Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10  (Read 63308 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« Reply #375 on: April 02, 2012, 11:03:25 am »
yes- true- no 5 point harness... Us on the other hand with my chilled boy- we actually don't even use the harness!! It hasn't occurred to him to even try to stand!! I know- naughty mummy- i should so use it...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #376 on: April 02, 2012, 14:43:04 pm »
I was going to offer her a set of reigns we had been given for when we had Max (but never used - still in the box 5 yrs on!!) Wondered if she could fashion some kind of more efficient harness from them to keep the little Houdini in his seat!!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #377 on: April 02, 2012, 15:46:18 pm »
Wasn't there a recall on some of those recently? :-\

We have a fisher price travel booster thing that attaches to a normal chair and it's fab. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002VZ21E/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details
*** Amanda ***

Offline lidiayy

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #378 on: April 02, 2012, 16:45:44 pm »
Hello everyone. I am joining the party as DD will be 6 mo in a couple of days. We're going to see the doc for her monthly check up and he'll probably recommend to start with solids.
BLW is not popular here so I am expecting him to recommend the same as he did for DD1, who was spoon fed. Idk also how I am going to deal with BLW and daycare, I think we'll have to do BLW only on weekends and at the end of the day, when I am with DD2.
I am excited to start with solids as some days ago she was staring at her sister eating pear and was licking her lips wanting to try some. I put some on my finger and let her taste... I am sure she wants to eat what big people are eating!
It's so much fun to see them grow, I love babies. ;)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #379 on: April 02, 2012, 18:35:04 pm »
Welcome lidia. Would day care not be doing some finger foods with the older LOs anyway? It may be worth asking them. Surely it's easier for them if the LOs feed themselves.

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #380 on: April 02, 2012, 18:42:53 pm »
*Waves* Hi Lidia!

We seem to have started a bit. Audrey is definitely very keen. She is always a bit grizzly at teatime so today instead of listening to her whine we put her in her bumbo on the table and as she was lunging for everyone's plates again I put a little quarter of a baked potato, and a broccoli spear, and a couple of green beans on her tray. She had a really good time squishing and tasting them. I don't think anything went down but she was having a lovely time, and every time she lost the broccoli and I handed it back to her she was really excited. She had a tiny taste of pork too. Definitely got to get a highchair this week!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #381 on: April 02, 2012, 18:53:39 pm »
Wasn't there a recall on some of those recently?
There was a recall on a very specific batch of the antilop, the info is in Hogg watch.  I would suggest anyone getting an antilop second hand to check out the recall.  Every antilop has a factory and batch number moulded into the underside of the chair, impossible to remove or change it so you can be sure of what you are checking.  If I remember correctly the belts had a fault on that batch.

My DS also has zero thoughts of climbing out of his chair, he is too interested in food to think of acrobatics.
But for anyone worried about it, it is possible to use the five point harness from regular reigns (these usually have detachable 'lead' for walking, remove that and it becomes a five point harness for a range of other 'stuff') or to buy a five point harness without the walker reigns part.
If the belt on the antilop is fastened and the length reduced to minimal (underside of the chair) this creates an anchor point behind baby to clip on the five point harness.  The 5 point fastens behind baby and they'd have to be a serious Houdini to get out of it.

The baby dan or tripp trap can be used without the front wooden section to create more space for chunky monkeys and again a 5 point harness can be used if the lap belt is either too tight or considered inadequate for the escape artists.

Amanda - that fisher price looks nice.  Looks quite easy to clean too although I expect in the early days a lot of mess goes on the dining chair too.  What I like though is that you can use it on the floor as a little low down table, that's neat.  I've always wondered why the antilop doesn't have that feature considering the legs detach.

lidiayy - welcome.  how exciting that you'll be starting soon :)

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #382 on: April 02, 2012, 20:17:46 pm »
Yes, it's lovely and really handy to take out and about as well.  Yes, some goes on the dining chair, but some would go on the floor anyway if you had a traditional highchair and I just give the chair a quick wipe when I wipe the highchair bit.

Beginning to think that D doesn't like pasta now.  She's previously eaten fusilli with few issues, but any other shape is just refused and she pulls a funny face.  Urgh.
*** Amanda ***

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #383 on: April 02, 2012, 21:55:25 pm »
My friend has the fisher price one and it suited well for her second- I think our dining chairs aren't sturdy enoug (they are REALLY crappo- el cheapo flat pack things from a place called 'fantastic furniture- the package deal kings'!!).

The recall on the Antilop was only around the belt fastening POSsIBLY coming undone- and you called up and got sent a new one- so if you are getting one i'd just check that- BUT i'd say it's not a massive issue anyway... They should send you one no problem.

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #384 on: April 03, 2012, 08:36:11 am »
Can you not order the chair from IKEA online Anna?

Colby likes mushrooms and scrambled egg spread on toast apparently.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #385 on: April 03, 2012, 11:24:51 am »
We have the fisher price seat too - it's great. We fit it on to a plain wooden high chair, no tray (or harness), so when she's a bit bigger we'll just have her in that at the table. It is so handy for taking out and traveling, and we do use it on the ground as a low chair occasionally too.

Mushrooms have been one of the discoveries of the week for F. I've offered them plenty of times before and she wasn't terribly interested, but this week she has been devouring them. Seaweed was the other discovery - she couldn't get enough of it. Which is great, as it's highly nutritious and can be prepared in less time than it took me to type this post. :)
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #386 on: April 03, 2012, 11:30:57 am »
How do you prepare seaweed? We really only have it as nori rolls and sheets...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #387 on: April 03, 2012, 12:12:04 pm »
Put into boiling water or stock. Simmer for a minute. Remove (or add seasonings and anything else you want and serve as soup). We were having seaweed soup made with chicken stock, and I just lifted out the seaweed for F.
*Nuala*

Offline brookmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #388 on: April 03, 2012, 14:49:03 pm »
whats on the menu at your house today?

Breakfast was steamed apples with cinnamon, toast fingers with cream cheese.
Lunch: still undecided - may be leftover chicken pattie and cucumber
Dinner: turkey, steamed asparagus, rice with tomatoes.

my LO is 8.5 months, still not too sure how much is actually going in!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 14:54:32 pm by brookmom »

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #389 on: April 03, 2012, 15:27:05 pm »
This morning as I said we had scrambled egg on toast then lunch was cream crackers and cheese and dinner will likely be steamed carrots, minced beef in tomato and basil with spaghetti and perhaps some strawberries for dessert.

I often think nothing is going in and then I get a nappy full that tells me otherwise!

I love that crispy seaweed you get at Chinese restaurants but not sure if that really is seaweed as I know the prepared stuff I have seen in the supermarket here is not.