Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4  (Read 65753 times)

tigerlilly905

Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2012, 18:21:54 pm »
Congrats on many levels Ali! :) Your boys are so fortunate to have a mama so dedicated to Bf'ing!!  See you in a few months when you're back with Colby. :-*

We're on our way to passing the 2 yr nursing mark for Ds1.. he'll be 2 next month. No signs of stopping here :)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2012, 18:47:28 pm »
:D Ali :-* Great way to end BF with a gentle wean.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2012, 23:38:07 pm »
Ladies I have a question for you. For those of you who were still BF LO1 when LO2 is born, what happens with your milk? Does it still come in as such? Does your LO2 get colostrum? Wasn't sure where to post but figured anyone who would know may be on here ;)
***Sara***

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2012, 00:36:15 am »
Have you seen the pg and bf sticky on here. Think that has some good info somewhere too. Yes the milk comes in still or at least mine did. The body just keeps making colostrum in later pg until the hormones change after birth so yes dc2 will get colostrum.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2012, 00:38:10 am »
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 00:39:54 am by Khalam's Mama »

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2012, 03:40:10 am »
Haha KM you must have missed my thread in P&C I'm 5 weeks pregnant ;) :D - and a little scared smiley too to go with it. Thanks for the link hun
***Sara***

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2012, 11:58:36 am »
I missed it! Congrats.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2012, 18:36:02 pm »
***Sara***

Offline samIam

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2012, 07:27:26 am »
I'm new to this thread and looking for any advice.

Have any of you extended nurses had trouble getting your LO to drink anything else? My sweet stubborn DS is 15mo and refuses to drink any water or milk. He stopped drinking EBM from a bottle at 5mo. Since then, he only BF. We've tried introducing sippy cups and straw cups, but he hasn't taken to any of them. I think the cup is the issue, since we have offered EBM in a cup and he still refuses. He just loves the comfort of the boob. He still BF 4 times a day, since I'm worried about dehydration. However, I will be returning to work in a couple months and would like to get down to just morning and BT BF. If I gradually wean the daytime feeds (don't offer, don't refuse), do you think he'll get thirsty enough to accept other liquids in a cup?

Offline katyusha

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2012, 09:14:11 am »
I reckon, it is easier to not mess with the BF feeds but start the cup with water or juice consistently at mealtimes and make it fun but not stressful. BTDT. Stress was def. bad and needed patience. It took M about a month to get the cup, and then formula was slow, but now he takes 4 oz no plroblem, even if not from me. (i dud not persevere, now have not tried, he probably would now). One thing I recall was don't put expressed milk in a cup, because it is worth its weight in gold so can't be relaxed enough watching a baby spill it everywhere or chuck the cup.
Best of luck!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2012, 01:00:15 am »
We've tried introducing sippy cups and straw cups, but he hasn't taken to any of them. I think the cup is the issue, since we have offered EBM in a cup and he still refuses.
I totally agree with Kate..I just consistantly offered a suppy from ~7 months old and by 10 months Z was drinking a ton of water from sippy's and straw cups..it takes time, but they do get it eventually. I too have never offered EBM in a cup to be honest and I dont think I will. He drinks a ton of water now all through the day though so it does eventually work.
***Sara***

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2012, 21:52:45 pm »
I consistently offered a cup with solids but it was only at 13mo that K started drinking when I returned to work. If I wasn't there he just accepted it.

Offline mumto5cuddlebugs

• Showing Appreciation 50
  • me and littlest cuddlebug
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2012, 11:06:33 am »
Hi, wondered if anyone has any thoughts or ideas that could help me. My 12month dd has started refusing feeds, i feed her am and pm and she refused her pm feed the day before yesterday, i put it down to her having a big dinner. But she is still refusing. She did not want a feed yesterday pm and this morning she fed very happily on one side but then refused the other and became really upset about it. I don't get it  :-\

This is unusual for Fae, she has never refused feeds before, and she is getting extremely upset, and cross and agitated when i offer it and she doesn't want it. It is awful.  :'( She maybe teething but this hasn't happened before  :-\

Any ideas? It is usually such a special time of day of our day but now i seem to be upsetting her  :'(
Kirsty x

Offline jlisenby19

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2012, 13:40:06 pm »
Hi - I'm mommy to DD, 20 months old, who is still BF. She was exclusively BF, then transitioned to whole milk easily. Nurses 2x daily (morning & bedtime). My question is concerning weaning - about a week ago, she started skipping the night time session on her own....but at the same time, she started waking 2-3x during the night, screaming.  Could this be related? As soon as we check on her & pick her up (or pat her) she's back to sleep. Usually, she slept through the night and, if not, only needed a quick pat. She never woke screaming regardless.  She is teething (canines) but that never resulted in screaming previously. Just wondered if this new series of night waking could be related to weaning. She is definitely going through developmental phases...started putting 4-5 words together, etc.  Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Jolie

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2012, 16:16:07 pm »
Jolie, I doubt it is down to weaning if she is choosing to skip it on her own. I think it is more likely something like teething is causing the refusal and the nws. It could be that suckling is uncomfortable due to her teeth cutting and that is why she isn't keen to nurse. The teeth could be the issue with the nws as well. My ds1 teethed easily until his canines then woke 5 nights in a week when he cut thosedevelopmental leaps can definitely cause nws too so you may just have to ride it out.

Kirsty personally I would keep offering if you don't want her to.wean but let her refuse as if you don't mind if that is what she wants. My ds1 went through stages of refusing for a week here and there but he came back to it. If your happy for her to wean though this may be a nice gentle way to do it.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011