Author Topic: Sleep and EASY support for twins and multiples  (Read 63183 times)

Offline Katejk

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Sleep and EASY support for twins and multiples
« Reply #240 on: January 16, 2015, 15:24:48 pm »
Hello! Could do with some advice please? My 8 month twins are slowly starting to get to a 2 nap day! I hate the 3rd nap! 😛 if they wake up at 2 after a 1hr 30 nap would you put them down for a cat nap? If not what time would you put them to bed? Ours days currently look like this...

WU 6ish (earlier if they had 3rd nap day before)
Nap 9.15/30 30 mins
LTN 12.15/30 1hr 30 - 2hrs
Cat nap 4.30 10 mins
Bed 6.30

On days they don't cat nap I put to bed at 5.30 ish and they still sleep till 6 which is great.

Offline babybarr

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #241 on: January 16, 2015, 16:25:13 pm »
Mine became mobile within days of each other. They do everything within about 2 days. H usually first then j copies.

Kate I wouldn't bother with catnap if they sleep well at night!

We're going to be on no nap before I know it!
LAURA xx

Offline kayra

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
« Reply #242 on: January 16, 2015, 18:03:21 pm »
2 naps are hard when one of the naps is so short, do you think that morning one is ut or ot? We"re doing 3hr at the moment, might it be worth trying that to see if they'll do a better nap? Or if you feel that's too short try a tad longer? That way you could start the afternoon nap closer to 1:30-2 meaning you can get to a better bedtime.

No nap Laura?? Seems so early for that! Ds1 napped till he was 3.5!

Dd doesn't look anywhere near moving, interesting about your boys Laura, I'd heard that about identical twins but not fraternal ones.

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline Katejk

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #243 on: January 16, 2015, 19:24:51 pm »
What is the a time you have for yours if they have a long mn?

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #244 on: January 16, 2015, 21:20:27 pm »
I just keep the, on 3 hrs, so right now we're doing (assuming wake up is 7)
Nap 10-11:30 (today was 11:20)
Food, play etc
Nap 2:30-4 (today was 2:20, dd didn't settke till 2:40 so she went till 4:10)
A
Bt 7

If they have a short morning nap I'll do the 2nd nap earlier but as close to 2 as possible so that wake up is as late as possible b/c I don't like doing very early bedtime.
Dd is generally lower on A times than ds but b/c ds is crawling now he's really ready for his sleep!

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline DorothyGale

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #245 on: January 17, 2015, 00:55:32 am »
We've been doing EASY for a month now, and I'm still having to wake at least one boy up in the morning. My ideal wake up time is 7 am, but I often let one sleep until 7:30 so I can have time to feed and have some one on one time before the madness starts.

It just feels so wrong to wake a sleeping baby, and I'm tempted to just see how long they will sleep.

We're still getting a lot o short naps during the day, they go down for a third nap at 4 pm and I usually have to wake them from that one too. Wake up at 5:30, then 7:30 is bedtime.

Usually our day is something like:

7/7:30 Wake up (forced)
8:30 Eat
9 am Sleep
9:45 Wake up
11:30 Eat
12 pm Sleep
1:30 pm wake up
3:30 pm Eat
4 pm sleep
5:30 pm Wake Up (forced)
6 pm Eat
7 to 7:30 pm bedtime
Night feedings around 12 and 5

The eating just isn't syncing up with waking up, I'm going to try reducing the amount we feed them at the second night feeding but for now I'm just rolling with it. They won't eat unless they are hungry so "topping up" doesn't work.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #246 on: January 17, 2015, 05:25:03 am »
Your day is fairly typical of their age Dorothy.. I have 5.5 month old identical girls (adjusted age is 4.5 months though).. mime don't accept top-up feeds well either...

Our day:
Night feed is between 4-530am right now and they go right back to sleep
Wake up 730/8am (I never wake from night sleep except for night feed for my own sanity, thankfully, they do both eat whenever one chooses the time!)
Bottle 9am
Nap 930-1015am (I don't wake, they just always do a short nap here regardless of A time so I have left it)
Bottle 1215pm
Nap 1230-230/3pm (I don't wake)
Bottle 3/330pm
Nap 430-515pm (I don't wake unless they hit 530pm)
Bottle 7pm
Bedtime by 730pm.

I didn't really create this day at all.. I have followed their lead to some extent.  I find that forcing a baby into a routine causes more issues in most cases.  I just keep a mind to how long they have been up and don't feed to sleep except bedtime if it happens (my first always fed to sleep at bedtime and it never became a prop).  I do have a 4 yr to manage during the day so this routine stays the same but the times do shift some days.  I am super thankful that these are some very angel-minded babies!

As for us, the move to 2 naps backfired in epic proportions!  Two days and it all unraveled!  Trouble settling, fitful sleep and the nights, oh my god, the nights.  I stopped counting how many times I was up when I got to 10 and it was only 11pm!  The debauchery continued until they got up at 715 this morning.. back to 3 naps and today was much smoother!  So I will cap second nap to preserve CN for now if I need to!

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #247 on: January 17, 2015, 08:49:36 am »
Yikes Kara, yes stick to 3 naps for now, no hurry for 2 naps it's only easier when it actually is easier ;)
Dorothy are yours identical? I hate waking as well and only will if I really feel they've slept too late, I haven't really woken one to be in sync with the other,I'm just can't bring myself to doing it when I don't know if they will sleep properly the next time round. But bt is always at the same time and wake up for the day is generally not too far from eachother. Like you I find that dealing with feeds one at a time is actually easier.

Angel, April 2011

Offline DorothyGale

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #248 on: January 18, 2015, 18:14:57 pm »
Kara - yes, sounds like we're doing about the same thing. My boys are very close in age to your girls, they just hit 5 months but are just over 4 months adjusted (born at 37.5)

Kayra - no, they are fraternal. I think Twin B needs a bit more sleep than Twin A. Or it might just be that Twin B cries when he is tired, while Twin A just gets wired. A got really overtired yesterday and it took him forever to get to sleep at bedtime. He had his eyes closed tight but was just kind of moaning to himself and frantically sucking his fingers for over an hour. We finally took pity on him and put him in the swing, and DH sang to him until he was out. I wish they would take a soother, but they hate it.

We are signed up for a baby sign language class starting in February, but I don't know how we're going to do it since it's at 1 pm and they usually go down for a nap around 12 or 12:30. There's an 11:30 class but I think that's even worse.

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #249 on: January 18, 2015, 18:45:25 pm »
It's so har when they're overtired, sounds like you did the right thing.
Yes trying to go to events around nap times is so hard :( I just look up signs on YouTube and do them with the babies, tho I'm sure it's more fun with a class.

With ds being more mobile than dd were getting various times when he ends up on her, sucking her head ( I call it a slobber attack, poor thing ends up quite wet if I don't happen to be in the room at the time!), or 'stroking' her face. There's no malice of course and it's kind of funny but dd really needs to get moving ;) it's so much fun to watch them interact though. The other day ds was drumming his fingers on his lips doing that blblrbb sort of sound and dd was giggling away at him, it was so sweet! :)

Angel, April 2011

Offline babybarr

« Reply #250 on: January 20, 2015, 21:35:45 pm »
No nap Laura?? Seems so early for that! Ds1 napped till he was 3.5!
DS1 stopped napping about 2.5yrs but these two have been on one nap solidly from before 12mths.  Were switching between 1 and 2 at 9mths...

interesting about your boys Laura, I'd heard that about identical twins but not fraternal ones.
I know it's weird.  What's more strange though is that when they had their feet measured their right feet were both 4.5G and their left feet 5G !!  Everyone who sees them thinks they're identical but my great aunties are fraternal twins... however people couldn't tell them apart either when they were small.
LAURA xx

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2015, 09:31:32 am »
How interesting, I guess there are families where siblings which are years apart strongly resemble eachother so with twins you realise the likeness even more b/ they're the same age. Are they very similar to how O looked as a baby? Everyone thinks that ds2 is the spitting image of ds1 and there is a likeness but they are very different as well.

Angel, April 2011

Offline babybarr

« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2015, 22:25:44 pm »
They're v similar to how o looked and looks now really. J is quite similar to o as a baby but h is a new one to me!
LAURA xx

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #253 on: January 24, 2015, 04:16:14 am »
Here is a funny one - mine are identical and I find that Charlotte (B) is very much like DD1, where as Sophia (A) is her own person.  I even think Charlotte looks more like Alexandra as a baby.. yet, they *should* both be just like her if that was the case!

We are happily on 3 naps again - harmony restored for now ::)  Until it all falls apart again!  I only had to wake from second nap for two days and now they do it on their own :)  Smart babies!

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #254 on: January 24, 2015, 06:47:18 am »
How funny Kara, it would seem like just when you can make a generalization one baby comes along and says, erm actually no... :P
You do have clever babies there, glad your routine is back on track for the time being. Ours of course is out of whack again, but not too awful so not complaining. I see, to get the morning nap right-ish, but they really fuss at the pm one and I can't figure out whether it's ot or ut, going to try the ut theory and but gem down later today... Dd has started shifting herself around a bit more, I guess she's been watching ds ;)

Angel, April 2011