Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9  (Read 53508 times)

Offline snowbird

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2011, 20:41:55 pm »
Lovely - thanks Khalam's mum. Must get the book. Is it best to get the general one or do you think it's worth getting the cookbook one? Xx

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2011, 20:53:48 pm »
I have the general. I haven't seen the cook book.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2011, 21:31:16 pm »
DS has been using a loaded fork on and off since 6 months too.  It started when he growled at me and slammed his hands down on his tray because I had a fork and he didn't!  Obviously I didn't really want to give a fork to a 6 month old, I thought he'd stab himself in the eye!!  I ended up giving him one of those small plastic forks that come with a fruit salad from the supermarket.  Still quite sharp so I was very very careful with it, but not as scary as a proper fork.  Forks sold as baby forks have such rounded prongs that they can't pick anything up.
He generally self-feeds with his fingers, but every now and then he has a phase of wanting the fork so I pre-load for him.  He's always had great skill with his hands though (passing from one hand to another very early and able to let go very early too).  Other things he was 'slow' to develop but his manual dexterity was always 'ahead'.
I think part of his success with feeding has been that I've been willing to go with what he wanted to do, even when that was feeding him porridge off a spoon whilst he gave me the bird mouth of expectation (in the early days).

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2011, 17:09:52 pm »
Today I gave Sophia a bit of pear. She sucked on it and pulled a face, didn't seem too impressed. But then this evening I gave her some carrot and broccoli and she had a really good chew on it! :D. I had to hand them to her and not sure if any went down but she certainly enjoyed trying ;D. Its very exciting!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2011, 11:32:01 am »
Yesterday I gave her broccoli and carrot again but the last 2 mornings she seems to have had a tummy ache. She also had a bit of toast in the morning on both days. I'm wondering if any of these could have caused it. I posted on the main board; solids causing tummy ache? Would appreciate if anyone could take a look. Thanks!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2011, 23:23:18 pm »
I think it's quite normal for there to be some tummy pain, sleep disruption and so on when introducing solids.  Hopefully it's just a short time whilst her digestive system gets to grips with the change in food.  If you think it gets worse or she's really in pain then maybe look for increased wind caused by certain foods etc  I think usually it calms down.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2011, 03:42:47 am »
Agree, if it seems minor. F had a bit of extra gas for the first week or two but it was just food in general, not one particular food. That's partly why I avoided giving dinner for the first few weeks, and only offered breakfast and lunch - more time for the little system to deal with the food before bedtime.
*Nuala*

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2011, 08:04:54 am »
I think it might have been the broccoli. I gave her food in the evenings as that was the time she could sit and eat with dd1, but yes I think I'll try breakfast and lunch only for a bit.

Offline snowbird

• LJ
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2011, 12:10:22 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm having similar issues with my LO and think it's probably food in general.  She has been waking up once in the night and crying.  I know that it is tummy ache/constipation as on a couple of occasions she's had a hard pellet-like poo and then been ok.  It is only once in the night usually and do think that's odd.  Trying to work out if it is just tummy ache/constipation or if there's something else going on.  The other night we had a few wakings - one when we were in bed at 3am.  She also wakes from naps crying on occasions.  So unlike her - my angel/textbook baby that normally just coos away to herself.

I've gone EASY on the solids and am questioning whether I should be BLW again!!!???  My hubby suggested we should puree/mush things up but I told him that it wouldn't make any difference as it's the food itself - what do you all think?

xx

Offline snowbird

• LJ
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2011, 12:14:19 pm »
Another question about foods the blw way...

I gave LJ grapes the other day - peeled and halved.  My hubby and I sat back and watched what she did with them but were not happy about these going in her mouth - they are still so big and LJ wasn't sure when she got one in either.  We ended up mushing them up a bit and feeding her little bits.  She enjoyed it! Not very baby led I know.  What are your thoughts?

I also gave her cucumber the other day and she sucked on it.  Is this enough? Suppose she's getting the water from it and the taste.

Have bought the lbw book from /amazon and waiting for delivery tomo.  Think I need to read it properly so I can be more confident if I'm going ro go down this route.

xxx

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2011, 14:19:07 pm »
I don't think it will make a difference if food is whole or pureed. What type of foods are you trying? Mine has been fine since I stopped broccoli. Have given carrot and sweet potato and some toast for bfast. I sometimes get a but concerned when she bites a piece of something off but she either chews and swallows or spits out again. If the grape is soft should be ok but if you're not comfortable with them maybe leave them out for now...

Offline snowbird

• LJ
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2011, 16:18:28 pm »
I've only tried broccoli twice - once I don't think she actually ate any - it was all over the floor! The second time we were out at the pub and I gave her some to munch on.  She had a good chew on it but I don't think it made things any worse!

LJ's tried toast with butter, carrots, slightly roasted sweet potato (so it doesn't fall apart when she picks it up), banana, rice cakes, broccoli, mashed potato, peas.  More recently grapes and cucumber (she was definitely upset before these) and today she's tried pear and a tiny bit of apple for the first time.

I think it's probably just solid food in general.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2011, 21:24:41 pm »
From that list banana apple and carrot are all Constipating so maybe lay off those. Are you giving water? Also wanted to ask how lo are taking water. I have been offering an open cup but he needs help. I've been giving warm water too to help with bm's. We have taken off her with food. He is not just breaking it all up and smearing it over the tray now. We have tried all sorts now. Dh gave him some cereal on a spoon today while i was out. I think i need to tell him more about blw. As far as the grapes go putting anything in her mouth is a big no no. She is more likely to manage it well if she puts it in. What about slicing the grapes?

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2011, 03:20:32 am »
I also gave her cucumber the other day and she sucked on it.  Is this enough? Suppose she's getting the water from it and the taste.

My LO has always loved cucumber, especially when teething. She used to just suck it and rub it against her gums, but now that she has a few teeth, she can scrape more of the flesh off the skin.

Agree about offering water with meals to try and fend off constipation. F has been on a sippy cup since before five months (first with EBF, then water), but is just now getting better at holding it herself. There's a thread on constipating foods if you're concerned, it applies just as much to BLW as puree feeding. I just give F prunes to chew on when needed (the nice soft kind), which usually seems to do the trick. She LOVES them - she got through five in one sitting once.
*Nuala*

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2011, 14:57:15 pm »
I'm having a hard time getting enough veges into Isaac. He sorta just plays with them and after a few bites is not interested.

Snowbird- Isaac was constipated A LOT when we first started solids. Slowly over time it got better. Now I can feed him anything without really worrying about it (within reason).
Justine