Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27  (Read 64974 times)

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2015, 00:18:19 am »
Not sure exactly, Suzanna. But yesterday, he passed out a little over 5 hours in the afternoon, and it seems like he needs more than 4.20 in the morning (refuses at 4.30 too).  Then today, he did a CN in the car after 2.45 A. I think I saw someone try 5 A morning and afternoon and just go straight for one afternoon nap.  I would've tried that but we've been trying to address his NW, EW, OT, etc... Probably still worth a try. We'll see tomorrow. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 00:26:28 am by ginger428 »

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2015, 07:02:31 am »
Not sure if this is any help ginger but when we hit that stage with DD (about 11mo) we just went for set nap 11.30 and set BT 6pm and pushed on through.  Only exception was if a pre-6am waking we would try a 20-30 min catnap at around 9/9.30am (she would have never gone down that early before but did with accumulated OT - did it in car more often than not) and then a second nap around 3h or so later and hoped for a better WU the next day.  It was messy for a couple of months if I'm honest but did come right and took the guessing out of when to put down for nap and bedtime.

B has recovered from his illness and we are back into silliness.  Morning A of about 4h right now but he may need a push, we've had a couple of 50 minute WUs which I think are probably UT for him, even though he wakes very upset - it's like he's still tired but not quite tired enough to transition to the next sleep cycle.  Yesterday he then did nearly another 4h A after the 50 min nap and I had to wake him after an hour or so to protect BT.  He settled for bed ok but up at 6am today raring to go, a bit on the early side really....I'm going to watch him carefully this morning and see if we can push another few mins.  If he does a good morning nap I'm struggling to get a second one before about 4h30A and generally having to AP.  It's that awkward stage ::)

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2015, 10:21:56 am »
We made 4h10 reasonably comfortably and he is 1h10 into his nap :). Guess the push was needed...how is everyone else doing?

Offline athenasmom

• What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2015, 13:15:21 pm »
We are actually doing 4.5-5 hour A times in the am easily. If she goes down before that she gives me 50 min to 1.15 nap. and we need another nap 3.5 hours later. Then we end up with late BT because there is just not enough time in the day  ::) So now we just push through and put her down around noon after about 5 hour A time and we get a nice long nap about 2.5 - 3 hours. If it is less than 2.5 hours or the nap was earlier and she cannot make it to BT then we try for a CN. Most of the times I have to APOP the CN though. Last night I messed up  :( Her nap was 2.5 hours but she fell asleep in the car on the way home from daycare. But she only slept for about 20 min because as soon as we got home and she heard her brother she perked up right away. I should have done an EBT but thought because of the CN she would be able to make it to BT. Well she got definitely OT. She was hyper and crazy and OS and had a hard time to settle at BT. Then cried out several times in the first part of the night and was up for the day at 6:20  :P I told the daycare lady that she will need an earlier nap today. I hope things straighten  out today.
*Suzanna*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2015, 14:26:48 pm »
Well he did a 1h30 nap then has dozed off (unplanned) in the car 3h30 later...warm sunny day, motion etc so just too comfy!  At least it was after 3pm though when he went off so he should make an ok bedtime.  Silly silly...

Sounds like you are doing great Suzanna!

Offline 1stimer

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2015, 21:04:10 pm »
I think DS is getting close to the 2:1 transition (isn't it around 10m????) but I know hes not ready for it. His PM nap has been a fight lately. His AM is fine. Im not sure how to handle this since his naps aren't consistent in the length but weve gotten better (I would say they average an hr now but sometimes go longer or he will only do 30). Im trying to get a better routine/schedule going bc his times change from day to day and on the weeks we have DSD and we have to take her to school that throws it off bc hes usually in the car at his 2.45 mark and will doze off. Should I aim to cap the am nap to keep the PM nap around the same time? Some days it can get pretty late (not up until 5) and I hate him going down at 830 bc it will throw his next day off. Other days I will just try and get a catnap in bc its too late and by then hes OT and he will go 5 hrs before BT and then hes super OT and the night is usually horrendous until about midnight when he settles. Sorry if its a little jumbled...not quite sure where to start ;). He seems to be easiest to put down around 3.5 hrs...in the am I will often aim for 3 hrs bc he is still waking several times a night and hes generally pretty tired when his am nap rolls around.

[/url]

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2015, 13:12:25 pm »
We do long 1st nap and a CN if necessary. If she sleeps over 2 hours for her nap and wakes after 2:30 we do an EBT and skip the CN. I'd say if he can only do about 3.5 hours comfortably then he is not ready for 1 nap. Keep the 2 naps for now and try to establish a solid routine  ;) That's my 2 cents.

We are getting sucked into the OT cycle  :( Yesterday was a 2 nap day but both naps were kinda short. All together she only slept a little over 2 hours in the day. There was no chance of EBT as her 2nd nap ended after 4 pm. We had another EW today at 6:20 so her night was only 10.5 hours :( She seemed tired in the morning. I talked to the daycare lady today morning when I dropped her off. Yesterday her 1st nap was cut short because she woke with a huge poo. She was literally covered in it  :P I hope today goes better.

*Suzanna*

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2015, 17:07:58 pm »
Yeah 3.5 is the most he can do. I'll just do the long am nap an cap the second...or do you think it's best to cap the am so he doesn't have to go down too late for pm? He used to be such and independent sleeper where I could lay him down tired but now that he's so mobile he wants to play and fight his pm nap (still goes down find for am).. maybe I'm trying to put him down too early and he's ut..

[/url]

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2015, 18:24:48 pm »
If he does a good am nap I would keep that uncapped and move the pm nap later but cap it. At least that's what we do. I do not want to cap her am nap because that is what will become her 1 nap as we push it later and later. WE are on 1 naps now most days but some days she still needs the pm CN. hose days are tricky because I never know when to put her down for BT and tend to get OT in the end  :(
*Suzanna*

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2015, 19:23:21 pm »
Yes that makes sense with the am nap. I'll just aim for his pm nap to run no later than 430 but I guess I need to be flexible with that too depending on what time he goes down at. If he goes down at 300 I don't need to let him sleep till 430. Should I am to cap the nap depending on what I want bt to consistently be  (730) or should I cap the nap depending on how long he's down for? Does this make sense lol???

[/url]

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2015, 20:20:33 pm »
4:30 does not seem late to me at all. DD does the CN around 5-5:30 if we have one. We cannot get it in earlier. At that late time I only let her nap for 20-30 min max. Just to tie her over until BT. In your case I would take the length of the 1st nap in account. I tend to aim for a total day sleep of around 2.5-2.75 hours ... max 3. So if his 1st nap is decent length like 2 hours then CN for about 30 min. That short of CN should not affect BT too much. If his 1st nap is shorter then I would let him sleep longer in the pm. But that really indicates that he is not yet ready for the switch imho  ;)
*Suzanna*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2015, 15:44:54 pm »
Argh CN refusal.....WU from nap one was 12pm.....could be a fun night here!

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2015, 17:23:14 pm »
Ugh ... that's pain. How often does that happen? If he refuses the CN often I would just get bold and push that 1st nap and ditch the CN for good  ;)
*Suzanna*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2015, 18:06:54 pm »
Had a good run of a few days of taking CN, last one he refused was 5 days ago but I managed to AP in the car.  Very messy BT in the end :(  this phase is not fun!

Offline ginger428

« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2015, 23:02:15 pm »
Suzanne- when you did set nap at 11:30 and BT at 6:00, how long were you LO's naps? DS is only doing 1.15 or so.  His day sleep is so low. I know I'm supposed to stick with it and wait a little while to let his body adjust and I'm hoping it'll get longer.  Because of his EW, BT has to be really early, like 5 or 5:30.  I think poor guy is so OT, he melts down around 4.  He didn't wake after an hour after BT today, so phew! But he did have a screaming contest with himself... how loud could he get. =(

Boooo messy BTs!  >:(

Katherine, don't know if you already posted somewhere, but what happened after that 12pm wake (how long was this nap?)? AP in car? After how long of A time?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 23:05:57 pm by ginger428 »