Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8  (Read 66574 times)

Offline Kimberlina

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2011, 19:01:48 pm »
ALSO, don't forget about this thread! http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=178221.new#new   It seems I'm the only one going for it there! :(
♥ Kim

Offline Hester

• Showing Appreciation 28
  • Welcome to fall ;)
    • My Usana site
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2011, 03:03:38 am »
ok thanks!!! I think I'll start with carrots, sweet potatoe, squash, avocado those kind of things.
I tend to introduce veggies first, then the rest. I know you can mix and match, but we have some sensitivities in the family and so far my kids are ok. Except for a lactose intolerance, so I am sticking to the introducting for three days and then a next one.

I am SO excited to start and I think Noah is soooo ready, but I am waiting for his shots. He is getting his shots this next week (15th) and he is so crappy from that, I don't think I want to mix that with starting solids...

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2011, 08:23:23 am »
Oh I've been MIA for a while, lots of new faces!

Lots of photos here to enjoy:

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=178354.0

Hi Zoë, my LO is 8.5mo too and a habitual spitter! Food gets sucked to death and expelled, some is going down though as it appears out the other end! I'm trying to figure out if he needs smaller pieces to swallow or bigger bits to suck! He is quite funny though as he'll stick his tongue out until whatever he is done with drops off!

Hi Hester, that BLW book is excellent.

I've never done the 'introduce one food at a time' policy with either baby. S was a pig and gobbled every item put in front of her, except egg. J has been a much bigger challenge, I'm taking it slow with dairy as I've suspected a dairy intolerance since he was 11 weeks. I'm adding more and more now though, I ate cheese for a few weeks (he got quite bunged up) now he's eating cheese. I'm starting on yogurt, but he's bunged up again. It's a good job he likes prunes!!!

Amy that's scary about the choking, but we're all capable of getting something down the wrong hole, it just shows they need to be watched all the time while eating! Saying that we were away last week and J got hungry so I was passing back chunks of rice cake for him to nibble on! He's still in his baby car seat so not ideal, but it kept him quiet!

As for what age to start 6mo is the 'guideline' It's when most babies are developmentally able to 'eat' In the book it compares the signs of readiness between BLW and spoon feeding, for BLW they need to be able to get things in their mouth and are able to sit with support! If I waited until J could sit unaided he still wouldn't be on solids!

We've started giving J raisins, another theory is if they're able to pick it up then they're able to cope with it! Like the book says if you put a raisin in front of a newborn it wouldn't have a clue! J still sucks and spits a raisin out though!

Amy J throws food off his high chair when he doesn't want it! It's no accident, he just chucks it off! We had throwing issues with S for AGES, ignoring is the best course but VERY hard (and messy) to do!
 Manners and rules change as they discover cause and effect. S currently enjoys making hand prints with her food and sticking her tongue out covered in half masticated pulp! Both habits are strongly discouraged. Oh using her drink as a hand wash is another annoying habit ::) She hates sticky hands though, the mentality of a 2.5yo is a difficult one to master!!!!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline Kimberlina

« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2011, 09:05:53 am »
Very exciting, Hester! Hope the jabs go ok!

I never did introduce-one-at-a-time either, because J is a piggy too and eats EVERYTHING. Even eggs! I've not come across something he WON'T eat, yet!  We don't have a lot of intolerances in our family, so I felt comfortable doing it that way. DH is allergic to peanuts, so I'm careful not to give anything with trace peanuts yet, and DH & my mum are a bit lactose intolerant, but J seems to be just fine with it!

I bought loads of purees when they were on offer before J was weaned, and I'm just starting to use them! I'm using them as a sauce for pasta or rice. If it's fruity, then as a spread for toast! It's going down a treat!
♥ Kim

Offline zoeselina

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • ZoeSelina.com
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2011, 17:39:01 pm »
This might be a stupid question, but how do you do BLW with yoghurt? Do you just let them go crazy messy? Ella can't handle a spoon on her own, even with just a little dip. She just gets it everywhere but her mouth. She also doesn't like sticky fingers and wipes them on everything. I'm trying to be brave about the mess, but I struggle when it comes to flinging and smearing liquidy stuff like yoghurt.
Zoë

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2011, 19:08:43 pm »
We just didn't give runny foods to DD! It was my child minder that introduced yogurt, she was more relaxed about the mess!

You could try putting a little in a bowl and giving her a spoon with a little on, she may try a put the spoon in the bowl. Or you could just wait a little longer!!!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline Kimberlina

« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2011, 19:10:58 pm »
Um, I preload the spoon and let him grab it and shove it in his mouth - that way, if anything else - it's consensual!! If we strain the yoghurt longer and it's thick like cheese, I let him go for it...

AH! He's eating yoghurt for breakfast on my avatar! With cheerios & a grape...
♥ Kim

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2011, 21:53:29 pm »
Zoë I love your avatar, I have an almost identical picture of DD!

Kim have you added an i to your name?

I'm thinking of trying some some cereal on J tomorrow, maybe shredded wheat soaked in oat milk, he's getting more fussy by the day! But hey, still no teeth, so maybe he's thinking about sprouting one soon!!!!!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline Kimberlina

« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2011, 09:06:20 am »
I added some Spanish exclamation marks! ¡Arriba!
♥ Kim

Offline 2wantedpls

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2011, 08:18:25 am »
Do u have to wait until exactly 6 months to blw? Or can you start say at 5 1/2 months?

Offline 2wantedpls

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2011, 08:28:34 am »
Sorry don't worry I just read the rest of this thread!!! Lol

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2011, 09:27:08 am »
Welcome, I know you've read back but this is all you need

for BLW they need to be able to get things in their mouth and are able to sit with support!

We started DD at 24 weeks, just had her sat in our lap to start with as she was too small and got lost in the high chair. Plus it's easier to help them out if they choke at all. DD struggled once with a bit of carrot but figured it out after that.

Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline 2wantedpls

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2011, 19:25:10 pm »
Great, thanks. Did you sit her up the table before hand just to observe ? I guess I will need to do this to stArt with breakfast and lunch as we have dinner after he goes to bed at the moment.

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2011, 03:25:19 am »
No. She probably sat in our laps while we ate, but I never put her in her chair to watch us. I think mostly she would just roll around on the floor while we ate.

We never started with 'meals' either. She wouldn't have solids until after her first nap. Bf first then solids about 11ish, then again in the afternoon.

DS hasn't been quite as easy, we just offered him as and when. DD got food immediately eating every morsel put in front of her. DS cried after his first solids and the first few weeks were difficult, but he's getting there now, slowly! Don't be surprised what end of the scale your LO lies, it really is a lottery!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2011, 18:54:05 pm »
Hi to all the new faces!  Just a quick update- I have been trying to teach T sign language. So when he starts to rip off his bib, I grab his hand and do the all done sign with him and clap.  Then I take off his bib, and take him out of his chair.  He occasionally does the more sign- although I think that maybe just him playing with his hands haha!  The food dropping off thing is definately a sign that he is either done, or doesn't like that food.  At my mom's, his booster seat has some room next to him, and he just makes a tidy little pile on the seat lol!  Also- he is finally starting to share his food with me.  I guess he is finally sure he will get plenty to eat!  When he is done eating, he'll offer it to me rather than drop it on the floor.  Too funny these babies! ::)