Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11  (Read 86571 times)

Offline Mum to F&A

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2012, 21:13:41 pm »
Hi everyone :)
 Thought I'd join this thread if that's ok?

So, DS2 is 6-1/2months and we started with BLW 5weeks ago as he stole chips from my plate! At the time he was just sitting up, but now he's really strong he's eating almost anything!  :D

Last night was mashed potato which he just scooped up and went everywhere.  ::) Needed rugs everywhere for that one as what he dropped seemed to miss the splash mat! And tonight he very happily tucked into beef stew and rice! Scoffed the lot! 

dburseth

« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2012, 21:40:31 pm »
Hi rebecca :) Sounds like you 2 are off to a great start!

Offline cecelia_at_home

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2012, 09:40:54 am »
Thanks Cam's Mom! At lunch yesterday he ate a bit of lintel stew and be had a bit of rice last night. I think the idea of going back to softer foods will work until I see the HV. It will be messy!

Offline lil_ginge

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Psalm 139:13! :)
    • Supporting Christian Unions in Sixth Forms and FE Colleges - because 16-19s are fab! :)
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2012, 13:26:58 pm »
Thanks for the advice with the hard poos!

I have some questions:
Numero uno is - i dont want Autumn to only experience dry stuff! however our flat is so small that the living rm/dining rm would be coated if she was for fling spaghetti bolognese into the air. Do u think a pasta bake could b more helpful for her to pick up and still bit saucy?! Anyone have any recipes!?

Numero dos... She seems to want more than what i give her sometimes! Se is 7 months nxt wk but i didnt want to rock the boat with milk or over load her gut! Yet if she is happy downing stuff i know this is called 'baby led weaning!' Should i just go with what she sseems happy to cope with?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 13:28:43 pm by lil_ginge »
* Claire *

Offline lil_ginge

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • Supporting Christian Unions in Sixth Forms and FE Colleges - because 16-19s are fab! :)
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2012, 13:30:15 pm »
P.s. Hope Hv is helpful Cecelia
* Claire *

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2012, 13:34:11 pm »
Ok0 i assume you are possibly now writing more on that post lil-ginge as it seems to stop abruptly (or i may be tired). But hamish is often like that!! Basically the advice tends to be 'offer the LO food till they stop eating'- but some days with hamish i feel that we would LITERALLY have no food left in the house if we did that !! (except for the broccoli- there'd still be plenty of broccoli)... SO i generally give hamish a few 'courses' to a meal and leave him at that- so i might give him some meat/meatball etc, vegies, some cheese or somthing and then fruit to finish. If he eats it all then great- but i figure there has to be a line!! ALSO- keep in mind that probably a lot is still going onto the floor- it might be a fair portion. So what you are serving out is not actually all getting into her...

Pasta bake sounds good! i don't have a recipe... i actually havent made one for hamish yet...

Great job cecelia at home on the rice and such...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline lil_ginge

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2012, 17:24:04 pm »
Amayzie - with a silly phone and chubby thumbs writing posts are doomed! I accidentally hit 'post' when i don't want too. Usually because i am trying to correct some predictive dictionary word that inserts itsslf when I am trying to write something else! Sorry!

Thanks thats helpful. Autumn and Hamish sound like 2 peas in a pod then! Did he start getting frustrated and bored on bf/bottle?!

I bodged a courgette, pepper and chicken pasta bake with cheesy white sauce. Yaaaaaaaaaaay she loved it! Though I am not sure she ate any pasta lol! Ironic...
* Claire *

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2012, 22:18:32 pm »
Lil ginge, perhaps you could try some rigatoni (the medium sized pasta tubes) and stuff some mince etc. in them. You can then give it as dry finger food but it has a little saucy filling.

We had a successful day BLW-wise today. He refused breakfast as always but for lunch ate a big splat of spaggheti with tuna, mayo and sweetcorn. And 4 sticks of cucumber and some black grape. Then after dinner he ate a huge wedge of watermelon. Typical that his favourite foods seem to be cucumber and watermelon since both probably contain less calories than he expends eating them (he gets very excited). Huh! How will I ever fill this boy up?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2012, 23:43:41 pm »
HA HA!! Hamish LOVES watermelon too! I'll be jealous of all of you ladies enjoying your summer fruits soon as we head into the winter ones.. boring!

Just to give anyone who has a LO who is refusing some... well... comraderie?- Hamish threw ALL of his cheese on toast off the high chair at lunch yesterday- it's my FAVOURITE food- but apparently not Hamish's!! SO no lunch- but this was backed up by eating all of his pasta and mince sauce, plus some of daddy's!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2012, 00:56:50 am »
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2012, 09:25:23 am »
Throwing food is Sofia's latest favourite thing to do... I find it pretty annoying, so after we've had a couple of throws and I figure she's finished actually eating I clean up pretty swiftly!

Think I'm going to remake some turkey sliders or meatballs today (after the cats ate them off the counter when I made them the other day... the cats are lucky I'm not making cat burgers!)

R. x

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2012, 09:28:53 am »
LOL- cat burgers!!

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2012, 10:00:53 am »
Oh no Rach. I would have been so peeved.

Colby actually ate some more watermelon for breakfast this morning.

We get a lot of throwing too. I don't mind so much at the end of the.meal, like you Rach I just clean up, but I hate it when he throws everything and doesn't even try one bite. If that happens, like he throws the chicken, carrot and pasta all one by one away, would you guys keep offering different things? Or just accept he isn't eating solids for that meal.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2012, 10:29:08 am »
I offer it a couple of times- as in i pick it back up off the floor (it's pretty clean)- and offer it- I've a few times offered more and more options- looking for the 'perfect' food.. so now i pretty much decide that lunch is over. I might offer the other part to the meal i was going to anyway- like the other day when all of the grilled cheese hit the floor he still ate his mandarin- but it didn't make another sandwich.. i figure he'll catch up later...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Mum to F&A

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2012, 12:41:33 pm »
I'm just wondering how many people boil water before giving it to their LO's? I've been using water from the kettle when I give DS2 his water as it's left over from making up his bottle's bit DH thinks it's unneccesary.

I do have to say that DS2 eats the floor  ::) and just about everything else, whcih I'm sure is probably worse that the water from the tap?!!