Author Topic: March/April Thread #3  (Read 133544 times)

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

March/April Thread #3
« Reply #960 on: December 22, 2005, 19:57:39 pm »
Roz, what a cool mum to say that!  And the other woman was in YOUR house saying it?

Bianca, thanks for posting a pic of your whole family.   :)

Quote (selected)
Maybe when Sophie is 2.5 years old or so I'll make her sit quietly on the floor at the bookstore fr 5 minutes while I try to find it  (That was for you Nikki.)

:lol:

Quote (selected)
"I have been doing a lot of reading...", "I've come across research that..." "I believe in..."

Ankie, I use this tactic too with my mum on other general parenting: cio, 4hrly feeds for a newborn  :roll: .  Works wonders.  :D 

Erin, that's so cool that you use the same tactics with the special ed kids, I bet they love it. 

I guess the problem with the UP kind of parenting is that is against mainstream - there are sooo many programmes like Supernanny, Little Angles (not so bad) and we have a few local ones too that reinforce the I am the Boss and You must Comply kind of attitude.  So guess my mum and SD think that that's what I should be doing??!!

Oh bugger, the review page thingy has run out, hope I've covered all I meant to comment on.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
March/April Thread #3
« Reply #961 on: December 22, 2005, 21:53:12 pm »
Hi ladies!
Our afternoon -- Katie and I were out finishing up some Christmas stuff until past nap time, so we came home and I'm desperately trying to keep her awake by throwing toys in her lap at every red light and she stayed (relatively) awake.  I put her in her crib and she's not sleeping, but just babbling so I went downstairs and was listening to her on the monitor when all of a sudden I hear CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK - WTH is that?  So, I went upstairs and she's STANDING at the end of her crib smashing the blinds against the window (and looking very pleased with herself!).  Now she's asleep, but I'm going to have to run back upstairs the second I hear her stirring to drop the mattress down.  Fortunately, I dropped it once when she started sitting, so it's really only her head and shoulders that are above the top rail.  I wonder how long until she remember how she did it in the first place?

Roz - nice to "see" you - been wondering where you were off to.  Your mom is great for saying that!

Jody - ugh, the flu.  Hope you all feel better soon.  I often feel like puking when Katie does - can't imagine how bad it is when you actually are sick! 

Michelle - lovely pics of Molly.  She looks so grown up sitting on the stairs!  Congrats on losing the weight too!  I definitely need to improve my diet after the holidays --- too much junk food these days! 

Hannah - I used to listen to NPR on the way to work every day.  I feel so out of touch these days....

Offline sophieandhannah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
  • Washington USA
March/April Thread #3
« Reply #962 on: December 22, 2005, 22:00:25 pm »
Doesn't it just hit you several times a day how in love you are with your child?  I always used to say that it was so sad that I would never have that "falling in love" feeling again after getting married, but now I see I was wrong.  Just a holiday ish thought for you :)
Anyone remember jack handy's deep thought from SNL?  I am kinda reminding myself of him... :roll:  :oops: And there's more!

Lots of commenst and ?'s for you gals today. 
Anyone an indoor plant guru?  I have (what used to be) a beautiful huge ficus tree that is slowly dying (or so it seems)...any ideas? 

Has anyone tried hummus with their lo?  I want to make some today for myself and Sophie but I'm not sure how much garlic to add (if any?)?

Food ideas (of I haven't already shared them) Sophie is loving the scarmbled egg deal...one egg yolk+ebm or formula (just a tad) in the mcirowave about 20-25 seconds.  I cool it in the fridge then cut it into medium sized pieces and serve as finger food.  She loves picking it up. It seems I can give her bigger chunks and since it's fluffy there's no prob. with choking.
Also, she is LOVING the toast with melted  cheese. Acts like she is eating a gourmet meal, smacks her lips, VERY vocal..mah num mah num mah num mah num....pushes other things out of the way to get to the bread and cheese....you get the picture..

Have you ladies been experiencing the constant little injuries?  Head bumps/face bumps etc.?  What have you been doing? I have basically been letting her "self-soothe" a little. (Unless she's really hurt and crying for help) Mostly I just say "Ouch it sounds like that hurt.  I'm sorry you bumped your head...."  Something like that.  Not that I am trying to be a mean mom but I realized that I was sort of rushing to her and picking her up everytime she had a little bonk and I really don't want to do that.  Any thoughts on that subject?

Also, I have been enjoying watching her explore the house...book shelves etc.  I love Judy's thoughts about how "it's their house too" so I have designated the bottom shelves etc for her toys and moved out a few things but left most things and I just watch her and move her along if anything seems too dangerous (kind of like you were saying Roz) I guess I'm not into using "No" yet...but should I be?  As I have said before, they do grow up so fast...it's hard to keep up.

Finally (I promise) I was cleaning today (Woopeee!)...I finally decided that ANY cleaning is better than NO cleaning so I had better get off my tush and do a little...I think watching SOphie explore the house has seriously motivted me...she is the best dust bunny/food crumb/cob web finder...eeeewwwww.  Anyhow so I changed the sheets and all of the pillows and comforter were on the floor in the bedroom in a pile and she was having a Ball carwling "over the mountains" :)  Soooo Although I did not fingure out how to do my husdband and change my sheets at the same time (reference to a multitasking disucssion in chat last night) I did figure out how to do the sheets and play with my child :)
OKey Dokey that's all for now.
 :oops:
Hannah

Offline sophieandhannah

• BW Devotee
  • Washington USA
March/April Thread #3
« Reply #963 on: December 22, 2005, 22:03:12 pm »
Woops...I'm baaaaackkk
Erin we posted at the same time and you reminded me I wanted to say to Jody I hope that you and your bubs feel better soon. 
Also wanted to say it was nice to see you back on Roz.
And...Naomi always nice to hear from you sweetie...Glad Ri is doing a bit better.
Hannah

Offline sophieandhannah

• BW Devotee
  • Washington USA
March/April Thread #3
« Reply #964 on: December 22, 2005, 22:06:55 pm »
OMG!! Mush for brains!!
I forgot to say lol about katie and the blinds.(as long as she's ok of course)...good luck getting the crib lowered asap :)
Hannah

Offline becca24

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #965 on: December 22, 2005, 22:52:06 pm »
Hi Everyone,

JOdy - Love the pug's name - how cool is that. My mum really wants to get another pug but I am afraid my dogs will eat it so she will have to wait!!

Lisa - hope James is feeling better - I forgot to tell you I love your dogs name too - Smitty - LOL that is soooo aussie 8)

Hannah - I am with you on the 'in love' feeling. You know that butterflies in your tummy feeling you get when you first meet someone? I get that all the time with Halle!  :D Sometimes I get the 'you are driving me up the wall feeling too  :wink: Also I am in love with DH even more when we have big family cuddles and he call us 'his girls'   :D  8) (where is the love heart emoticon)
Also, love that idea about the bottom shelf on the bookshelf. Not many books on mine these days as I haven't bought one since March (hmmm i wonder why?) (oops except BWSAYP of course). I am going to clear it for her today!! She is not crawling yet but burns over to the bookshelf in her walker all the time.
BTW remember how bog is another word for poo?? Well bonk has another meaning too  :wink:

Offline sophieandhannah

• BW Devotee
  • Washington USA
March/April Thread #3
« Reply #966 on: December 22, 2005, 22:57:57 pm »
I actually knew that about bonk...woops...lol
I know what you mean about dh and his girls..I like that too.
And..one more thing..I also get that "you're drving me up the wall" feeling too...like today with a 45 minute afternoon nap and she is literally climbing the walls (trying to pull up on everything)
Hannah

Offline becca24

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #967 on: December 22, 2005, 23:12:08 pm »
Oh yeah I was going to say if Halle hurts herself a little, I try not to rush over and make a big deal of it because that seems to make her cry harder. I have been saying "uh-uh" when she grabs the bar stools as they can fall on her head -  but other than that I try to let her investigate whatever she wants. To be honest I only came to this conclusion after reading what Judy & Nikki have to say on the subject. I suppose I planned to 'teach her' not to touch things but now I can see that it's no big deal if she wants to. Actually MIL made me this vase and it's dog ugly so maybe I should let her play with it  :lol:

Offline albertasweetpea

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Our Dolly Molly - October 2007
March/April Thread #3
« Reply #968 on: December 22, 2005, 23:17:52 pm »
Jody - sucks that you all are sick!!  :shock: Hope you feel better soon - like before Saturday!!  Did your girls get the flu shots??

Hiya Roz and welcome back!! It's so hard to catch up when you miss a day or two.  Kudos to your Mom, sounds very accommodating and accepting of your BW ways. The IL's sound terrible!!  :shock: What is up with them?? How rude and ignorant, maybe they are related to that woman who commented to Micky before the flight with Jack!!  Judy is so right about not getting worked up about it, don't stoop to their level that's for sure. What does DH say about their treatment of you??  Big fat hugs to you!!

Erin - got your card today and scrumptious pics of Katie. Very adorable!! Hope she keeps those color eyes!! Her name suits her so well...Katie Rose. Very sweet.

Hannah - LOL @ your comment about me eating the turtle brownies during chat last night!! They will catch up next week I'm sure! I am also constantly falling in head-over-heels love with both of my bubs. It's such a feeling that you can't explain until you have kids. Thanks for the egg yolk idea. I want to try some different foods with Molly and that sounds pretty easy and non-chokeable for babes with no teeth yet!!  I changed the bed linens today too and let Molls on the comforter mountain on the floor!! Too funny.

Bec - same here when DH says "how did my girls do today?" Just gives me butterflies all over again.   :lol:
~Michelle (Spruce Grove, AB, Canada)

[img=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png[/img]
[url=http://www.baby-gaga.com/][img=http://tickers.baby-gag

Offline sophieandhannah

• BW Devotee
  • Washington USA
March/April Thread #3
« Reply #969 on: December 22, 2005, 23:20:54 pm »
ROTFLMAO about the "dog ugly" vase from MIL!! Bec.

Offline becca24

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #970 on: December 22, 2005, 23:28:42 pm »
OK I know I am back again........but i was checking out ways I might be able to overcome my fear of flying and I came across this. Thought we all might need this one LOL LOL  :lol:  :lol:

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/TopicsDateKey/Aug2000#4

Offline sophieandhannah

• BW Devotee
  • Washington USA
March/April Thread #3
« Reply #971 on: December 22, 2005, 23:34:41 pm »
OMG sign me up for treatment! :)

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

March/April Thread #3
« Reply #972 on: December 22, 2005, 23:36:57 pm »
Hannah

Quote (selected)
"Ouch it sounds like that hurt. I'm sorry you bumped your head...." Something like that. Not that I am trying to be a mean mom but I realized that I was sort of rushing to her and picking her up everytime she had a little bonk and I really don't want to do that. Any thoughts on that subject?

That's pretty much what I used to/do say to Nathan.  If he was totally unfazed by it I wouldn't say anything.  If he cried I wouldn't do a "poor baby" type of reply but more what you put above.  Can't believe none of these things are an issue for us yet!  :shock:  8)

Quote (selected)
Also, I have been enjoying watching her explore the house...book shelves etc. I love Judy's thoughts about how "it's their house too" so I have designated the bottom shelves etc for her toys and moved out a few things but left most things and I just watch her and move her along if anything seems too dangerous (kind of like you were saying Roz) I guess I'm not into using "No" yet...but should I be?

I think your approach is great, it's all about redirection at this stage.  Even if you were saying "no" she probably wouldn't remember or have the control to not do it next time (or even 20 times later) - I personally think it's a big waste of energy doing that.  Easier to move out of the way what you don't want touched, anything else you can let her have a little play with and then move on and she'll probably get bored of that after a few weeks/months anyway.

Quote (selected)
Actually MIL made me this vase and it's dog ugly so maybe I should let her play with it

LOL, I have a huge clock that FIL gave us as a wedding present with the words "here's a gift to make an heirloom"!  Eeek, how do I get rid of it, I'm hoping for an earthquake and for it to fall off the wall (not that I really want to wish that on us!). And if that doesn't deal to it, I'll help...or maybe that too can be propped up in my firebox for next winter...

Gotta go, it's lunchtime and both are looking like they're finished.

Offline Carter'sMama

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • Windsor, Canada
March/April Thread #3
« Reply #973 on: December 22, 2005, 23:54:43 pm »
Well we made the trip home  (well almost home ... we stopped at my brother's which is 3 hours from my house, one hour from my parents).  We left right at Carter's p.m nap time and he slept for the first 2 hours!!!  He fussed the rest of the way but we dealt with it!!!  Our car was soooo full I don't know how DH stuffed it all in.  I had to drop my animals off at my work for boarding because there was no room in the car.  It was so sad ... I've never not had them around at Christmas.  Maybe I'm just a freak but I miss them already! 
  We had 2 laundry baskets overflowing with presents for the family plus the pack n play, stroller clothes for all of us, Carter's food etc etc etc.  Unfortunatley we had to take it all out of the car in order to get to the pack n play.  Too bad we are only staying one night and have to repack and then unpack it all again tomorrow.

Richelle & Michelle:  Yes the Peanut Butter Blossoms do sound delicious!  I too am a peanut butter hound and during my third trimester I lived on peanut butter chocolate chip sandwiches!!!  My OB said it was okay because going into the 3rd trimester  I had only gained like 10lbs  :oops:  (total at end of preg was 17lbs - must have been the sandwiches!).  I make something called peanut butter balls at Christmas which I absolutely love!  DH ends up taking them all to work though so I don't get very many.  I would love the recipe for the blossoms though!

Micky:  Wow ... definitely what a trooper!!  Glad he was so good on the plane.  Some people's comments eh?  When my Dr told me Benadryl would make my baby sleepy I asked him "how much do I need to give?!"  :lol:

Jody:  So sorry about the flu ... and over Christmas.  Hope everything works out for you and that you are all feeling better soon. BTW I LOVE your dogs name!  Very distinguished.  I didn't get to name either of my pets but I did kinda change my cats... He is Ollie Furr (previously just Ollie) but now he is shaved so he is Ollis No Furr!!  He is a persian/Himalayan mix.  My dog already had the name Boss and since DH works on  mustangs it just fit!!

I got cards from Bec and Macaire today!  Thank you!!  I hope all of mine are being received.  I mailed them over a week ago.  I think the international ones will be late but the US and Canadian ones should be there by now!

When Carter falls and hurts himself I wait to see if he is really going to cry or not.  I have taken to saying uh oh esp when he is doing something that will hurt him but now he looks at me and goes "uh uh uh oh uh" so I don't think it is very effective!!!

Hope everyone has a great night!  I hope I get to have a good night.  Carter rarely sleeps in his pack and play plus he will be in the room with us so Dh and I can't make any noise  :(  :roll:
Cathy - Mama to:
Carter Luke - March 29, 2005
Mason Henry - April 7, 2007
Daphne Catherine Grace - May 30, 2010

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

March/April Thread #3
« Reply #974 on: December 23, 2005, 00:25:17 am »
Can't believe it - after Danielle not being interested in moving, just today she's started to pull her knees under her belly.  It was actually seeing Richelle's photo of Sophie tucked up like that in bed, that got me helping her to do that (she's always been a bit stiff and resistent to that), so because she didn't want to have nap #2 the same time as Nathan I was just playing with her on my bed and tickling her sides while she was on her tummy and it was making her pull her legs in as she was giggling and started to propel herself forwards!  :shock:  :lol:  A bit of shock treatment does wonder huh...? 8)