Author Topic: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch?  (Read 281178 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: anyone want to chat about the 2-1 nap switch?
« Reply #435 on: September 26, 2006, 11:38:23 am »
Thanks Kelly - sounds like Zander is doing great with one nap also. How is he feeling?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #436 on: September 26, 2006, 12:03:15 pm »
He's still a bit grotty.  Lots of pooey nappies this morning and he was tired all morning - lunch at 11 and nap at 11.30 even though he didn't wake until 8 today.  Hopefully all this restorative sleep is doing him good.  He's eating more but only because I'm learning the types of food he's interested in and have stopped trying to feed him anything else!  On a positive note this has got rid of the habitual 5.30 waking  :-\

Thanks for asking.
Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #437 on: September 26, 2006, 12:12:36 pm »
Sleep is a good thing. M has a cold right now and is really congested and had a very full, loose diaper this morning too. She seems happy although barely eating/drinking. Healthy vibes and good sleep days to them all!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #438 on: September 26, 2006, 16:48:33 pm »
we had a big sleep last night and he looks sick today.  maybe teeth, but sounds a little snotty.  Hum  So he was up at 740 (after a 7 pm bedtime once again Yippee!) and second nap at 1210 (asleep at that time) I am anticipating a shorter nap, but with him not feeling well - who knows.  I gave him some tylenol incase he has a toothache/headache.  He just looked a little glassy.......

Marisa's Mommy - welcome back!

bsparki- that is a great nap even if he is up for the afternoon!  did he fall back asleep?  I was shocked when PJ did that a few weeks ago.  In any event I recommend leaving in the crib as long as he can tolerate it.  If he is playing leave him in a while.  Longer break for you and it will teach him how long it is expected to sleep for his nap.  It really helps us to do that.  Also, if PJ wakes up at 130 I am thinking a 7pm bedtime at the latest.  At this young age 5.5 hours is about the longest you can expect them to stay awake easily.  And then fall back to sleep for the night easily.

Meg

Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #439 on: September 26, 2006, 17:04:13 pm »
Hope PJ is doing ok Meg. Marisa is pretty snotty too - amazingly in good spirits though. She went down for her nap at 11:30 - I couldn't keep her awake another second - and has been asleep for just over 1.5 hours now. Hoping for at least 2 hours - but we'll see.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #440 on: September 26, 2006, 17:17:30 pm »
Well I jinxed myself - right after I wrote that M woke up at 1:05 (1 hour 35 min). Which isn't bad but really don't want to get her to bed before 7 - never works out well when I do. So I guess lots of relaxing stroller time later and we'll see how it goes. Maybe she only needs 13 hours a day? She never really seems to get much more than that total. She is sometimes tired and could probably use another half hour but it rarely happens...

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #441 on: September 26, 2006, 21:05:15 pm »
That Kaleb is definitely the Energizer bunny!

So after only sleeping 1.5 hours this afternoon and getting up at 1:05, Marisa actually fell asleep in her stroller! It was the first time in MONTHS and I can only assume is related to her cold. I only let her sleep 15 minutes (from 4:42-4:57). She was so upset when I woke her but I'm letting her watch 10 minutes of Dora now while I write to you guys and get her dinner heated up.

Do you think this 15 minutes will affect her bedtime/overnight sleep at all? Should I still get her to bed at 7 or push it back to 7:15 or so?

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #442 on: September 26, 2006, 21:46:37 pm »
Karen - oh man I hope not!  In theory that 15 min shouldn't make a difference, and it is 2 hours till bedtime, but man oh man these kids are crazy.  I think it would effect PJ......... 

He only slept 1h20 - which is *ok*  b/c I know it has to do with TOTAL sleep time for him like Kaleb, but it really just isn't much of a break for me. (can i have some cheese with my W-I-N-E) I would like 2 hours everyday.  even if I leave him in the crib for that extra time, I can hear him and it raises my anxiety......but I do sit on my butt which is good.  Hee hee

At least we will have a 7 pm bedtime.

He doesn't really seem to sleep too much more when he is sick - but he does when he is teething so who knows.

Meg
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #443 on: September 26, 2006, 23:30:13 pm »
We ended up getting her to bed at 7:25 - so 2.5 after the 15 minute catnap in stroller and 6 hours 20 minutes after her long nap. We'll see what happens - she was just having too much fun to get her in sooner and then she didn't want her milk so that took longer too. Would love another 11.5 hours but doubt it will happen! She was practically launching herself into her crib at the end and was asleep in 2 minutes flat.

Offline lucmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #444 on: September 27, 2006, 03:20:58 am »
Hi all,
Ours has done ok for the past week...nap is up to 1 hour 45 minutes so that's good.  But this morning dh put him down at 11:30 (woke at 6:20) because he was tired.  He slept until 1:15, which is a decent length for nap, but early for bedtime by the clock.  I though he'd need to sleep by 6:45 (5.5 hours awake), so was shooting for that, but didn't get him into bed until that time.  He usually takes 5-20 minutes to fully settle to sleep, but tonight he fussed for 40 minutes!  He'd jump for a minute, then roll around, then cry, then mantra cry, then be quiet...each for about a 1-2 minute interval.  Do you think I should have had him to bed earlier due to awake time (and he had a reasonably active day today) or was it that it was too early since he's been going to bed more like 7:00-7:15?  Or maybe totally unrelated since we're only talking about a 15 minute difference in clock time?

I'm bracing myself for early or night waking in case it was due to being overtired....can they get overtired in one day?  Is this a normal bump with the transition?

Offline bsparki73

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #445 on: September 27, 2006, 03:39:57 am »
Hi all,
He DID go back to sleep! Truly a miracle....it was quiet again for another 45 mins...

I put him to bed at 6.30 but didn't go to sleep until 7.30pm and woke at 6am as usual! I was wondering how the 10.5 hours overnight would effect his morning but he was pretty good.

I put him down at 11.30am but he woke at 1pm (arrrrrrrrrgh!)....just as I was trying to have a nap! I'm sure I wouldn't be quite as frustrated about this if I wasn't 6 mths pregnant and tired!!!

I again left him in his cot for quite a while but no luck today with him falling back asleep! I would say yesterday was a true once off!

I'm a bit worried how he'll be this afternoon as his total sleep hours (usually 13.5-14) has now dropped to 12....

I know his bedtime was too late yesterday. I will put him down with the aim of him being asleep by 6.30pm tonight.

Patience patience and deep breaths!!  :)

Sophie

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #446 on: September 27, 2006, 10:23:52 am »
Sounds like some rough days all around here. M woke this morning at 6am - not sure if the 15 minute catnap led to early morning or that bedtime should have been earlier or both. Still going to try to get her to 11:30 today or as close as possible and hopefully since she only slept 10.5 hours overnight she'll take at least 2 hour nap today. Should be interesting.

Lucsmom - hard to say - did he seem sleepy when you put him down at that bedtime?

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #447 on: September 27, 2006, 10:42:59 am »
Lucsmom - IMHO an earlier bedtime would have been better as he was struggling to settle and had been up since 1.15.  Our early morning wakings have all but disappeared (for now at least!) by bringing bedtime forward 15 minutes and having a really long 30 minute wind-down in the cot prior to that time where we read stories and I sing lullabys (not sure how he sleeps at all after that!) and he drinks his milk.  I say goodnight at 6.45 and he chatters for 10 minutes or so before going to sleep.
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #448 on: September 27, 2006, 15:34:47 pm »
Poor exhausted little girl... We had a nice morning and I just got her in crib at 11:25, asleep by 11:30 (practically jumping into crib and almost fell asleep in high chair). she was too tired to eat much - only had two little bites of grilled cheese, some Gerber freeze dried banana/pineapple pieces and a tiny bit of veggie booty but she did have 4.5 ounces milk so hopefully she sleeps at least 2 hours so we can get through the afternoon and have a well rested bambina!

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #449 on: September 27, 2006, 16:52:24 pm »
PJ is sick.  He had a rough time falling asleep with his stuffed up nose, didn't fall asleep until 720pm.  Then up frequently calling out all night and up for the day at 630.  Looking exhausted.  I put him down at 1130- well see.  Poor kiddo.

I did find these little 'triaminic thin strips for infants cold and decongestant'  they are like those listerine mouth freshener thin strips only they have medicine on them.  I haven't had the nerve to use them yet, but maybe before bedtime.  He sounds so snotty and the mucous I had a good look at was very thick, not thin like if he was teething. 

It sucks when they are sick.

I hope he can sleep a little better today than yesterday especially with the interrupted sleep last night.  I gave him a peanut butter and jelly - which seems to always produce a long sleep in him.  HAHA

Good luck everyone.  These days are very rough.

Meg

**Crap 1h 20 min  - I just don't get it.  That is certainly not enough sleep for one day.  11.5 at night 1 20 min day?  uh NOT!  going to bed early with cold medicine.

Me
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 17:05:10 pm by PeepersMom »
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12