Author Topic: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 6  (Read 67952 times)

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition cont'd pt 6
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2013, 13:00:46 pm »
What is it with grandparents or is it just me?? They were kind enough to mind R for 2 days whilst I did some work on our house in preparation for moving but decided to just do whatever they want with his nap and ignore our routine! Yesterday he slept a total of 20 mins am and 40 mins pm and then today after WU at 6am they finally got him to sleep at 1.30 ad he kept crying, is it any wonder the poor boy must be OT but no it's just me being too controlling and I need to go with the flow more he's been so happy and has eaten all His meals really well - apparently!!

Sorry for the rant its just so annoying, you'd think they knew my child better than me!

Rant over  >:(

Offline aly_mac

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2013, 09:13:34 am »
I'm looking for some guidance to help get my DD fully rested before a major upheaval (24hr plane travel and -8hr time difference) in about two weeks  :(

DD is 13 months and we started the 2-1 transition about two weeks ago. She was doing a 15 min capped nap in the am and then needing 3hrs+ A time to get a decent second nap. Day was getting too long so we decided to take the plunge.

We are having issues with EW and had a NW for the first time last night. I think she may be teething too. I know she is OT. Because I am never totally sure when she has woken for the day I was doing set nap at 1130 which gave me naps varying from 00:45 to 02:07. On one day she went down at noon and napped for 02:53! So I thought maybe 1200 was the way forward. Unfortunately that great nap was a one off and has not been repeated (most naps are 01:20/01:30). I have done the 15 min am catnap a couple of times recently (Tues, Fri) because she was tired. My issue with this though is that bedtime gets pushed back and she actually loses sleep.

I understand that I should be trying to keep to a 13 hour day if she naps well and 12.5 if she does not, but this is just not possible when she wakes at 0530! Our other prob is that she is not used to a long A before bedtime - 4 hours max. I thought this might have been part of our problem (although she wasn't fighting bedtime) so started trying to push this out. Think that was a mistake as too much all at once.

Yesterday
0530 awake
0700 get up/BF
0840 breakfast
0937-0952 nap in car
1210 lunch
1240 BF
1324-1515 asleep (in bed 1300)
1700 dinner
1830 bath
1845 BF
1923 asleep (in bed 1910)
2230 BF
2300 in bed
0320-0420 NW

Today
0610 awake (woke earlier but went back to sleep)
0700 get up/BF
0745 breakfast
1045 lunch
1100 BF
1145-1320 asleep (in bed 1130)
1345 snack
1630 dinner
1705 bath
1720 BF
1755 asleep (in bed 1742)

Where to from here??
[sorry this is so long]

Offline Jessleigh

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • www.burningonebooks.com
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2013, 20:22:49 pm »
Been on here so many times! Haha! Kept thinking she was ready but kept going back to 1 nap plus CN just to get through the day.

Now DD is 20months! Still so hard to keep her up til 11:30.

It's been 4 days of set 11:30 naps. Best nap was 1.5 hrs. I resettled her after one hour. Other naps have been as short as 40 to 1hr 15. How long does it take for them to extend?

Making it it BT is rough. I feel so bad.

Loving every day doing the most important job in the world!

Offline Joy-filled

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2013, 00:35:39 am »
Believe it or not but my best friend's son was still taking 2 naps at 2.5 and slept 12 hrs at night! Some LOs just transition later I guess!
**Char**

<a href="http://lilypie.com/">

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2013, 03:31:23 am »
Hi all
Looking to get some advice.
Our lohas just turned one and for last 2 months we've been stuck in the 2-1 transition.
When ds started refusing pm nap repeatedly we tried long am and short pm but didnt work. We then tried capped am and long pm which seemed to be better. We then got ew so was advised to cap morn nap to 30mins which we did. Thats when it all went wrong. We had grumpy boy between naps and ew so we bit the bullet and changed to one nap. Before he started the transition he was able to stay awake until 11am so i set nap at 11.15 which has worked a treat. He has a good 3hr nap and can manage until 7pm bt. Our days are really good. He goes to bed fine but has been ew and not going back to sleep. It started at 5.30 and has got earlier and earlier. Yesterday he was awake at 3.30 am and this morning it was 2.30. He doesnt cry. He just lays chatting and wriggling around until 6/6.30. He shows no signs of ot and only gets sleepy about 11am ish even with ew. We've managed to cancel out teething, being to cold and hunger. Was told that if he was ot he would be waking before midnight.
Am really at my wits end. When he wakes i cant get back to sleep either so am very tired mummy and still having to go to work.

Offline jcsmom

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • We're in Toronto, Canada
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2013, 13:15:34 pm »
pinkladyangel, if I were you I would push that nap onward past noon and cap it at 2-2.5 hours. You don't want to get stuck an 11 am nap as this is what is probably encouraging the EWU. I wish my DD would nap for 3 hours!

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2013, 14:28:19 pm »
Thanks for replying.
My aim was to push nap forward but the ew were making it difficult. Yesterday i bit the bullet and just did it by 15 mins so he was asleep by 12. We got a 2 hr nap and did 7.15 bt. The only thing is todays nap was only 1hr 40. He woke up happy but do i need to do early bt or stick to set bt which is 7/7.15?
Forgot to say he woke at 5 this morning but eent back off at 6 then woke at 6.50.

Offline Joy-filled

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2013, 18:04:53 pm »
If it was me I'd be quite pleased with a 1 hr 40 min nap and I'd stick with regular BT but that's only because my DS is a terrible napper.  Honestly, 1 hr 40 min is not a horrible nap, although I'm sure it seems like it since he's been doing such huge naps for you.  Just my 2 cents though!

Also, hugs to you about the lost sleep.  I'm also very poor at going back to sleep when my DS wakes up at night and it just wears on you.  I hope the NWs sort out for you soon.
**Char**

<a href="http://lilypie.com/">

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2013, 23:55:04 pm »
Just joining this board now... O is 13.5 months old and I've been slowly transitioning him to 1 nap a day. I've been capping his AM nap at 30 mins, and for the past two days since he's slept til 7am, I jumped in and started 1 nap a day. A few problems:
1) He wakes up just after an hour, and I've nursed him after this wake up to get him to sleep another 45ish minutes
2) He has only been getting 2 hours or just under for naps, which makes him super tired and he's in bed by 6:15 both nights - and with the time change, this will make things even worse.
Our EASY looks like this (past 2 days anyways)
7am wake up (nursed him around 5am and 6am - need to work on moving those to wake up but I'm just too tired to fight this right now!)
8am breakfast
11am lunch
12-2pm nap
2pm milk and snack
5pm dinner
6:15 bed time

How do I go about this with the time change approaching? He's already going to bed 45 minutes earlier than normal because of the lost day time sleep :(

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2013, 19:15:03 pm »
How you going MB? What's your Los first A ATM
We we're do ing so we'll on 1 nap but the last week has been rubbish! We're getting lots of mid nap waking, shorter naps and problems settling. SA and teeth aren't helping
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2013, 01:32:09 am »
Sara - sorry to hear LO isn't napping as well. We are all over the map right now with naps. Because of the time change, I ended up just going back to two naps a day, each one is usually just over an hour, but sometimes he wakes up after 30-45 minutes for his morning one. Anyways, today we were out and he had a 40 minute nap in the car from 9:30-10:10 (7am wake up). Then I put him down at 12:30, he slept til 2, I then nursed him and he went back down for another hour!
So I really don't know what to do. There are days where his am nap is short just because we are out or at someone else's house, and but many times his pm nap will be broken if it's long.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2013, 07:53:24 am »
Today I kind of did what you did today with his arvo nap (but ethos was for ts one nap) I pd at 11 and he woke at 12.25 ::) and I got him back to sleep with a touch of APOP and he slept till 2 :o

BT was then a battle though and I can't work out if it's SA or he was UT .. I tried from 7 and he didn't settle till 7.30 and I had to shh a little and put my hand on his back. Have you had any SA?
***Sara***

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2013, 18:15:31 pm »
I haven't had any SA. He slept fine when I put him down at 7 last night, but then woke up at 6am and was exhausted this morning.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2013, 22:25:52 pm »
Do you think teeth are making him tired? Or has he just started walking? We had sttn (phew) up at 7.10 so I was going to go for 4.5-4hrs45 A and hope for 1.5+ nap!

When you do. 1 nap what is your A to BT?
***Sara***

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2013, 01:06:24 am »
Well, today he slept for 15 minutes in the car at 11:30. Normally after a quick cat nap he's good to go for a little while but he was really unhappy. So I put him straight to bed, he woke up every half hour and by 1pm he was up. I put him down at 6 this evening and he woke up at 6:45 just screaming. I gave him advil and nursed him again (he hardly nursed before bed time as he was so tired). We'll see what tonight brings!
I'm thinking it's teeth. When I do one nap he's usually up by 2 and in bed by 6:30, so 4.5 hours