Author Topic: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)  (Read 76052 times)

Offline lizzyr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)
« Reply #345 on: November 28, 2010, 12:12:21 pm »
I just have to say this on the mucus. Finn still has random mucousy poo's, but I have come to realise that it is lots to do with his teeth, I don't think it is always a food reaction. And in fact other people I have spoken to talk about similar nappies when their child is teething. I agree to keep on with the oats and see if this continues. I did this when I was trialing and I found the next poo was ok and normal in a couple of days. I think it is so easy to discount a food, when in fact it could be other things at play.

On another note - 7 days of eggs directly to Finn. 4 days egg yolk only 3 days white and yolk. I am always afraid to share good news in case it all goes  up (pardon the expression), but think I can breathe a sigh of relief now...

Eloise, don't give up on the oats now - ride it out and see what happens, F loves his porridge and I have a nice recipe for flapjacks as a treat..!

Wheat tommorow...(crikey!) I am thinking what to give him - I can't link to the site I used which detailed how to trial the different foods, but I seem to remember the order as plain wheat (pasta - or I thought starting with wheetabix), then bread... Does anyone have details of how to trial this? (I am doing all the trial directly to him now, not through my milk).
Cheers, Lizzy

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #346 on: November 28, 2010, 15:00:32 pm »
Totally agree with Lizzie. Really good point about the teething x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #347 on: November 28, 2010, 19:02:02 pm »
There seems to be some rally great food introductions going on - great news!

I am still too scared to re-introduce Nutramigen AA let alone any foods! We are still getting NWs but they are not the 2 hr screaming sessions with wind and pain. Not sure what they are but they aren't as long (although more frequent ::)).

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #348 on: November 28, 2010, 19:44:59 pm »
Hes not teething though  :)  ok I will push on!

wheat is pasta on day 1.  I will look up the rest later today I think its 2 slices of bread a day without preservatives in it.

Offline lizzyr

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #349 on: November 28, 2010, 20:21:43 pm »
Just got to laugh as the forum automatically changed t*i*t*s to breasts in my post- loving the expression 'breasts up'...

Offline lizzyr

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #350 on: November 28, 2010, 20:34:13 pm »
Thanks Eloise for checking the wheat for me. I am terrified TBH!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #351 on: November 28, 2010, 22:30:54 pm »
Wheat challenge:  (for an adult)

Days 1-3 eat one cup of plain pasta & 12 water crackers (dairy free)

Days 4-7 continue wheat and crackers and addd unpreserved bread (4 slices per day), avoid dairy in bread.

Stop once you get  a reaction.

Obviously this is too much for a baby, but you get the drift! Wheat in pasta is not as "wheaty" as bread.   

Not sure why wheatabix is not recommended. Surely you could substitute.  Just check taht there are no other ingredients in there like preservatives or dairy.

I hope he passes and it doesn't go breasts up   ;)

Yay for the egg!!!!!!  Woo hoooooo!!!

So I ate the oats today, will give it a few more days......

Offline lizzyr

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #352 on: November 29, 2010, 08:48:30 am »
Thanks Eloise. Have given him 1/4 of a weetabix this morning...he loved it! So will continue using this or I have some organic wheat pasta. Then if this is ok, bread. Crikey, if he could eat bread...I can eat it again - it would be so nice (my local farm shop bakes the BEST fresh bread every day - and all dairy / preservative / nasties free...ahhhhhhhh I miss it!!!).

The other thing is, if he passes wheat I could make him a fairly normal birthday cake with eggs and wheat in - it's his 1st birthday next week. It would be a real moment if I could do that...

Well done for being brave with the oats, I'm keeping everthing crossed for you...

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #353 on: November 29, 2010, 10:57:56 am »
The other thing is, if he passes wheat I could make him a fairly normal birthday cake with eggs and wheat in - it's his 1st birthday next week. It would be a real moment if I could do that...
SNAP!! had the same thought exactly when k just passed his wheat and then egg challenge :)

ok, so update on us, wheat is all good, i caved and did vegemite as a food challenge as the convenience of making a vegemite sandwich to take out with us was just too tempting, and he passed :) :) :) such a HGUE moment to watch him eat his first vegemite toast even if it was with df butter.
and egg is fine on it's own too. he is also now tolerating 4tsp daily of moderate salicylates. he is having 1tsp sweet potato, couldnt get past this without a reaction a couple of months ago but have held this amount constant, and the other 3tsp are zucchini. so if you are having difficulties with moderates salicylates, try a diff mod sal veg to try and see if you can build up their threshold further. dont be put off if they fail on some others (k has failed butternut pumpkin and the sweet potato). the plan is to add 1 more tsp zucchini (so 4tsp total purely for the convenience because the icecube tray takes 4tsps) and then am going to try the same amount of some other moderate sals, thinking peas, carrots, apple, in hopes that he can have some of these when we are away at xmas time as would be much more convenient than swede and choko...

lizzy, for wheat for k, i was told to do 100% durum wheat pasta first for 3 days, then if that was tolerated i could do bread (but soy and preservative free bread, only one i can find so far is sour dough from baker's delight). i actually did 1/2 a vitabrit first as that's what i had in the cupboard. these are similar to weetbix but are made of only wheat and a tiny amount of salt, whereas weetbix here are loaded with sugar and some other additives (i used weetabix with ds1 but wanted to limit the trial to wheat only for ds2 IYSWIM). i dont think you get vitabrits over there tho do you?? not that it matters if he is fine on it tho ;) next i did the pasta and then i did the bread.
and to the 'breasts up' PMSL!!

elo, yeah i'd stick with oats for you but not introduce to kai yet unless symptoms disappear.

Offline lizzyr

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #354 on: November 30, 2010, 09:41:23 am »
Thanks Huntersmummy - we have Organic Wheetabix here which are better than the normal ones. How old is your LO?

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #355 on: November 30, 2010, 22:46:09 pm »
9.5mths

Offline EloysH

« Reply #356 on: December 01, 2010, 03:04:35 am »
So I stoppd eating oats after day 4 as he is defo teething.  :(
I need to know if the mucus is teething or oats related.   But I don't want to risk upsetting his system more. We'll see. For some reason he's pooing everyday since the oats too. which is nice.

Yay for the vegemite love.  How many days did you give it to him for?
Yay for his birthday cake too!

So I spoke to dietician and she said to stop oats and try again after he's stoped teething. She also said to give him eggs directly and fish, so that is high on the list now, eggs will give alot more breakie options. Also to give him flaxseed oil a bit later on.   And of coruse we still need toliberalise past the "low" salicylates.  That is very high on the list.

She also said to try him on more amines, pork and slow cooked meats.

And rap on the nuckles for me for not eating enough fatty fish!

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #357 on: December 02, 2010, 03:59:54 am »
Yay for the vegemite love.  How many days did you give it to him for?

i did it like a food challenge for 3 days first and then kept it in for a week straight (upped his sals on day 4 too). it was so nice to go out shopping with him yesterday and just bring a vegemite sandwich and a banana for him to eat and not have to heat it rather than my little pots of homemade veg/pasta/etc :)

thanks for the reminder, i've gotta try k on fish too!

up to 5tsp of sals today...

Offline lizzyr

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #358 on: December 07, 2010, 10:33:43 am »
Huntersmummy - what are your LOs symptoms when reacting to sals? Would be really interested to know and compare to Finns.

Finn has had wheat for 7 days! Was his birthday yesterday - made the cake!!!....Which he rather liked!!! Lovely.

He is teething like a bad boy the last couple of days, really want to do moderate sals this week so hoping things will settle down. Want to knwo by Christmas as will make a big diff to me and him.

Ahhh also, he is now tolerating bananas!!!! So things really are looking up. Hope this gives hope to some of you that things can get better! (Dare I say it - why do I STILL feel scared to say it?!)

Anyway, meant to bo doing some work at the moment, so better go......

Offline EloysH

« Reply #359 on: December 18, 2010, 10:30:52 am »
Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd better update, so much time has passed.

Kai is not on moderate salicylates yet  :(    Took him to a  naturopath who has had success with desensitising babies with food intolerances by presribing vitamin and mineral suppelments to boost their immune systems and whatever else needs help.  She explained to me that a salicylate intolerance  or other chemical sensitivty is actually more about detoxification.  When they are not detoxifying properly the additives/preservatives/salicylates build up in the system and cause problems insread of being excreted readily. She started explaining possible reasons why Kai might not be detoxifying properly,  she went right into alot of biochemisty stuff she mentioned genetics, enzymes, liver function and maturity, but I can't remember the details now  :-\   Its a shame because I was really distracted with Kai at the time, it was so interesting.

Anyway, now i am torn beween putting him on these vitamins and minerals (transfer factor, B6, zinc & glycine) for 4 weeks and delaying moderate salicylates & wheat till this is done as per her advice, or else starting moderate sals now.... that was my hope to have some momentum before Xmas.  Its really getting me down that he can only eat "lows" he only eats pears and banannas, - hates paw paw   and then the boring veges that are "low".  But what she asys makes such sense and also a "know" babies through the Fed Up Food Intolerance Netork that have been to her and now can eat such a wider range of salicylates.

And I am still eating moderate to low sals - Xmas without tropical fruit.... :(

On a good note, he's eating fish and slow cooked meats, I am eating the full compliment of amines  :)

I am pretty keen to put him on egg for all the vitamins and fatty acids  so I am thinking  to get him on the vitamins - takes 2 weeks, then the egg, and then we'll soon be at the middle end of the vitamins and mineral course, then into late January and he'll be 10.5 months old and ready for sals.  Sad that he has to wait that long but oh well. 

He is teething pretty hard at the moment, he was doing really well up until today I have just seen his reflux starting to flare and a bit of mucus poo.  It could be many things, panadol with flavouring, a coconut cream dessert I keep eating, his new vitamins...  I will keep plugging on minus the coconut dessert  and see where we end up.

Do you guys think this all sounds a bit far fetched ?

I am losing my way a bit on this new tangent and also we have had so many nights of NW'ing with the teething I am just very very tired and sick of managing his diet and mine and lacking inspiration with his food. He is really OFF food now that he's teething and makes it incredibly hard to get much into him at the moment.