Author Topic: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)  (Read 75958 times)

Offline Edesanja

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 39
Re: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)
« Reply #270 on: October 27, 2010, 01:24:32 am »
I'm not sure what to do, ladies.

J has been just eating chicken for 3 meals a day for the past 3.5 days. We are both so sick of chicken!! He is hardly eating any now - he's totally over it. I was going to give it a week  but I'm thinking of expanding to lamb very soon (we haven't done lamb at all before but it's low allergenic, low sals, low fructose so think it's about as safe as we can get) since we should be able to figure out a baseline on those two meats.

What am I going to try after that though? There are basically no foods that are low sals/ low fructose. Rice and potatoes are about the only ones and both are stodgy. I have no idea what to do.
Jenny - mama to

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #271 on: October 27, 2010, 06:26:19 am »
just to go back a step... how is his tummy?  Is it improved? or the same? 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #272 on: October 27, 2010, 10:40:54 am »
Hi,

So we are off to the dietician today. Not sure what to expect (this is the NHS after all  ::)) but hopefully will get guidance on how to ensure Olly is getting all his nutritional needs met and how to wean him off BF at 12 months.

Eloise - thought about you yesterday.. As I am now not eating eggs and wheat and since being pregnant have an insatiable sweet tooth I made flapjacks yerday - really just oats, sugar, syrup and DF butter (I added sultanas and coconut too). They were yummy. Def makes up for the restricitve diet - has 2 for brekkie - oops! Not sure what foods you can eat - or if you like sweet things but just an idea  :-*

Offline EloysH

« Reply #273 on: October 27, 2010, 11:40:48 am »
Sorry Jenny, I didn't read your post properly.  I personally thing you would be safe to have lamb and chicken on there for your baseline, just so you can get some food into him at the same time. I would do the same and take the risk that both those foods are no problem at all. 

aww thanks BB  ;)  yet to add oats that's on the to do list... as a challenge.  Sounds yummy though  :)  How are you doing egg and wheat free?

I am about to try a chriopractic kineasiologist (spelling) for Kai's food intolerances.  A bit of fun and a bit of serious, I do like my hocus pocus stuff. It will be interesting if it confirms what I have found.  It will take a few weeks to get to the nitty gritty of things like salicylates though. 

Good luck with the dietician lets us know the advice for protein + calcium over 12 months, the dietician alluded something to me about needing to add more proteins to his diet if he is still dairy free after 12 months due to rice milk not considered a "whole milk".  With Ds1 he was able to tolerate goats milk so it wasn't an issue.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #274 on: October 27, 2010, 15:16:04 pm »
Egg and wheat free is OK. Miss bread though as I would have toast for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch  ::). He has had 3 better nights since I have been off it. Course the test with be re-introducing but I need a few more good nights before I attempt this!

Dietician said rice/hemp milk wasn't enough protein and has given me Nutramigen to add to his foods eg his morning porridge. I asked about weaning at 12 months and she said that it would need to be onto Nutramigen unless he had enough protein in his diet and calcium supplements. Then rice milk could be given just as a 'social' drink.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #275 on: October 27, 2010, 20:34:11 pm »
So he needs to get used to the taste of the formula as a drink then?    How long would he need to be on the formula  until he can tolerate dairy?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #276 on: October 27, 2010, 20:50:00 pm »
Well I am going to try and introduce it in food and see what happens. He might react to it anyway! The proteins in this milk I think are not totally broken down. Really it is only like introducing another food taste right? If he takes to it then great - I will continue to give this instead of cow's milk when I wean. If not there are other options.

As for the dairy - I have no idea. I explained our history and the dietician seemed to think he would be intolerant until 2-3. Who really knows though?? Have you tried any of these formula milks? As they contain protein they may fill Kai up longer and help with NFs? I know you said you give protein twice a day (we are still on one so you are ahead of us there!) but something to consider? Dietician recommended making custard with it! Not sure if you get Bird's custard powder but it is just cornflour and colourings apparetnly - haven't checked. She said to give before BT! Not that I agree with this for us but hey may help others  ;)

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #277 on: October 27, 2010, 21:34:03 pm »
Good idea to add to food BB. Though DD was on Neocate from 7 months and would drink it fine, but hated it in food ::). And she really needed the extra calories from adding it too. I must make sure I add it to J's food soon so he gets used to it.

We did do lamb yesterday and he woke at 5am with an awful sore tummy - the worst it's been in a long time and the only night time one we've had in months and months and months. We're pushing on through, but surely it can't be lamb anyway???!!!! Besides he hardly ate any of it anyway. Ugh I hate this!!

He's also had raw blisters on his bottom for the past 3 days that will be thrush (DD had the exact same thing at the same age but it wasn't diagnosed as thrush (despite seeing GP, baby nurse, paed - ugh still makes me so mad!!!). It lasted from 6 months till 13months old and seemed to be food related so her diet was restricted too). This time at least I know it's not food related (from experience and because he's practically eating nothing) but having to do the same food trials over again for a 2nd child is just making me so CROSS that I have to do this again. Excuse the pity party.
Jenny - mama to

Offline EloysH

« Reply #278 on: October 27, 2010, 21:55:14 pm »
sorry to hear that Jenny.  Has he been on antibiotics before?  Still giving probiotic?

hrk

« Reply #279 on: October 27, 2010, 23:05:40 pm »
JEnny, how frustrating on the blisters!  :-( 

The hypoallergenic formulas are supposed to be broken down much more to be safe for those with allergies to milk, soy, and lactose.  It is still cow milk based.  We stayed on alimentum (a hypoallergenic to around 15 months, as I was terrified to try milk).  He was WAY over the 95th percentile for weight, as he did drink a lot of formula.  He was at the very high end for daily amts.  Prior to going on prevacid, he was drinking way more than the recommended daily amt.  He would scream down the house for more formula every 1.5-2.5 hrs (based on needing to drink/swallow to soothe his throat from reflux).    I have also heard others mention it passes through the system faster (and that helps with reflux).  I am not sure if it would make a difference for helping a lo feel fuller longer?  Since we did formula from about a month+ on, I really don't have much comparison.

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #280 on: October 28, 2010, 00:33:17 am »
sorry to hear that Jenny.  Has he been on antibiotics before?  Still giving probiotic?

No antibiotics for him (but I was permanently till he was 4months-ish) but I did stop giving the probiotic when I stopped giving the pears with his losec (was part of the routine and I just forgot to do it ::)). It was only a break of a few days but have been remembering again since it appeared.

E's rash was hideous but even then with just probiotics, antifungal cream and washing her down with cider vinegar after nappy changes it was gone in a week so I think J's rash should be gone pretty quick with the same treatment.
Jenny - mama to

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #281 on: October 28, 2010, 04:28:56 am »
the calcium issue is proving tricky here. k really would be happier on 3 day bottles. currently has 4 (one is a split feed) and a DF. i cant give a full bottle any closer to 30mins before nap time as otherwise he is too refluxy and uncomfortable to nap properly. hmm might have to start a post for ideas on this one. i've been advised to keep him on 4 bottles as he isnt having yoghurt/cheese.

i stuffed up yesterday and accidentally gave him 1 tsp zucchini (salicylates) rather than 1/2 tsp that he is meant to be on for another week. he is covered in a rash, looks very similar to what happened the day after we tried zucchini the first time on 1/2tsp... can he seriously be THAT sensitive!

on a good note, i 'think' oats are okay. so BB i would LOVE that flapjack recipe as may try it for K. would be nice to give him something other than a rice cake or rice stick for snacks :)

elo, i forgot to say that dietician okayed ricemilk in cooking too so that you can make 'family meals'. hahahahha yeah cos the rest of the fam wants choko and swede and beans for all their meals ::). ok for mash potato etc tho i guess. i was thinking would be good for fish pies and low chemical shepards pies etc.

jenny, more hugs hun :-*

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #282 on: October 28, 2010, 08:05:44 am »
Jean - as far as I know in some milks the proteins aren't broken down as much as others so sensitive bubs can still react. As the milk contains protein which rice milk doesn't it keeps them fuller longer. We have tried it in ready brek today and olly is eating it. Just 30mls to start in case he does react.

Kirry - will type up recipe later. Loads of sugar tho so may not be suitable for K? I made them for ME! ;D

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #283 on: October 28, 2010, 08:09:04 am »
Do other BFing mums take supplements? Dietician was horrified that I haven't been prescribed calcium sups and said my teeth must be shot to bits! Arghhh. that is what happens when Nhs take 9 months to refer you! Might be free but it is fairly rubbish!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #284 on: October 28, 2010, 08:21:32 am »
Yes luv, defo taking 1200mg of calcium a day....... (mind you it needs to be a balanced supplement that means its got alot of other things init including magnesium so your body can actually absorb the calcium in the supplement.   My teeth are still crap though  ::)    :

Kirry: yay to the oats!  It gives me hope! 

on a another note, day 3 of bannanas and day 3 of  no poo.  This is the boy that poos once a day like clockwork.   I just gave him a teaspoon of physillium husks (excuse spelling) lets hope they help  ::)