDI over there? - it is German owned.  They have recently gone preservative and additive free for ALL their products.

Offline deb

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 23:50:43 pm »
*wants an Aldi here*

Huh. There's one about 30-40 minutes away. In a rough part of town, oddly enough. Maybe I should make the trek....

hrk

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2011, 01:39:47 am »
Aldi is all over here.  We have one 5 min away.  I have stayed away, since it doesn't have much for organic (at least when I was there last).  Their prices are really low for produce, but it is near expiration usually (needing to be used in short order).  We literally have one 5 min away.  I think I will check it out.  Be prepared to bring your own bags, if you go.  :-)  Maybe an outing for us tomorrow after going to the library.  :-)

Thanks for the hot tip, Eloys!  :-)

Offline EloysH

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2011, 02:21:54 am »
The veges aren't so great, I don't buy them, but they do have an organic range of packaged goods and dairy.  They are still phasing in the preservative and additive free.  I should look up the implementation date.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2011, 03:23:26 am »
wow on aldi going preservative/addivitive free!! cant wait til they start that!! will be checking them out this weekend i think.

sherry, i would think one of your first challenges then would need to just butter or just ghee for a week, then start another challenge. failing that then maybe annatto would have to be the next challenge?? as i think you will be somewhat limited if you dont have a butter substitute :-\

Offline EloysH

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2011, 03:33:23 am »
I went to the ALDI website: - they are aritifical colour free.  Doesn't mention preservative free.  Drats! On second thought I can't imagine how they would get rid of preservatives from alot of the foods and sauces in jars.   

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2011, 04:34:37 am »
oh bugger! spose it was too good to be true!

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2011, 04:37:14 am »
sherry, elo and anyone else - what recipe are you using for your waffles? i bought a waffle maker and dont use it as much as i like as i have to beat egg whites separately for recipes i have, wondered if you have a failsafe recipe that works well without beaten egg whites?? guess i could make a batch and freeze, as it's just not as quick as i would like to make snacks for the boys when you have to beat egg whites first.