Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9  (Read 53245 times)

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 123
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 20:55:22 pm »
Oh makes me think of worms. The ideas you gave are all great. I'm just being lazy i guess to make something different for b. I used to take time to do so with k but i am always in a rush with 2. I also have to be more organised with shopping to make those things. I have Veg pancakes in the freezes from a few weeks ago. I forgot i made those.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 02:59:24 am »
Creations, F went though quite a long phase when she hardly ate any carbs - not interested in bread, rice or porridge. (She would usually go for potato in any form though :)) I just kept on putting a small spoon of my porridge on her tray every couple of days. For several weeks it was quickly relegated to the floor in favour of her fruit - but about 10 days ago she tried it again, and started stuffing it in her mouth like it was the best thing she'd ever tasted. Since then, she's eaten it well. Same with rice - all of a sudden, she was keen, and now she eats PILES of it (good thing too, seeing as that's what the locals have three meals a day!). We have brown rice at home, so lots of good nutrients there. She's slowly getting more interested in toast as well.

So while I was a bit worried about her carb intake for a while as well, I tried to tell myself not to be...and it's just come right on it's own. I think just choose something to keep offering regularly, and I bet he'll take to it eventually.

Thanks for the muffin recipe - sweet potatoes have just come into season here and were really cheap at the market this morning, so I'm going to make some today!
*Nuala*

Offline DSAN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 16:38:27 pm »
Thanks everyone for your advice re: reflux and BLW. I too thought it would make it better but nope :( well, that hasn't been the case for us any way. I guess its just going to have to be a bit of trial and error with my guy. Sigh. This reflux thing really bites! Lookingg forward to restarting solids.... I'm getting tired of nursing every hour round the clock :P
Heather, Mommy to Dylan

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 21:50:08 pm »
We have been having the same problem here. B manages to get a bit in his mouth then gags and his whole milk feed from 1 or 2hrs earlier comes up. Not sure what to do. Have posted on reflux board. B is very interested in the food last couple days otherwise.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 18:57:18 pm »
We have been having the same problem here. B manages to get a bit in his mouth then gags and his whole milk feed from 1 or 2hrs earlier comes up. Not sure what to do. Have posted on reflux board. B is very interested in the food last couple days otherwise.
That's awful!  I feel so incredibly lucky that this doesn't happen to DS. 

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 20:13:29 pm »
No vomit today. On my thread the consensus is continue BLW but take it at his pace. He had a good suck on some rusk and rice cake today as I tried to chose things that wouldn't break off in his mouth. I must get some soft fruit tomorrow.

Offline creations

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 21:27:05 pm »
He had a good suck on some rusk and rice cake today
oh, rice cake is just about the only thing that does come back up with DS.  I think it's because it's quite 'dry' and then he drinks water and the bits of rice come back up with the water as there is no proper substance sittingin his tummy iykwim.

Have you tried the organix moon biscuits?  They are good for gumming and sucking on and don't have sugar/salt.  They are also quite chunky for gripping onto (and moon is a great shape for any LO new to BLW too)

Offline DSAN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 21:58:32 pm »
No vomit today. On my thread the consensus is continue BLW but take it at his pace. He had a good suck on some rusk and rice cake today as I tried to chose things that wouldn't break off in his mouth. I must get some soft fruit tomorrow.

I think I am going to continue with BLW too, once we get his meds sorted. I think we need an increased dose again... That way even if he doesn't want to eat he's still getting the experience of new textures, picking stuff up, etc. He's got a pretty good pincer grasp now so its time to put it to use!

I'm glad your little guy is doing better :) no vomit is a good thing!!
Heather, Mommy to Dylan

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 00:16:49 am »
Glad you guys think you'll be able to continue with BLW, slowly. No reflux here so sorry I can't be of any help - but hugs!

Creations, I tried your muffins. Mmmmm. We both like them :) I used a mix of chopped dates and prunes. Think the uncooked mixture was a bit thick though, I wondered at the time whether to add more liquid but thought maybe it was meant to be like that because the fruit content is so high...but next time will go with my instinct and add a bit more I think! Back to avoiding dairy so I just used water in place of the milk, and they were fine.
*Nuala*

Offline LaneVids

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 02:43:25 am »
My wife and I have been documenting our daughter's BLW progress through video on YouTube. We try to give her lots of new foods, so there might be some good ideas for you guys to use if you are searching for food to give your BLW little one! Also I try to give some comments in the video about what we have learned through the process. Here is Day 1 of our experience! I hope you find this helpful!

Baby Led Weaning - Day 1 - Banana

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 12:43:25 pm »
Joining this thread as I'll be starting blw soon...

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 20:23:02 pm »
Welcome Becky. This is such fun.

I got some of those organix baby biscuits and gave it to b as his lunch at playgoup. He loved it. I wish I knew how muchis actually going in. To know if he is actually eating rather than because I am worried about how much he is eating.

B keeps getting it stuck at the roof of his mouth if it is too dry and then he can't get it out for ages until I help him. when he gets upset.

We are going to a party on saturday night and I can't wait to just load up his tray! I bought some cheap placemats as they are thin and can roll up so i can take them to put on the table when we eat out as the tray's aren't always clean enough for my liking.

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 21:14:41 pm »
Ooh we get organix biscuits here! Would you try those early on though or only once they've tried fruit/veg first?

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 21:33:35 pm »
We still have nothing really going in here - although she really really enjoyed her toast and philly spread at lunch time!!

Do you start meat now too? Or wait until they're older?? Is there anything you're supposed to steer clear of other than egg whites, honey and added salt/sugar?

Offline creations

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 22:47:04 pm »
Khalams mama, maybe try the oaty bars and carrot cake (organix again) too, they are a little more moist than the biscuits.

Lanevids, how old is your LO in the video?  I have a few videos of DS eating, you inspired me to look back at them, it's amazing seeing those early experiences.

The hardest thing I find is the odd occassion when I have no choice but to leave DS with someone else for a meal.  Nana has had him a couple of times whilst I've been at appointments and I worry about how Nana will cope, she is so proud of DS's eating ability but at the same time she is frightened and has a tendency to want to jump at him the second he has a large piece of something in his mouth (she also constantly orders him to 'chew chew chew!' and I tell her to just let him eat in peace!).  Then a few days back I left DS at a baby ryhme time session with DP whilst I popped to the shop.  I forgot they had snack time and as I returned walked in to find DS hacking up a whole dried apricot.  It's just about the only food he can't handle and I wouldn't have even offered them to him knowing he can't chew them but DP didn't know.  DS coped well, gagged, hacked up, went red in the face and then moved on to a piece of apple instead.  I was quite pleased I returned when I did though so he wasn't offered any more apricots.

Now that DS is 9.5 months he doesn't cause a stir when he eats out, it only seems to amaze people when they are really teeny tiny.  People don't bat an eye now, I suppose he just looks like any (older) child eating so it's no big deal.  Khalam's mama, I know what you mean about high chair trays - they are often filthy.  It's the only time I use a disposable anti-bacterial wipe and I give the tray a good scrub before I let DS eat off it.  I bought one of those roll up place mats with suckers and a catch tray which can stick to restaurant tables but have yet to use it out.  It's good for at home at the dining table though.

Becky, I ignored any advised age on the packs of snacks (organix biscuits etc) as the age is a guidance for puree weaning LOs so doesn't really relate to BLW.  As many people start with rusks (which I wouldn't give to DS because of the sugar content) I see no problem at all with giving the biscuits.  The moon ones are chunky a bit like a rusk so harder to break through and kind of get gummed and sucked.  The other biscuits are thinner like a regular biscuit (I think they are a lot nicer than regular biscuits).  It's all your choice what you offer and when, I try to avoid the very sweet things even when I know there is no sugar in them (just fruit) as I don't want DS to get a sweet tooth and dried fruit is a lot sweeter than fresh.

Squeakers mum, in the UK egg whites are considered fine from 6 months (all egg must be fully cooked before 12 months), no whole nuts (choke hazard.  ground or flaked are considered ok) and no peanuts if there is known allergy in the family, no raw shellfish.  Limit how many servings of oily fish (4 per wk for boys, just 2 per week for girls).  I think that's all.  Almost everything is ok from 6 months which I think makes the whole process a lot easier to deal with.  Meat is fine too (but as with anything beware of added salt for example in ham).  My DS still doesn't eat a lot of meat but it's gradually gone up over the months.