Author Topic: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)  (Read 75606 times)

Offline lizzyr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Anyone else on an elimination diet (Fed up or RPAH?)
« Reply #300 on: November 03, 2010, 09:32:28 am »
I am confused about Neocate. I have not given F any, as one of the first ingredients is Coconut Oil, and this is in the Very High category.
Any thoughts on this anyone? Would be useful, as I'd like to be able to mixed feed on the 2 days I work.

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #301 on: November 03, 2010, 09:53:46 am »
I have no idea... but my dieticians recommend it... and they are experts with salicylates... it must modified so that there aren;t any in there I think  :)

I just had to post in the lounge sorry Jean I am too tired to think about the diet stuff tonight.  Tomorrow will be a better day.

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #302 on: November 04, 2010, 08:47:09 am »
Thanks for the ideas. I've got millet puffs to try and want to do banana and then beef.
Jenny - mama to

Offline EloysH

« Reply #303 on: November 04, 2010, 10:59:02 am »
and I make the foods into finger foods such as grated veges in patty cakes and lightly fried, baked wedges in oil,  and meat stock pots in chicken stock with cubed veges and slightly mashed with a fork.  Much tastier that way. also sheperds pie - beef mince in stock. 

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #304 on: November 05, 2010, 08:03:46 am »
We had two and a half GREAT tummy days on Tues, Wed and half of Thurs.  They were also days we were doing rice. Also every single nappy was dirty (usually 75% are dirty). Yesterday pm and today he's been grizzly and today only had 1 big poo and 1 little poo so I think rice must be bunging him up a little. I'm going to make sure I don't give him too much, but I'm not going to try banana yet now since it will probably add to constipating issues. So might do beef after millet but then I really want another vegetable or fruit.

Eloise, J is fine with avocados. They're high sals. Can I just consider that a pass for sals because finding fruit/ vege that are both low in sals and low in fructose is the impossible task. (not that I know that fructose is a problem but wanting to tread carefully just in case- and pears do seem suspect still)
Jenny - mama to

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #305 on: November 05, 2010, 21:37:47 pm »
and I make the foods into finger foods such as grated veges in patty cakes and lightly fried, baked wedges in oil,  and meat stock pots in chicken stock with cubed veges and slightly mashed with a fork.  Much tastier that way. also sheperds pie - beef mince in stock. 

I am going to try some of these ideas. Was running out of food last night so he had his first finger food meal of bits and pieces and loved it! Going to try and do one a day now - prob lunch as it took so long it was nearly BT when we finished lol x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #306 on: November 05, 2010, 21:39:13 pm »
Jenny, I have testing Olly on bananas and he has been bunged  :-X Going to give it a break and test again next week - shame as they are such a handy food to be able to give them.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #307 on: November 06, 2010, 03:31:36 am »
Jean:
Quote (selected)
Here is the other thing that throws off that theory, too.  He will sometimes eat a store bought bread (without molasses) and get no reaction.  It does have proprionates.  But maybe the amt is less than other prepared breads?  It keeps me guessing.  And breads also have "nutritional" additives, too.  Hmmmm.....

Hi Jean,  the theory on the reaction is that they react when they reach a critical level of the chemical in their system, so one reason he might not be reacting from the bread is that a few slices of breads every other day with propinoates might be below his threshold.  But  if you were to keep feeding him that same bread every day, eventually he would react when the amount of that chemical exceeds his tolerance threshold.    So maybe yes, there is less preservative in that bread than others, thus taking longer for the build up to occur in his system.

Just for info I looked up the food challenge protocal for propinoates.  It's 4 serves per day for 3 days.  I serve  = 1 slice of bread.  The breads chosen must not contain vinegar or else you may be getting a salicyalte reaction.  If dairy, egg or gluten are a problem the breads should not contains these either.  So if he survived the three days without a reaction then this groups or preservatives gets the all clear.     And of course the challenge will be compromised if one is not on a low chemical diet for all other areas  amines/glutamates/sals.

Jenny: great to hear you had some good days!  Great that sals aren't a problem!!

BB: too bad about the bannana.  What happened?   K's favourite finger food by far is roasted wedges of swede and potato in rice bran oil, roasted so they go caramelised.  

We are in wait and watch mode.  He is doing well with moderate amounts of amines in his diet (bananna and paw paw, just need to give kidney beans ad physillium husks to counteract the constipating effect of bananna and he's ok).   The dietcian wants me to keep upping his amines to find the point where he reacts!  So now I need to add pork.  I'm  not sure we have time for that, it could go on for weeks. Of course we are supposed to keep everything else constant and only fiddle with the amines so that means no new foods for either or us.  I am thinking that we just do some egg for my diet whilst holding this moderate level of amines constant.  Not entirely scientific, but I can' do it properly every time  ::)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 03:33:42 am by EloysH »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #308 on: November 06, 2010, 16:26:46 pm »
Eloise - just go for the egg in your diet - you know you want to! Sods law he won't react and you can have your eggs every day!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #309 on: November 12, 2010, 12:36:45 pm »
Eloise - how are you doing? I kow you put off the egg  :'(

I am trying to get some m/s/w/e free finger foods recipes under my belt - is there a thread going already does anyone know??

hrk

« Reply #310 on: November 12, 2010, 13:11:53 pm »
Quote (selected)
But  if you were to keep feeding him that same bread every day, eventually he would react when the amount of that chemical exceeds his tolerance threshold.
  I usually make our own bread.  If we are in a pinch and I buy the molasses free, we will have it for days to a week and it is fine.  If he has one bun (or it could be the meat, too) from a fast food place (I know it is yuck, but it is good to trial to see if he can tolerate the processed version of the same thing) then it shows up.  So, essentially both are processed, but the bread I buy in a pinch is from Trader Joes has less of the ingredients.  I emailed McD's, and the hamburger is 100% beef and no chemicals.  Of course, the age of the meat could be a factor.  To rule out bread vs meat, I should do just a white cheese sandwich perhaps and see if the same thing happens at Subway or E&G, perhaps.  E&G's bread does have molasses for sure, and Subway does not (at least when I last checked).   ::)

Offline EloysH

« Reply #311 on: November 12, 2010, 18:14:25 pm »
I'm doing the egg  - on day 2

I can give you my finger foods.. or else lets start a new thread...

Jean, whats the issue with molasses again? moderate sal?

hrk

« Reply #312 on: November 12, 2010, 19:40:02 pm »
I have no idea on the molasses???  But it seems to be a coinciding ingredient in foods that flare up his bottom with regards to the cereal bars I made and a coinciding ingredient in some prepared foods.  But not always like the McD's burger.  I wonder if I did some molasses cookies (with ingredients that seem to otherwise be safe) and give it a try to see if that could be really it? Also try the cheese sandwich to weed out meat as a possility. 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #313 on: November 12, 2010, 19:41:06 pm »
Eggcellent (see what I did there lol!). Was it as good you remembered?? Eggs are the only thing that I didn't really want when I could have them but seem to want every meal once I was off them!

I thought about starting a thread but didn't know where to put it. I know there is one for MSPI recipes but they seem to be for the mums not the babies with sensitive tums. Also didn't know if there was enough of us to warrant our own thread!

hrk

« Reply #314 on: November 12, 2010, 20:16:53 pm »
I also thought to add that the Trader Joe's bread is proprionate free, too....hmmm....