Author Topic: Support and Chat thread for parents of Early Waking Toddlers #2  (Read 281294 times)

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Re: Support and Chat thread for parents of Early Waking Toddlers #2
« Reply #255 on: November 04, 2010, 02:41:20 am »
KatieThomas - is he in a cot or BBB?
*Alice*

Offline KatieandThomas

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #256 on: November 04, 2010, 20:57:31 pm »
He's in a big bed and there is a stair gate on his door

Offline essexlemon

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #257 on: November 20, 2010, 12:03:08 pm »
KT I'm so sorry you're having such a rotten time.  I don't think I can be much help as we've struggled with all sorts of issues with DS and sleeping and EW is the one thing I haven't been able to straighten out.

The only thought I did have was, has he been in a big boy bed for very long - is that when his EW started?

DS's teething does last for very long periods at a time (around 3 months per set - his teeth seem to come in pairs) so it could be teething, even over a long period. 

I'm not all that up on BBB's as DS is still ok in his cot, but could it be that he is waking because there are toys in the room so it's worth waking to play?  Is it worth taking the toys out of the bedroom for a period of time to see if it helps? This is just my gut feeling mind - it's not based on anything I've read in Tracy's books so treat it as potentially bad advice until someone else confirms that'd be ok.

Sorry I'm not more help.
My husband is running 13.1 miles in the Great North Run in memory of my brother. Please can you help us raise funds for the Cardiomyopathy Association in his memory?
https://www.justgiving.com/RichardDahler/

Offline Finn's mommie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #258 on: November 23, 2010, 00:33:37 am »
Hi, just read a lot of these posts. I come on here whenever I can, which isn't much recently as I'm working full time and have EW every day so I'm really tired every night! Finn is almost 15mos. I've always had EW with Finn, from 5 to 6. Then every now and again he sleeps in until 7 and we get so excited, then it's back to 5! Currently since DST it's 5:30, we were doing so well before DST! Anyway it's sort of nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem,so many of my friends have to wake their babies!! He currently has about 2 hrs 15 mins. hrs daytime sleep, is that too much do you think? Or is it too little and he's OT?? I just don't know.

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #259 on: November 23, 2010, 01:32:05 am »
I hate those people who have to wake their babies lol. When my friends tell me that I often think 'I need new friends' lol

It's hard and you are in good company here, from one mummy of a Finn to another...
The tweaking never stops!

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #260 on: November 28, 2010, 08:25:31 am »
I hate those people who have to wake their babies lol. When my friends tell me that I often think 'I need new friends' lol
too funny xx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline marlowsmom

• Sharon
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #261 on: December 12, 2010, 02:11:35 am »
Hello Ladies,
It's been a long time since I've been here but it's time I face facts that Marlow is a EW Toddler.   She's  been taking wonderful 2 or 2.5 hour naps but no matter what time she goes to bed she still wakes at 530 or 6am at best.     So I'm here to join the party.

Offline lilalley

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #262 on: December 29, 2010, 03:57:03 am »
What would it feel like to wake at 8am?  I can't remember.  I don't even set my alarm clock for work.  I know dd will wake me at 5am.  That gives me at least 2.5 hours to get ready...watch a movie... write a novel... etc.

I hate when my friends (they also have kids) ask me if I want to go out.  I get so sick of leaving everyplace by 10pm because I know (for sure)
that it will be an early morning.

SIGH

Offline essexlemon

« Reply #263 on: December 29, 2010, 13:53:59 pm »
There was a comedian on telly last night complaining that when you have kids you have to be up at 6.30 and I was like 'What? 6.30 would be a lay-in!'

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I'm not going to jiggle DS's routine though while he is sleeping through.  EW's are a hell of a lot easier to cope with than extended NW's in my experience.

Love your laundry pick BTW.
My husband is running 13.1 miles in the Great North Run in memory of my brother. Please can you help us raise funds for the Cardiomyopathy Association in his memory?

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #264 on: December 29, 2010, 21:42:11 pm »
Well I can tell you it does get better when a) not teething and b) when they grow more into their A times and routine.  But for kids prone to EW any teething, illness or change in routine will bring it back again.  And some kids are just EW until they learn the great art of going back to sleep when they wake - that comes with age and development.  Even with non-EW kids 8 am is pretty far off - most toddlers are ready for bed before 8 pm and not many do more than 11 hours if they still have a nap.  In fact I can only think of one LO on the board who sleeps until 8 or later and he's over 2 and has a later bedtime most nights - like after 9 pm. So it's about adjusting expectations.

It's very hard to live with waking at 5:30 - you really have to change your life, your own sleep patterns and habits and it is a total lifestyle change.  The thing you try to remember in all of this is that it us temporary - some day in the not too distant future they will either change it up OR be old enough to self-entertain for at least an extra hour in the morning.

Have either if you ladies tried lights on a timer or a Gro-clock device or similar?

Offline essexlemon

« Reply #265 on: December 30, 2010, 13:03:59 pm »
I think DS is probably still a bit too young to 'get' the concept of a timer or similar.  It's frustrating because he usually wakes up quite grumpy and initially he does make all the right noises to let me know he is trying to resettle - he just seems to have just that little bit too much sleep behind him if he wakes after 4 (his usual wake up is around 5am and he seems tired and irritable - if we get a 6am start out of him he is much more cheerful but it's rare for him to wake that late I'm afraid).  Like I say though, after the run we've had lately (reflux flare-up and an ear infection) I'm just glad to be getting some night sleep.

My little brother was a late sleeping baby - went down for the night at 5.30 and was up around 8am - but then I didn't sleep at all until I was 3 so it had to even out somehow!  After hearing the horror stories about my wake-ups I don't resent her telling me about his dream routine.

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #266 on: January 28, 2011, 15:26:16 pm »
Feeling blue about EW.  Just want to cry, scream and vent.  When my kid gonna sleep....when?!  He's nearly 2.

Ahhh much better now lol

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #267 on: January 29, 2011, 03:00:55 am »
Oh Wendy! That sux!!! ((((Hugs))))

*Alice*

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #268 on: January 29, 2011, 11:09:56 am »
Yeah it does.  Another weekend, another day of him awake before 6.  Just thought it might get better after ear tubes and teeth being in.  Gro-clock has stopped having any meaning - he just calls out now, alternating 'mommy' and 'daddy' until the sun comes on.

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #269 on: January 29, 2011, 12:40:30 pm »
wendy we are getting this too with the clock. this am it was 45 mins of shouting 'mummy'
grates on the nerves to say the least!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!