Author Topic: June/ July 05 Mom's Chat  (Read 122709 times)

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #480 on: November 18, 2005, 01:11:49 am »
Quote from: *Adria's1st*
I am scepticle about formula because the #1 inged. is corn syrup! :?

WHAT??????
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #481 on: November 18, 2005, 01:15:13 am »
Adria,

I am having a hard time trying to figure you out.  You come on here and say how desperate you are and how much help you need (saying you want to give your baby a sleeping pill is SERIOUS desperation to me), then people try to help you and you don't reply to them and go on as if you never needed help...until the next time that is.  What is up????  I apologize if I'm coming across harshly - I just don't know how to help you when you don't take any advice offered.  So, my last piece of advice to you will be this: read Tracy's newest book and just try what she suggests and be consistent.
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06

Offline alison toms mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 40
  • my little bundles of trouble
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #482 on: November 18, 2005, 09:16:38 am »
only discovered this thread 2 weeks ago and then went on hol, but have just read the messages posted while i was away and it sounds like everyone is having a pritty rough time!  :(  i know my lo is going through loads of changes at the moment and thats affecting his sleep and making him more grumpy than usuall...and it sounds like im not the only one!

Anyway i know im new but i just thought id send (((((HUGS))))) to you all.

I
Alison

Offline alison toms mum

June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #483 on: November 18, 2005, 09:20:08 am »
BTW i lost my mum 10 years ago aswell amystoker so i completly understand how you miss her more than ever now, i feel the same, sopmetimes you just need a hug dont you?
Alison

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #484 on: November 18, 2005, 13:57:16 pm »
In regards to the formula... well, we haven't tried it again.  We are working on getting a better pump and I'll see if it works better at getting milk out of the ol' cow.  He has taken bottles before, but never formula.  oh well.

Things here have been pretty good.  Owen has been fussy to get to sleep at night, but only at bedtime... every other time he's fine.  Got to figure out what to do.  Maybe keep him up later.

BTW, how many naps are your little ones getting?  Owen is on a 3- 4 hour EASY and that allows for 3 pretty solid naps a day.  He's loving his Jumparoo right now!  It's nice that he can entertain himself a little... a little independance for both of us. 

Emotionally I'm still a little low, but the public health nurse will be here monday.  I may need to go back on meds for my anxiety, but it's what is important for my lo. 

And still no drinking to report. (me drinking that is) but don't worry, I'll give a full report whenever it happens!!!  LOL

I really like the water in the sippy cup idea.  I'm storing that away for future use. 

Lastly, have any of you mamas seen Bringing Home Baby on TLC?  If I had seen that show before I had Owen, well.....  haha, just kidding, but it's so much more reality that a baby story.  It always makes me laugh and reminds me of our first few days home.  Doesn't it seem eons ago?

Ok, that's my essay for today.  LOL.

It's actually sunny here today, I think i may get out because i have been inside for 3 days.   :(   

Hugs, hugs and more hugs!
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #485 on: November 18, 2005, 14:01:45 pm »
Hi, I've been trying to catch up with the posts and don't have much time to reply. DD keeps wakign up every 5 mins from her nap and I'm determined to keep her asleep, hence have to jump in with the soother on and off.

I'm still BF and regarding the expressing I also used to get about 1-2oz initially. It takes time for the supply to regulate, not I'd get anything from 2-5oz after a feed. I freeze it and then let DH or the MIL feed DD if I'm out. We try to give her a bottle once every week or two so she gets used to it. She doesnt; seem to mind where the food comes from. LOL :lol:  :lol:

As for the baby feeding to often, try and strech the times slowly, it did work for us. She used to feed every 2 hours, and now is up to 3-4 depending on her mood and naps. Naps are still all over the place, and 45 mins short, was extending them with sh/p but there was alot going on last week and stopped. Now starting again from square one:) She also wakes up during the night, alot! I only feed her every 4 hours or so, but started letting her in bed with me to get some sleep (me, not her:) ) Feeding is much easier, but sometimes in the mornign don't remember when I fed her as I was half-asleep. Thinking of weaning the paci slowly but the thought still terrifies me, so still gathering courage:)

Hugs to all moms and babies, hope you are keeping well. I'm limiting my Internet time this week and trying to do some housework :D  :D
My little princess is 2.5 :) Textbook/Angel/Spirited toddler
My little munchkin is few weeks old and doesn't understnd EASY!

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #486 on: November 18, 2005, 14:03:14 pm »
Oh, also I've read somewhere if the baby doesn't want to take formula, try and mix it with EBM - mainly EBM and little formula, slowly increaing the amount of formula... As I said I'm expressing and freezing it, so haven't tried it myself.
My little princess is 2.5 :) Textbook/Angel/Spirited toddler
My little munchkin is few weeks old and doesn't understnd EASY!

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #487 on: November 18, 2005, 14:40:45 pm »
Slowly but surely we are getting into a better routine.

Caeden took a 2 hour nap yesterday ALL BY HIMSELF!!!! I had been going in and resettling after 45-60 minutes when he would wake. Toda he just never woke - YEAH!!!!!!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

We had 2 nights of only up at 11 & 3, then the last 2 nights he was up at 11, 2 & 4:30. Though once each night he has not been hungry, just fussy and hard to get back to sleep. Not sure why, he just fusses and cries for about 30 minutes and then will finalyl go back to sleep.

So far he seems to be liking his crib, though I have still done a couple naps on my bed..... it's easier for me cause I can lay down too and we both relax. I know - I need to break the habit soon!
But we are leaving for Phoenix next week, and I know he will need to nap some on bed while visiting family, so I am okay with keeping it up till we get back then work on it!

Anyway - he was up this morning at 4:30, nursed and went back to sleep but promptly woke up when I laid him down and pooped. SO - he was up for awhile. Then finally went down and slept till 7:30. So - we will see how today goes.

Have a great day all!

Adria - how are you doing????
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline daisymelan

June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #488 on: November 18, 2005, 15:38:47 pm »
Amystoker:  I completely agree how everyone feels it's their job to tell you what to do, when to do it and how.  (can I add where?)  Geeez...

I also hate when someone asks how I managed to get ds to nap so well, etc.  When I tell them about BW they then feel the need to tell me how they have a better book/website/info, etc.  Well then, why did you ask me?  Especially since your lo takes a million 20 minute naps a day and you have no time for yourself or your sanity.  Arg....

This is a long story, but one I'm sure some of you can relate to.

My lo was about a week old or so.  My mom was here helping and visiting and insisted we go out to eat (she knows that I'm a person who needs to be around ppl and tried to get me out into the real world ASAP).  We went to eat at a little pub eatery out on the boardwalk in the fresh air.  (also to keep my ds where if he decided to make noise it would be easy to run off and soothe him and not disturb ppl)  It was a bit windy so we had a thin receiving blanket partially covering his face.  Some woman who had been drinking there came over and told us she was a nurse in the maternity wing of the hospital and her daughter had also just had a baby. 

At this time ds was crying and I was holding him.  He was doing his reflex of bobbing his head on my shoulder and she told me he was hungry and that I had to suplement a bottle, because that's what her daughter had to do.  I had just fed him less than an hour ago. 

My mom then finished her meal and took ds so I could finish mine.  This lady just wouldn't leave and sat at our table!!!  My mom then took ds away from the patio so she could console him.  The lady just kept blabbing..  I kept saying thanks, but everything is fine.  Finally I had enough and asked her to leave.  Anyways, to make a long story short, it ended in a shouting match infront of about 50 + ppl.  I was at the height of baby blues and couldn't take it anymore. 

I couldn't find my mom and needed to leave.  Finally my mom showed up and we paid and left.  I knew some of the staff and after I left apparently the shift manager asked her to leave.  She said she would go to the media... the manager asked her what she would say "I was drunk by 5pm on a Friday and upset a new mom?"   A week later the manager got in touch with DH and gave us a gift certificate to the restaurant. 

I could have burned a hole in the woman with my eyes...I swear.  Even writing about the story I'm all tense.  I couldnt even tell the story without crying for the first 2 weeks.

Can't ppl just mind their own business???????

Thanks for letting me rant.  Phew, I think I feel better.  lol

Offline jswerczek

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #489 on: November 18, 2005, 16:47:18 pm »
daisymelon- Jake is taking three naps a day, two longer ones and then a short catnap in the evening. He is on the 4 hour easy. I would like to drop the evening nap but he can't seem to make it to bedtime without it :)

Sorry about your encounter with that lady...what gives her the right to but in? Everyone always seems to think they know best... but after spending day and night with out little ones, I think we know what is best for them!

As for a night out.... I am finally having one tomorrow! I am soooo excited. DH and I decided it was time, it has been five long and wonderful months but it is time to do it. Not only are we going to dinner but we are going to stay in a hotel! We are going for the whole night. I can't wait to sit in the jacuzzi. It will also be nice to go to bed once and not wonder when I will be getting up again. It's going to feel weird and I probably will wake up every hour wondering how Jake is.... but oh well, it is time :) My sister in law is coming from out of town to watch Jake, hopefully everything will go smoothly.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Jennifer

Mom to Jake born 6-16-05 and Julia born 8-29-07

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #490 on: November 18, 2005, 17:43:55 pm »
Oh jswerczek - I am jealous!!!!
I love my son dearly and wouldn't trade him for the world, but I am so ready for a night out too. Would love to go all night but that isn't happening for awhile. I cannot convince my wonderful husband that it would be okay to leave Caeden with my mom for a couple hours....... I have tried a couple times and hinted many times and he just isn't ready to leave him. Maybe I need to try the you watch him and I'll go out approach.
Have a wonderful weekend !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline alison toms mum

June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #491 on: November 18, 2005, 19:46:26 pm »
Hi Tom also has 3 naps a day and is on 4 hr easy. Im really lucky as he sleeps 12 hrs at night (he does wake but hes easy to settle :D ) but as hes never needed much sleep (at 4 weeks he only use to hane 14 hrs sleep in 24!) so he only takes 45 min naps. This use to worry me as i was afraid of breaking the EASY rules :oops: but ive decided im luckyer than most and should just count my blessings! how much sleep do your LOs sleep in a 24 hr period?

I got loads of un asked for advice aswell, but moslly from my inlaws who believe on parenting on demand. i havent said anything as i dont want to upset them, everyone has there own ways of raising there kids, its just im too uptight to be able to go with the flow like they do!!! MIL babysitting tomorrow tho so Tom will get lots of on demand food and naps!! :wink:  :roll:  At least idont get loads of advice from strangers tho!!
Alison

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #492 on: November 18, 2005, 20:35:22 pm »
I'm sorry that I haven't answered posts about my situation.  I am so exahsted and busy that I seem to only get time to read everyones posts and jot a little something down so that you know that I'm not here just to 'get' advice.  We were going to start letting him fuss longer when he wakes at night and only going in when he starts crying and then not pucking him up just patting and shshing. 
Alison:  He too only seems to take 3 short naps.  I can usually get one to be 1.5 hours, but recently he has wanted that one to be his morning nap.  But on the other hand when he takes a short morning nap he is a grump until his next nap.  I am trying to get him to where his morning nap is about an hour and his late after noon nap 1.5-2 hours and then his mid day one just be a quicky to get him through.  But you are lucky that yours sleeps at night.   Mine doesn't.
Anyway,  We were going to work on everything but he got a really nasty cold.  In fact yesturday he took 2 2hour naps (one with help every 10 min the other with just one help at the 30min mark)  THen last night we put him to bed 30min early because he was just so tired (with the cold and all) but then he woke 30min later and I got him settled and he woke 10 min later and I got him settled and then he woke 2.5 hours later so I fed him. His poor little nose was SO stuffed up.  Then 2 hours after that I went and checked him because he hadn't woke.  He squirmed a little but I left to let him go back to sleep on his own.   Then 2 hours later I went back to check because he still hadn't woke.  I went in and he didn't move so I put my hand on him and didn't feel anything.  I put my hand back on him and shook him alittle and got no response (now mind you this is a baby that will wake from a deep deep sleep with just a creek of a board or opening of a door).  So I shook him again and nothing.  So I did again and nothing.  So I yelled for my husband and flipped on the light.  As soon as I did this he woke up (not completely though) so I turned off the light and put the paci in and sat with him.  I then put him back and he went right to sleep.  The paci fell out and I was so shook up I made him take it back so that I could see that he was sucking.  This woke him again and so when I couldn't get him resettled for 5 min I fed him.  Then he slept for another 2.5 hours! 
I guess we will see what happens tonight and what happens after the cold goes away.  Of course then it's the holiday and we will be traveling.

So I will reply to everyone's posts when we pick up again.  Thanks again for everything.
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08

Offline jswerczek

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #493 on: November 19, 2005, 03:15:45 am »
Jennifer-  I think it's sweet that you DH doesn't want a night out... it's usually the mommy that has a hard time :) If he isn't ready than you should definately plan a night for yourself and do something special! He'll feel left out and want to do it too :lol:
Jennifer

Mom to Jake born 6-16-05 and Julia born 8-29-07

Offline daisymelan

June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #494 on: November 20, 2005, 14:02:02 pm »
Jennifer:  That's awesome.  Get out and I'm sure he'll follow next time!  lol

Just wanted to let you all know that Owen went his first night with only waking up once!!!  Well, he woke for his DF around 10ish, but then didn't wake again unitl 3:30!!  Oh my!!!!!! 

Also, and update on the formula.  I was able to pump 2oz and we mixed it with 3/4oz of formula.  It took a little convincing but DH was able to give him the entire bottle, and then I topped him up.  Do you think maybe it was the formula???  We did the bottle feed for his DF.

I'm not gloating, just wanted to share my good news.  Hopefully if all goes well, next weekend I will be heading out to do some major dancing!

Big hugs and a happy sunny Sunday to you all!

Jodie