Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27  (Read 64972 times)

Offline labrodyk

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27
« Reply #300 on: September 16, 2016, 20:54:22 pm »
Choc - yes, same story here in regards to school pickup which is why is why I've not done much of the short am/long pm. Plus if I can't consistently grt her to do that long second nap, we're in trouble.

ScottishMummy - I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing, to be honest I'm just doing what'a easier each day. If we go out in the am it will be short morning, if we're home we do long AM. Probably so confusing for her but she still needs those 2 naps and struggling to push her past 10.30 for long nap so will leave as is!

Ecwinters - glad to know I'm not alone! I was thinking of trying a paci today... she has a tag addition. Any soft toy with a tag she'll start sucking. So strange. I'm hoping it gets a little less as she starts to walk and talk (more things to occcupy her). I think teething is a major issue for her atm as is not being able to get places/do things so she just sits and sucks.

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #301 on: September 17, 2016, 06:47:40 am »
Yesterday looked like this
Wu 7 after his usual little Wu at 5
S 12.45 to 3
Bt 7.15
This morning he woke at 5 as usual but was awake for ages maybe an hour or more. Then he went back to sleep and is still asleep now at 7.45.  Am I doing the wrong thing letting him sleep in after the early waking? Will his body think it's OK to play for an hour at 5am because I'll get to catch up the sleep? A bit like an early nap? Or should I let him sleep in so not OT for his one nap now? Which I also have no idea what time to do today due to the late wake up!
Gemma

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #302 on: September 17, 2016, 09:09:35 am »
hi Choc - sorry I don't know what to do in that instance, I'd be just as lost and confused. hopefully ScottishMummy can help!

Our day looked like this and AJ and I aren't thrilled with it.

WU: 6 at the latest, quite possibly earlier
Nap 1: 10.35; 10.50-12.10 (not sure of exact time she fell asleep)
Nap 2: 3.38; not asleep until 4.15/20, let her sleep until 4.40.
BT: 6.35; shortly after 7.00pm
^^ I only put her down so early because she was absolutely hysterical. She cried during dinner, constantly rubbed eyes and food through them and this continued through bedtime routine. I was hoping for later...
I feel we may have caught her too late in the sleep cycle of second nap but I never know how much sleep or when to offer anymore. :(

Just as confuzzled as always! Keep us posted how your days get on.

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #303 on: September 17, 2016, 12:40:39 pm »
I saw your post in TS, choc...I tend to let mine sleep in as long as they want in the mornings (whenever possible) as I think they need the catch up sleep...but saw Zoe said something different in TS & she's been mod-I got there longer than me..so it's up to you!!

Labrodyk..could she be ready for a slightly later first nap..especially if you are wanting a long one then? Looks like she got herself into a  UT-OT situation.

Ecwinters- hi! Posted in TS but I do wonder if it's worth trying the afternoon micro nap I.e. Only 10-15mins APOP-rd around 4.30/45ish? And BT at 7. I didn't realise your LO had only gone to 2 naps at 9mo, must be high sleep needs & need that micro nap for a bit longer.

DD napped 11.30-13.30 yesterday then crashed at 6pm-5am, DH managed to resettle her and she then did 5.30-6.30, fed and back to sleep until 7.45! She was wide awake all morning then went to sleep 12.15. Waiting to see how long she sleeps.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #304 on: September 17, 2016, 13:23:30 pm »
Thanks SM. I have usually let them sleep as long as they want in the morning but haven't had this situation with a long equity and back to sleep before. If he slept straight through I definitely wouldn't wake him!  I ended up waking him at 8 this morning and put down for nap at 1 which is actually a shorter A time than he has been having. He is awake now after 1hr15mins but hoping he might drop back off.
Gemma

Offline ecwinters

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #305 on: September 17, 2016, 17:01:08 pm »
labrodyk - I've never really tried DS with a paci but it might well work, I don't know.  I know what you mean about the toys with tags - DS likes to hold his sleeve in his hand and suck his thumb at the same time.  Which means he won't wear T shirts!!!  All summer he's been in long sleeved tops as he just tries to pull his sleeve down to get at it all the time if I put him in a T shirt.

DS is talking LOADS - just alternates sucking and talking!  To be honest I don't really notice it as it's just part of him - I figure he'll probably stop when he gets to school :)  Or at least save it for bedtime!  Some of them just like to suck though I think.  I'm still BF DS and I honestly thought he'd have stopped by now, but no - he loves to suck!  Isn't bothered about it during the day, but likes a feed in the morning/evening.   

Sorry I'm not being much help here but I hope she takes to the paci.

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #306 on: September 17, 2016, 21:35:01 pm »
AJ was awake when I woke at 5.55 this morning and yet she'd crawled out of view of the monitor so when my DH went to get her at 7am, he WOKE her up. I can't believe it, she's never fallen back to sleep before and given our days lately she really needed the catch up.

ScottishMummy - I'm going to try 10.45 (15 minutes later) for PD today or maybe a little later given she sort-of slept in.
aaaaaaaand she didn't make it! lol. down at 10.30; asleep 10.35am but unfortunately she was very unsettled and never fell back to sleep after the first sleep cycle.
Nap 2: she was then pretty miserable and tired and fell asleep in my bed with me for about 30 minutes until 4.20.
BT: 7.10. Still awake at 8pm
Nw: 5.00am crying out, quiet until 6am then moaning, chatting and sitting up until 7am!

Tuesday
WU:?
Nap 1: only made it to 9.50. Slept 9.55-10.15 but actually slept. Made a slight movement during normal transition but that's all and seemed restorative
Nap 2: 3.05; asleep 3.30-4.07
BT: 7.20; asleep at 8
We went out to dinner so I let her sleep but she was SO cranky the whole time. cried constantly, rubbed her eyes. Cried the whole way home in the car.
Still wants absolutely nothing to do with hubby...

We're teething so that's not helping much either.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:46:51 pm by labrodyk »

Offline N_Mom_S

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #307 on: September 19, 2016, 14:39:25 pm »
Hi everyone! I thought I'd join the chat since I'm also starting to feel the joy of the transition...  ::) I'll try to help too, if I can!! ;)
My LO is almost 10mo and for personal reasons I had to jump straight into one nap a day. It worked wonders for almost a week (great nights too, unprecedented!), and he's starting to get OT. Yesterday we started with 2 naps again (his usual am 1.5h and pm 30m in the stroller) and he fought BT. And today, for the first time in a long time, he had a 30m morning nap because he was OT, and also for the first time in a looong time he hasn't fought his 2nd nap (we'll see BT). Do you think I should go back to 1.5h and 30m and gradually cut the 1st one, or could I keep the first one short? It worked great today but I don't know if he'd be OT like when jumping straight into one nap.

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #308 on: September 19, 2016, 18:29:23 pm »
N Mom - we are the same age as you and on a pretty similar routine. We've just swapped from long am to short am of 20 mins and long nap around 3.5 hours later. It's working better for us so give it a go.
Lauren

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #309 on: September 19, 2016, 18:41:29 pm »
That worked well for us too. We started with 30 mins at 9.45 then next nap at 1.15. When the second nap started becoming short like 1hr20 we chopped first nap to 25 mins, 10 to 10.15 then second nap at 1.15. When it became short again I dropped the first nap and he is doing OK so far.
Gemma

Offline N_Mom_S

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #310 on: September 19, 2016, 19:44:23 pm »
Thanks choc and Lauren! Don't you think he may get OT if going straight to 30 min for the am nap (he did 1h30 two days ago, and also before the one nap days), even if it worked out great today?

-choc: That's a really good suggestion, although we're cutting his 2nd nap short too, if he sleeps more than 2h during the day he gets more NW. So there's no way for us to see when he's ready to cut it shorter, I guess we'll just do maybe 5 min less every 2-3 days and see what happens!

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #311 on: September 19, 2016, 20:15:18 pm »
If you did 30 min am nap and 1hr30 pm nap that would be 2 hours. Then our naps go to 1hr20 when ut so that was my clue to shorten am to 25 mins. That could work for you? I wouldn't think too much ot would happen as long as you got the good second nap and first nap is usually a little ut anyway.
Gemma

Offline N_Mom_S

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #312 on: September 19, 2016, 20:34:34 pm »
Sorry, I meant that those 1h30 were after cutting it short. He's a good long napper but it messes up his nights! Let me see if I understood... I'll keep cutting it to 1h30 and if he starts to wake up before that mark, that will mean he's ready to shorten am nap until pm nap goes back to 1h30 again?

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #313 on: September 19, 2016, 20:53:43 pm »
Yes that's what I meant! I'm no expert though, it's just what worked for us!
Gemma

Offline N_Mom_S

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #314 on: September 19, 2016, 21:17:56 pm »
Thanks choc, I'll try that!!  :)