Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27  (Read 64996 times)

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
    • DIY Home Health Physical Therapy
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2014, 22:22:28 pm »
BusterB...

The time changes are rough.  We just pushed our LO 30 minutes for two night prior to the time change and he seemed to default right through with only a slight hick up.  So, instead of BT at 8, we moved it to 8:30 and let him sleep till 7:30 (if he wanted) instead of getting him up at 7.  This made the transition for the real deal easier.

Hope that helps!
With God all things are possible!

Offline Aromy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2014, 17:41:42 pm »
The 2-1 is driving me insane. With everything changing so fast and teething, we've had a few crazy nights. My 11mo hasn't slept through her morning nap in a few days, and now she is refusing her cat nap even when she's yawning and rubbing her eyes. It's almost impossible to get her down. I just stretched her A time to 4hr30 last week, is it possible I already have to push it again? How is everyone else doing?

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
    • DIY Home Health Physical Therapy
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2014, 17:50:59 pm »
Hi Aromy... I remember wondering why I had to be constantly pushing A times so quickly... seemed a matter of only days when I would need to push it again, but alas, it was really several weeks to a month or so when I look back at my notes.  I remember the days... not looking for ward to our 18 month regression and canines coming in, but our little one is so much more talkative etc now and I know his needs better now...

Can you put your little one in the car for a nap - even just to catch her up on sleep?  That is always my default but we live on a gravel road with a nice and it's rarely traveled so I can drive about 2 mph and go about 3 miles over the course of an hour and a half nap for my little guy... I feel isolated but then again, I feel lucky and thankful for the gravel road loop. :)

Hugs to you and keep us posted.
With God all things are possible!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2014, 18:42:03 pm »
Hello, I am marking my presence here. LO is almost 10mo. Routine roughly looks like that:
7am wakeup
11:20/11:30 nap for 1,5h
Around 4pm CN for up to 30min, I wake at 30min mark or around 4:30/4:45
7pm BT
It seems that Frank is high A times child but average/low sleep needs. Overall sleeping 14h/24h.

Our first nap is in the nursery. Anything less than 4:20/4:30 A and he will nap shorter, more than 5h he will get OT. I could push him right now to 11:30/11:45 and would get longer nap but there is a risk of OT then and with waking from looong nap after 1pm really leaves little time to squize in a second one.
My problem is also that I am working and APOPing a nap in the afternoon maybe be a problem as I not always am back from work to do it and nursery of course won't do it:).

Looking forward to hear how your 2/1 transition looked like especially those who had their kiddos in the nursery:).
~Marta

Offline Aromy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2015, 12:40:29 pm »
She just turned 1yo, and I think we've made it to 1 nap! We've been having just 1 for a while with a 5-6hr A-time. But my LO rarely sleeps 2 hours, usually 1hr30-1hr50, unless she's in the pram. If she doesn't take a full nap, we just give her bedtime 15 mins earlier.

My LO is very active, which is why she probably transitioned so fast. I'm so happy to be here! Still the occasional night waking, but a lot less now.

Here are some things I've learned:
- Big jumps in A time might happen, and when they do, go with it.
- Be flexible with meals. We're on one nap now, but sometimes her nap time is around 12. If I try to feed her too much before then she gets very fussy. So we've been giving her a snack before her nap, and then something more substantial afterward.
- If you can't do a catnap or early bedtime, keep all night activity very low-key. For us it means no videos or music after 6.
- When I was having a hard time guessing her A-time, after a restful night and an active morning, I'd take her for a walk in the pram. Then I'd observe around what time she put herself to sleep. This would give me a good estimate.

I know it'll take a while for things to smooth out (for us too), but they're so much better than they were a month ago. Good luck everyone!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2015, 09:42:11 am »
Checking in.....if anyone is here?  We are deep into 2-1 I think with B who is a week off 9 months.  Have always struggled to get consistency with him, he's a very different sleeper from his sister who would pull off rubbish naps but long nights.  He prefers his naps I think, 11.5h is a long night for him, 11h is standard.  But with a toddler and other commitments we've been a bit limited by what changes we can make to his routine.  He currently wakes 5.30-6 (yuck), has a capped 20 mins nap around 9.20/30 and then a long nap at 1pm. Up to 2h on a good day, bad day may be closer to 1h10-15.  BT 6/6.30 depending on the nap.  We seem to be in a cycle of early WU, tired cranky day but long nap in afternoon, reasonable night, better mood but then shorter nap in afternoon, early bed, ok night but then tired the next day etc etc.  I just can't decide if he's permanently OT and just crashes out when exhausted, or he's LSN and I'm constantly trying to make him sleep more than he needs!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2015, 10:16:56 am »
Haha Catherine, how the time flies!
F is still in 2:1 however most days on one nap. We always work on 12h+ days as we have set WU/BT of 7am/7pm.

He can be totally fine on 1:30 nap but the next day he will do 1:40 and 20min catnap and still looks tired. Gosh I tought it would be easier. We did first one nap day when he was 10mo and he is 12mo right now and still not able to do full week on 1 nap. But I guess nursery is making a difference and also this awful wonder week which messes with his A times.
Is B going to nursery anytime soon?
~Marta

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2015, 10:48:03 am »
Hi everyone. Joining the bandwagon on here. We started on this transition somewhere around 7 months. For the past month and a half, we have been consistently doing 1 nap + CN with bedtime 1.5 hrs later. Till recently, this has worked great and she has been doing nearly 13 hour nights. However, her A times have jumped again. Right now we are at 4 hours and naps have dropped to 1.15- 1.30. I'm pretty sure that once we finish leap 6 of the wonder weeks, I will need to push A again. Even with 4 hours A, first nap is ending by 1 or 1.30, making CN go to 5/5.30 and pushing BT back again. This is leading to shorter nights but long first nap. Sounds normal?

This also means that i can't waste ANY time getting her down for CN or BT gets pushed back even later! I have been doing CNs in the sling and it had been working well but now she is resisting that too. I end up coming back home and then she'll fall asleep in the sling in her dark room. Is this okay? I feel like I am just letting in all the bad habits that I had tried to hard to keep away. It has now been 5 days since she took a CN without any trouble.

Am I on the right track?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2015, 11:01:00 am »
We were on short/long from around 7/8mo but 12h nights.
I wouldn't bother APOPing catnap Fleur, it never backfired at us and believe me - I am APOPing from 4mo:))) with some occasional peaks in the routine when he is tired and goes to sleep I by himself. What I want to say, is that we have not problem with settling for nap or BT if there is a proper routine. Otherwise, I APOP the catnap and don't care:P
~Marta

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2015, 11:57:00 am »
Frank is a little angel. Sleep with us is so up and down. It's still hard for me to come to terms with the fact that the days of me putting her down and not having to bother are long gone. At least she stays asleep once she is down. Naps had fallen into place but now she is back to refusing the nap with me. DH can get her down though, and this way I am back to working part time.  whether in the crib, arms or sling, CN is permanently at 35 mins. If she does less, then we have some trouble at BT. So much change!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2015, 09:26:50 am »
B doesn't go to nursery for another 3 months :). I know what you mean about the routine being all over the place and them looking more tired with better sleep, seems totally crazy but it is what happens here.  So one day he can do 20 min CN, 1h20 lunchtime nap and seem happy all afternoon, then next he does a 2h nap and is begging for sleep come bedtime ??? I just don't get it.  He now has a cold which makes things even more fun and is currently having a bit of a restless CN before I have to wake him to go to church.  Honestly he is such a puzzle!  I know 11h nights aren't technically EWs but he never seems very rested on them, that said I don't think he really sleeps completely soundly as I almost always hear him (briefly) at some point in the night.  And he is so loud when he wakes in the morning!  None of this quietly hanging around in the crib business here....

Fleur it's totally ok to AP the CN.  It will be gone soon. DD started to refuse it from around 9/10 months so i would AP if I could (often unsuccessful) and we needed a lot of EBTs.  We were done and sorted onto one nap by 12/13 months if I remember correctly. 

Marta - since you did short am/long pm for a while, do you think that the same 'rules' apply for nap lengths regarding UT/OT?  I'd always thought on two naps OT was typically 30 mins, UT 45-1h25.  But we get quite a lot of pm naps that are over an hour (in fact almost always over an hour) yet he can wake in an awful mood and still seem really tired.  Is it just that he's not getting the 'full' 2h nap those routines typically have? 

Offline :: ANA ::

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Previously n&a's mommy
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2015, 00:20:08 am »
Hi everyone!
Can you help us? I'm confused!

DD's EASY (what it used to be like)

WU 7:00-7:30
S 11:00-12:30
S 3:30-4:30
BT 7:00

Over the past weeks she's been having long NWs, refusing the PM nap and now, EWs (4:30, 5:00).
According to what I read on the help threads, I understood I was supposed to gradually shorten AM nap and bring PM nap earlier, right? But I think we're too much into the transition now and since she's not sleeping during her PM nap (though happily playing in her crib for the whole hour) I don't know where to go from here.

I think I should push AM nap later and later and give EBT until she's fully on one nap, instead of capping AM nap and bringing PM nap earlier (original plan). 
The problem is I have school run at 1:00, so it will be still a long while before she's ready to go all morning (until 1:30 aprox) without sleep.
Should I offer a CN let's say at 11:30, so she's ready to take a long nap at 2:00? Not sure if this will work.
Today I capped her nap at 12:15, she woke up very grumpy but still hasn't slept a bit in the PM. 

Also, I'm not sure how I'll handle EBT, right now I do bath/bedtime routine with both kids at once, and even though DS goes to sleep "later", they're both in their beds by 7.

She's 14mo.

Any ideas? Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 00:56:50 am by n&a's mommy »
Ana

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2015, 06:47:58 am »
If you have a school run, there is no other option than short-long routine as you are right - nap at 1:30 will come much later. As she has been sleeping 2:30h during day until recently with a 12-12.5h I would say you have a average/high sleep needs baby. You ideal routine for a one nap would probably nap at 11:30/12:00 for 2-2:30h and BT at 7. However I would say that it may still be early for her to move to that routine at once so you may have to mix one and two naps days.

Routine with a catnap would mean a nap in the morning of 15-30min and than a pm nap at 1/2pm for 1:30-2:00h. Would that suit you?
~Marta

Offline :: ANA ::

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Previously n&a's mommy
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2015, 14:26:21 pm »

Routine with a catnap would mean a nap in the morning of 15-30min and than a pm nap at 1/2pm for 1:30-2:00h. Would that suit you?

OK, so I'd be putting her down at 10:45, asleep by 11, and waking her up at 11:30.  Then putting her down again at 1:30-2:00 and letting her sleep until probably 3:30-4:00 tops.  Did I understand you?

Thanks!
Ana

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2015, 15:03:35 pm »
You may go for an earlier nap in the morning. The thing is it doesn't matter when she sleeps it can be 10 or 11. The key is how long will she sleep:).
~Marta