Author Topic: Support and Chat thread for parents of Early Waking Toddlers #2  (Read 281302 times)

Offline marlowsmom

• Sharon
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: Support and Chat thread for parents of Early Waking Toddlers #2
« Reply #240 on: October 25, 2010, 20:34:07 pm »
I tried "prepping" Marlow for the DST last year.   All we ended up with was NW and EW.    Just leave it alone for now and when the change does happen adjust her eating schedule and it will eventually fall into place.   It isn't going to be magical or happen over night and you may not ever achieve your desired result but just do your best to ride out the DST.   

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #241 on: October 26, 2010, 02:12:54 am »
Oh hugs girls...
I’m so glad we don’t have Daylight savings in this state!!! Sorry you have to deal with a 4am Wakeup xxxx

Well... I've ruled out hunger for EWs! I gave him a late dinner last night (like the night before) when he slept in for the first time in 2months and he woke at 5.30am...better than 5am! Anyway the monkey isn't "in to" breakfast right now? So if he was hungry I’m guessing he would wolf down breaky right? Oh IDK!  :-\

I think your right Wendy, it's just the way it is. B knows how to self settle and wakes quite happy and chats and plays and whinges when no one comes to get him. I always leave him until 6am anyway...Yawwwnnn - my eyes sting!

IDK about you girls but to me having a spirited toddler is harder than a spirited baby! lol ::)
*Alice*

Offline essexlemon

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #242 on: October 26, 2010, 09:04:42 am »
At this moment in time DH is as big a problem as the DST.  We've tried in the past to push him forward for a later wake up but it caused problems but once he adjusts himself to the new times DH will use this as ammo for the idea that we can shunt him forward some more.

Wierdly, we tried shunting him yesterday and he woke up a lot later BUT extremely tired and tantrum prone - we had our first serious tantrum (over 15 minutes) and DH had the hump that I put him down early due to OT.  He also refused to nap.

I'm all for giving up on preparing him for the DST and just riding the storm when it comes but DH isn't keen.  In the spring he adjusted himself without any interference from me - I was all set for a nice lay-in and he just woke at his normal time and continued as if nothing had happened :(
 Don't think we will be that lucky this time.

The only good thing is that despite being an EW tot (5am most days sometimes a wee bit earlier), DS does go through the night now (he was undiagnosed reflux as a baby so massive issues for over a year) so I'm inclined to count my blessings and not go mucking up what's good about his sleeping - but then DH doesn't have to deal with nap times!
My husband is running 13.1 miles in the Great North Run in memory of my brother. Please can you help us raise funds for the Cardiomyopathy Association in his memory?
https://www.justgiving.com/RichardDahler/

Offline marlowsmom

• Sharon
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #243 on: October 26, 2010, 11:25:47 am »
Alice How did you get a Facebook link next to your Lilypie?

« Reply #244 on: October 27, 2010, 02:45:13 am »
Ohhh Sharon you did it! I was just about to add the link, did Kim help you? She's awesome! ;D

BTW we had our 2nd "sleep in" this morning...6.45am! Yay for me, i still woke at 5am ready to get up and make mysekf a coffee and DS's milk, but not a wink so i wasted a good 1 3/4 of sleep time... ::)
*Alice*

Offline marlowsmom

• Sharon
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #245 on: October 27, 2010, 11:46:55 am »
I stumbled onto the thread where she is cutting and pasting other peoples badges.    She is super awesome.   

I got a treat today too and was able to sleep in until 6am!   So very nice since she's been a solid 530 early riser and sometimes earlier than that.   

« Reply #246 on: October 31, 2010, 03:18:15 am »
Essexlemon, sorry I have no experience with DLS as our state (Qld) doesn't have DLS.

Ok so get this!!! Yesterday B only slept 40mis all day!!! He woke crying so I did WIWO and he was restless but settled but never went back to sleep. He must have had an upset belly because on the 3rd WIWO I could smell a pooey nappy. At that stage it was 1.30pm so I got him up and changed his very expolisive and gross nappy, we had relatives staying and they were noisy plus we had a 1st Bday party at 2.30pm anyway. After the party, dinner then bath he was ready for bed at 630, was asleep by 6.45... He STTN until 7.40am!!!!  :oWT! What do you guys think this means? Anyone?
Maybe 2 hours day sleep is cutting into his night sleep, the problem is is he was quite irritable by 5pm - which is understandable. I guess when I add up his total sleep over a 24hr period it worked out the same. Long night plus short day nap is the same as shorter night with a longer day nap.
So I think I'm going to start capping his day nap at 1 1/2 hours. WDYT?
*Alice*

Offline marlowsmom

• Sharon
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #247 on: October 31, 2010, 12:05:27 pm »
Give it a shot for a few days and see if it improves his sleep.    The worst that can happen is he continues to wake early.   

Offline KatieandThomas

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #248 on: October 31, 2010, 19:22:51 pm »
Hey

I haven't gone through every post so apologies if this has been answered. Firstly what is WI/WO?

My son is approaching 20 months and we are approaching our 4th week of VERY early mornings. I have tried later bedtimes, earlier bedtimes. Hotter baths, deeper baths. For about a week I had a fight to get him to sleep but he is now so tired even he doesn't have the energy to fight. He has one nap a day for 1-2 hours at late morning. Has done since he was about 1. At the moment he wakes at 4 and that's it! Will not have any of it. I have tried going in to put him to bed but he chases me out of the room, bathroom light on so it isn't totally dark. He has a stair gate at his door and all his toys up there so plenty to entertain himself. I have left a thing of water in his room for when he wakes and nothing! I do believe he has some teeth coming through as he does eat his hand, but this sleep fiasco has been going on too long to be solely teeth surely? I don't think I can cope with many more 4am starts. I am a single mum with a full time job and it's killing me. My house work is slowly getting more and more as i don't have the energy to do it which really irritates me!

Any suggestions greatly received. I will try anything.

Apologies for not reading through everyone's posts but I'm struggling that much I really don't think I have any advice that would help anyone.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #249 on: October 31, 2010, 21:09:07 pm »
We were doing ok with 7ish wu until DST! 5.55am this morning. We only really started sleeping in after we were down to 1.5hr one nap a day. Be careful it isn't a one off Alice and he gets Ot but maybe cut the 2hr nap and see? After 5.55wu K fell asleep at 9am and slept 2hrs and then was asleep by 6.30 this evening. I know he will be up early in the morning but luckily DH is working late tomorrow so has agreed to get up with him and then he can sleep later.

« Reply #250 on: October 31, 2010, 21:43:53 pm »
great Sharon! I will!

Hey Ksma, true! I was thinking the same thing. I capped his nap at 1 hour and 40 mins then dragged his BT out a tad so he was actually asleep by 7.25pm. I woke him at 7am!
I want to do this for a few days and keep a close eye on OT signs...

Hey KT, WIWO means walk inwalk out, it's a settling method used for LOs that have learnt how to self settle already but may have experienced a hick up in their sleeping. Sorry I'm using my iPhone and I can't paste the link ATM.
You said your DS chases you out of the room? Is he already in a BBD? I can imagine if my son had a big boy bed he would do the same.
*Alice*

Offline marlowsmom

• Sharon
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #251 on: October 31, 2010, 22:31:46 pm »
Katie,
This link will give you lots of info
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=80750.0

Can you post your LO schedule so we can see what his day looks like.     Post something like this
Awake:
Nap:
Bed:
Post any night wakings.   How long and when they happen.

Offline KatieandThomas

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #252 on: November 02, 2010, 20:20:42 pm »
Hey

Thomas generally at the moment wakes at 4am. He wakes screaming and yelling for me. I leave him a bit and then go in and put him into bed and say the same words as at bed time, night night sweetdreams love you lots. This goes on for 2 hours as he used to get up between 6-630 so I don't let hime come out of his room until 6. He then goes to childminders in the morning and she doesn't allow him to sleep until about 11 at the earliest and for no more than 1.5hrs but this can vary from 40mins to 1.5. That's him for sleep until bed time. Bath at 6pm then into his room to get ready for bed, straight into bed and I give him his milk while reading a story and leave him to finish his milk. This used to work no problem and straight to sleep when he finished his milk

He now can take up to 1.5hrs to stop crying and fall asleep. He does some nights wake in the night as well. He has always been an amazing baby and always slept through and gone to bed no fuss, just the odd short hic up but this has been going on for far too long. I have tried later bath times, deeper baths, hotter baths, shallower baths, horlicks in his milk. Please I will take any advice and try it all. I am a single Mum and this is slowly wearing me down and am having to take days off work to re-coup it's ridiculous

Thank you for reading xxx

Offline marlowsmom

• Sharon
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #253 on: November 03, 2010, 02:34:56 am »
Why will she cut his nap at 1.5 hours?   Are there other children that she has to care for?

Offline KatieandThomas

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #254 on: November 03, 2010, 05:36:53 am »
No it's what I've asked for as I just feel I am going backwards, he has only had one nap a day for a good while now, the likely hood of her having to do it is very slim now as he won't sleep much longer than that