Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9  (Read 53517 times)

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 123
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9
« Reply #240 on: December 09, 2011, 21:36:14 pm »
Sorry don't know why I kept saying him. I know you have a DD.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #241 on: December 11, 2011, 09:56:57 am »
Beckygatt- you mentioned mess AGAIN!!! You are clearly more sensitive than I!!  ;) .. I think you'd probably be horrified at the amount of mess we create each meal!! but then we don't have another little cherub around so we can handle a little bit of extra chaos!!

I have these really long spoons (baby spoons) and i sometimes put stuff on the spoon and put it near Hamish's mouth and hold the other end.. he will grab the spoon (near the spoon end as that;s easier for him).. and put it into his mouth. I keep hold of the end so that it doesn't get thrown (Happy beckygatt?  ;D ) - that way he can move the spoon all around and can put it in and out of his mouth as he wishes.. And this is sometimes a way to eat some of the sloppier things....

I gave Hamish some mushroom cooked up in the microwave today.. with a little water.. the taste was there really well- but the texture was like leather.. or at least too tough for little gums to break up...He LOVED them and i had to hold the end of the strips of them as he was going to suck the whole thing in and i thought that he would have choked on them... (they were perfect choking size...). Any suggestions? I could puree them up.. and give them to him on the tray (yes.. messy  ::) ) but i thought that might make the flavour different...

Rach- Ha ha- yes i was SOOOO at the same point as you!! She'll get there- take some photos when she does!!!

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #242 on: December 11, 2011, 13:44:15 pm »
We have mess too but it's fine. Like you say, they'll be less messy by the time their little friends are feeding themselves and making a right mess lol!

Took LJ out to lunch with our friends last weekend and she ate Salmon, new potatoes and green beans. Loved the green beans. Ate some salmon which she didn't do the first time we gave it too her. Was a bit of mess on floor but I just cleaned it up - no worries!

She's eating but no necessarily loads. Some times more than others. Still being relaxed about it - she'll eat more in her own time!

Xxx

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #243 on: December 11, 2011, 17:12:07 pm »
Hi all,
I'm going to go and buy a splat mat tomorrow I think. We've moved into a brand new build house this year, and spent a lot of money on the kitchen flooring so would rather not have it stained / covered in mush all the time once BLW takes off!

Small steps here. I took some rice cakes and nibbly things for Sofia when we went out for lunch. I was really suprised that she could hold it to her mouth today, and happily gnawed on the rice cake, it broke up in her mouth and she swallowed some. She's also taken really well to a sippy cup... :)

She was not very keen on steamed carrot sticks earlier this week, but has enjoyed sucking on breadsticks and toast, and cucumber sticks (although the stringyness made her bring it back up...!)

I have an egg yolk allergy, so am going to hang back on eggs for a while. DS hasn't got the allergy so will probably be fine, but just need to be careful.

Rach. x

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #244 on: December 11, 2011, 20:53:13 pm »
Rach- YAY!! She sounds like she's well on the way!! I'd hang back if you have an allergy. We got an annabel karmel splash mat- was on special. My hot tip for cleaning it it to squirt a little detergent on it and put it i the shower... I think put mine outside on the line or over a couple of chairs to dry. Otherwise if you can get a heavy plastic one (more expensive) you might be able to mop it better... Anyway- she'll get neater... already hamish gets less on the floor!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #245 on: December 12, 2011, 12:50:24 pm »
I didn't used to be sensitive about mess, really!! That's DH's affect on me, he's a neat freak! ::). Also I'm a bit lazy I suppose ;). I don't mind the mess too much... The splash mat really helps.

Rach - sounds like she's doing well!

Snowbird - Sophia too sometimes eats more than others. Doing well though! We had lunch at family yesterday and she amazed everyone eating little tuna cakes and breadsticks all alone ;)

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #246 on: December 12, 2011, 15:21:08 pm »
Go Sophia! Xx

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #247 on: December 12, 2011, 19:39:56 pm »
Oh tuna cakes round Yummy. Can you pls post the recipe? B has been so grumpy lately. He is really off his food lately. I hope he continues soon.

Offline londonlady

« Reply #248 on: December 12, 2011, 20:23:07 pm »
KM - hope he's back to normal soon.

Beckyg that's great about the family lunch.

Not such a great day here.  I tried Sofia with some bread with cream cheese on it, which she sucked and liked, then obviously she got a bit off which she gagged on (fine), then vomited, then vomited some more, and was covered in it.

Even though it was a good hour after her milk feed she brought up a lot of milk, and the water she'd been drinking with her food.  I can take the gagging, and I can take the food mess, but this is the 2nd time she's had a massive throw up. It was everywhere... I'm sure it's normal but feel a bit despondent now and can see myself reaching for the blender if this keeps happening. Not because I want to rush her to eat, but because I really do not want to be cleaning up huge torrents of sick every meal time... We're only going to find the foods she can manage by trying, and that in itself brings the continued risk of more throw up! And it worries me about eating while out and about.  :(

Reassurance?? Thoughts?? :)

Rach. x

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #249 on: December 12, 2011, 20:39:34 pm »
KM: Hamish has been the same yesterday- wouldn't have a bar of the lovely lunch.. spread it everywhere!! But did have a munch on kiwifruit in my arms- ans a strawberry! Yummy!

Beckygatt: ha ha- just teasing!! I agree on the lazy bit- sometimes i've skipped a meal because i can't face the cleanup!

Rach: That;s annoying on the vomiting!! We havent had that much issue with it- but i might have been giving hamish softer stuff- foods that mush up really easily in his mouth... We really haven't eaten out and about much yet- my thought would be that as you don't need to give her full 3 meals every day for a couple of months that you won't need to feed her out and about for a little while- and by then you'll have all mastered things a bit more and thee won't be the gagging and chucking...And i'm ALWAYS amazed just how long after a milk feed Hamish can vomit up milk!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline londonlady

« Reply #250 on: December 12, 2011, 20:58:25 pm »
What kind of stuff are you giving him Katy? (aside from mango lol!)
Soft fruits aren't in season here, and she wasn't keen on banana... I think I need to get more organised as I just don't know what to give her each time lunch time comes around.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #251 on: December 12, 2011, 21:10:45 pm »
ha ha- yes.... a lot of mango!! I have been lucky with the soft fruits in season. But some of our favourites are butternut pumpkin cooked soft. He generally will mash this in his hands and then eat it. Sweet potato sticks- or mashed... Stewed apple (or microwaved apple... with a bit of water) ... Kiwi fruit segments with the skin on, puree peas, lots of avocado, well cooked brown rice- usually mashed in with something else. He also doesn't mind a banana and will give it a go. It doesn't seem like much now i list it!! I generally have thus far been going with foods that squish easily in his mouth- but they also tend to squish easily in his hands. I figure this is part of the learning.... I also did some little meatballs- big success the first night, but then i froze and reheated them and they were dry as!! Even DH said he had trouble swallowing them... so not sure what to do about that!! I don't think i can make a single meatball to suit his majesty every meal!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline londonlady

« Reply #252 on: December 12, 2011, 21:25:35 pm »
Lol!  I can just see you there every day, frantically rolling meat balls while he sits on his throne, crown on head, thumping his fist on the high chair tray!

We had one of Max's school friends round for dinner and play tonight. It made me realise what a magnificent eater my boy is, this kid wouldn't eat brown bread, only eats plain pork sausages and smiley faces for dinner (which I cooked for him under advice from his mum but wouldn't be something I normally give Max very often) he doesn't like sauce (even ketchup) didn't want yoghurt, won't eat veg, didn't like vanilla icecream (only choc chip...) I just could not deal with that...!   I didn't do BLW with Max, but sounds like this kid could have benefited from it!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #253 on: December 12, 2011, 21:42:23 pm »
KM - don't have a recipe I'm afraid as I didn't make them myself; DH's aunt did...

Rach - not sure what to say about vomiting. Maybe stick to simpler things for now? Like steamed fruit and veg? We do carrots and broccoli steamed, roast sweet potato chips, avocado, steamed apple... She didn't like banana. And if those are ok add other things slowly? I'm sure it will pass soon but it is a pain! And yes I hate vomit too! Worse than poo :P

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #254 on: December 12, 2011, 22:11:35 pm »
I hate it too.