Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8  (Read 66082 times)

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 8
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2011, 16:59:50 pm »
Hi girls, I am thinking of starting BLW with my DD so wondered if I could join you all for some advice and ideas please? We have so far done a mixture of purees and finger foods but she has never been keen on solids unless it is fruit or yoghurt or anything sweet really! She seems to do a bit better with finger foods and certainly likes to be in control so thought BLW might be the way to go. Will read along if that is ok?

Offline jakobsmommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2011, 21:32:51 pm »
I thought the point of BLW was that they ate the same as we do???????

i dont make special meals for Jakob, may have prepared it a bit differently (ie thick fingers instead of small chunks) initially.

I think one of his 1st meals was meatballs, just chopped it in half and he sucked, chewed and threw and enjoyed it.  Its been a while since i read the book but im sure it stresses that 'food is fun before theyre 1' and milk remains the main bulk of their diet and nutrients.

i think bananas were problematic when he got his 1st teeth as hed bite big chunks, but as long as you are close enough to step in i tend to leave him to work it out....but i appreciate it can be worrying if its your 1st, some of my friends thought i was completely mad, but im so glad we did BLW :)

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2011, 21:44:55 pm »
and onigiri (Japanese rice ball snack - homemade).

hi milas_mum! whats your recipe for this? tia!

Megan

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2011, 22:21:45 pm »
Welcome Milas_mum and Bex.
I thought the point of BLW was that they ate the same as we do???????

It is, but in the very early days you have to do them different things to eat if what you're eating is inappropriate. Say if we have curry with rice then we would do some veg for DS as he can't manage rice yet and he gets bored very quickly so needs a variety of tastes.

Well it appears J is eating just fine. Had him weighed today and he's gained 2lb 6oz in five weeks :o He has suddenly started eating more, there is less being spat out just now. Tonight we had fish and chips, J enjoyed peas (cooked for him and S) fish cake, sausage, a few chips and a pot of fromage Frais. In fact he got angry at me not feeding that too him fast enough! Then he figured out he wanted to do it so would grab the spoon off me, suck it clean then throw it at me for more!
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline Mama Kate

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Aussie mum of 2 sweet girls
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2011, 23:26:24 pm »
Hi Megan - the onigiri is really simple.  I just cook up one cup of Japanese sticky rice in the rice cooker, then when it's done I mix in a mixture of shredded seaweed and sesame seeds (I buy this in a packet from the Japanese section at the supermarket).  I scoop a small amount into some cling wrap and roll it into a small baby-sized hand roll before rolling onto some nori (seaweed) paper to cover the outside.  I keep it in the fridge and give it to her cold straight from the fridge.  I also make it for myself but I make bigger triangle shaped snacks so we can eat it together.

Seaweed is supposed to be high in minerals and vitamins but I have noticed it does soften up her poos nicely so I only give her onigiri every few days or when her poop gets a little bit hard.
Kate

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2011, 19:16:41 pm »
Hi Mila's Mummy (sorry, love! Don't know your name yet!) - that sounds a great recipe! It sounds very much like a regular sushi roll - and DH and I LOVE sushi!

I don't know that I would have given him the nori as well, but thanks for the heads up on the benefits! I'm excited to try that now!

Do you add the vinegar/sugar like for making sushi rice?
♥ Kim

Offline Mama Kate

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2011, 23:00:53 pm »
Hi Kim - my name is Kate.  I don't add any vinegar/sugar to the rice.  If you use the right type of rice there's no need.

Today we are going to try out noodles.  Mila is fascinated by any type of cord at the moment (including electrical cords - eek) so I'm hoping she'll like them.  I'm going to toss them in a veggie puree to try to get some more nutritional value into them, and to use up all those purees in my freezer ;)
Kate

Offline Mama Kate

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2011, 00:09:43 am »
Can anyone give me some new ideas for easy (preferably no-cook) breakfasts?  I have been giving Mila fruit and trying to get some cereal in when I can with a spoon.  I used to have much more luck but now she won't let me get away with it.  I have tried dry cereal on the tray but she hasn't yet developed the pincer grip so she has quite a bit of trouble picking it up and actually getting it into her mouth.

On a separate topic, do BLW babies learn to use a spoon okay when they are a bit older?  I'm worried that she'll always want to finger-feed (like when she's 15 months) but friends' babies who are that age can feed themselves with a spoon.
Kate

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2011, 00:27:38 am »
Actually at 11mo my DD is way better than DS was at 11mo with a spoon.  She is BLW he was not.  By letting them feed themselves with their hands, I think they develop better coordination of hand to mouth.  At this point DD feeds herself well with a spoon and really makes no mess.  Today she was scooping her oatmeal out of the dish herself.  Before today, I would just preload the spoon and she would hand it back.   It was perfect practice for signing more and thank you.

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2011, 00:30:22 am »
Oh-forgot to say, just keep giving the dry cereal.  They develop the pincer grasp really quickly when they are ket to practice.  I think DD had it totally under control by 7mo (we started BLW a week before she was 6mo)

Sorry-no better answer.  If I don't give cereal, I have to cook something.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2011, 00:56:16 am »
On a separate topic, do BLW babies learn to use a spoon okay when they are a bit older?  I'm worried that she'll always want to finger-feed (like when she's 15 months) but friends' babies who are that age can feed themselves with a spoon.
There's nothing wrong will still using hands at 15mos, and all of them learn to use a spoon eventually.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2011, 09:17:43 am »
Thanks Kate!

And for breakfasts, there was a similar thread a while back: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=186379.msg2135685#msg2135685

I do a lot of toast & yoghurt for J (we make our own yoghurt). I wonder, could you make a batch of pancakes/waffles/french toast and then freeze? Pop it in the toaster to reheat?

With cutlery, in the past I would load the spoon and hold it up to him for him to grab and put in his mouth... but he'll chew on it the rest of the meal, so I have to take it back myself. I've only just started putting it in the bowl  for him to grab out and feed himself...but it is a bit messy! 

I read...somewhere!... that forks were a bit easier for babies to use (if appropriate! ie, not for soup,etc!) because "spearing" is easier than scooping, and I think they have a point (no oun intended! HA! Fork?! Point?! nevermind...). I'm going to get J some better forks that aren't SO blunt that you can't get anything with them and try that... though he is still extremely distracted by them...
♥ Kim

Offline Mama Kate

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2011, 12:46:16 pm »
Thanks Kim - I think I'll try making up some pancakes and freezing them.  I hadn't thought of freezing that type of thing.

Noodles today got Mila very excited.  She had a great time dangling them and shaking them but didn't actually eat much.  Might try again once she has teeth and can chew them a little more easily.

I'll try preloading a spoon too.  I have the same problem as you though - once she gets the spoon she just chews on that and doesn't eat anything, so I have to wrestle it away from her so she will actually eat. 

Can I also ask how do you BLW when you go out, like to a restaurant?  I am fine with Mila eating off her tray at home but not sure I would like her to do that in a restaurant high-chair that probably isn't as clean as at home.
Kate

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2011, 21:58:50 pm »
Kate~ I have a Kiddopotomus Tiny Dinner place mat. It suctions to the table and has a little food trap. It wipes down easily and it roll sup and fits in your bag. I have used it with both kids and I absolutly love it for eating out! Not sure if they have them where you live, but google them!
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2011, 22:00:14 pm »

I'll try preloading a spoon too.  I have the same problem as you though - once she gets the spoon she just chews on that and doesn't eat anything, so I have to wrestle it away from her so she will actually eat. 

I started with 2 spoons.  That way she could give herself a bite and chew on the spoon, but I had one to reload.  She got the idea pretty quickly that when the spoon is empty it is not as good as one with food.  Now she just gives it back for more.

I do pancakes and waffles on the weekends and freeze them for the week.  I do a lot of eggy toast, but I make that fresh every time. That with some fruit and you are good to go

Posted while Lisa did...we have the same plates and the kids really do like them, but, Ry's highchair has a rough surface and it does not stick quite as well