Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4  (Read 65715 times)

Offline jlisenby19

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread part 4
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2012, 19:35:09 pm »
Hi everybody,

My 20 mo old DD started self weaning recently (from 2 down to 1 feed a day)...then quickly went for a week without BM.  But even though she initiated, she is now EXTREMELY clingy to me, throwing tantrums, etc....shows separation anxiety if I leave the room!  I feel awful as I'm not sure how to make her feel better. I'm offering tons of extra cuddles and activities, which works at the moment....but she is still adjusting, I guess. She won't even allow my husband to put her to bed...she cries for me :(

Because she self weaned, it was a little abrupt...so I'm feeling it, too.  sigh***

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2012, 21:55:24 pm »
Is it possible she wasn't weaning but it was a nursing strike for some reason or another?  I've read on kellymom.com and self-weaning is rarely abrupt.  Just pondering....
*** Amanda ***

Offline katyusha

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2012, 00:48:34 am »
What do you do for nursing strike?

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2012, 19:58:30 pm »
Have a look at this -> http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=89418.0 - there are loads of good ideas there :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline katyusha

« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2012, 23:44:58 pm »
Fellow nursing mums please advice. I want to go away for 4-5 days in mid April by myself without kids to see extended family. My worry is whether that will be the end of breastfeeding. Has anyone done such a long absence? Any advice?

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2012, 09:08:29 am »
I did Friday to Monday at 15mo and it was fine. I pumped 2x daily for stimulation even though I got nothing. I was pg at the time too so my supply wasn't great. K wanted to bf as soon as I got home but he has always been a boob monster. Are you worried about supply or self wean?

Offline katyusha

« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2012, 09:34:48 am »
Both! M is really happy to feed at the moment but I need to see grandparents and it is my lucky chance with DH taking a week off. Really don't want to give up yet!

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2012, 10:32:35 am »
I was worried too but it was ok.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2012, 10:37:21 am »
If you can pump it will hopefully keep the supply as it is the stimulation that keeps hormones.
I also remembered I was in hospital for 9days after ds2 and ds1 still went right back to bf ok.

Offline katyusha

« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2012, 12:53:49 pm »
Ok, that sounds promissing! Thank you so much for putting my mind at peace.

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2012, 20:27:56 pm »
Hi, I'm new to this thread and have a couple of questions about missing feeds/pumping.

DS currently just has a bf when he wakes in the morning, and then at BT, although I'll offer another 1/2 during the day if he's ill (especially upset stomach) and not eating/drinking much. From time to time, if I've had to miss the BT feed for whatever reason, I've pumped on my return home, and kept that in the freezer ready for the next time I miss one. However, I'm finding that I just can't pump very much any more, and I'm not sure if it's a supply issue or just that I struggle to get let-down with the pump? I used to be able to pump a full feed, but now I can only seem to get let-down if I'm simultaneously bf-ing DS from the other side, and even then I can't get more than 1oz at a time.

I now have a new weekly commitment which will mean missing the BT feed, so I'm wondering if it's still worth pumping for stimulation on those nights, even if I'm not getting anything? For those nights, I'm having to pump on 3-4 mornings a week (with DS's help!) to put in the cup which DH gives him at BT. He's not a fan of cow's milk and has never had formula so I don't see the point in offering that instead. So he only gets 3-4oz from the cup, but doesn't seem to need/want any more, so I'm assuming that's about the amount he's getting from me nowadays? But if I'm not pumping on those nights, will that affect my supply?

Also, I'm thinking of weaning the morning feed at some time before he turns 2, (only because at the moment there's not enough time for him to have that bf and a proper breakfast before going to his childminder 3 days per week, and we can't get him up any earlier because then his nap would be too late), so that would just leave the BT feed. I don't think I'd be able to pump at the BT feed as he's just too distracted by the pump and he needs to wind down and relax at that time! So then if I'm not pumping in the morning then I won't have any milk for him in the evening if I have to miss BT... And, on those nights, it could be 48h between feeds, iyswim? Would you suggest that I pump for stimulation on those nights, even if I still get nothing? I'm just hoping that by that time, he'll be happy with a BT snack/water/cow's milk, when I'm not around...

Also, a bit unconnected, but has anyone else experienced migraines around the start of your cycles for a few months after dropping feeds? That was my mum's theory for why I had a few after dropping the last daytime feed, is that quite common?

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2012, 20:43:51 pm »
I suspect that for that one day a week it probably won't be a problem.

And I've noticed I've been getting more headaches recently, but had put it down to not drinking enough water during the day recently.
*** Amanda ***

Offline katyusha

« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2012, 20:45:12 pm »
I am not in your exact situation as DS can take formula from DH, just not from me. And not always. However on the few nights in these last 2 weeks that I have missed the BT feed M ended up:
If he took the formula cup - sleeping STTN; or
If he took nothing-  sort of waking up around 11 pm and getting a feed that way or he had a really full feed in the morning.
I am still worried about leaving M for 5 nights in 2 weeks time. I no longer have a pump having broke every single one in the last few years. (even the manual pump - I left spare parts in the steriliser and forgot about it for a month and it all got mould! Horrible!)

tigerlilly905

« Reply #163 on: April 04, 2012, 01:21:19 am »
Could you possibly go in and dreamfeed him when you do go home? That would do nothing but help keep your supply going. :) 

Many women can't letdown for the pump. I find my pumping varies depending on my cycle. When it's close to AF time, I seem to pump less, so for me, it comes down to hormones. Are you by chance on any sort of hormonal contraceptives? I know of a few people who, for whatever reason, couldn't seem to pump very much once they started back on hormonal contraceptives.

I would still suggest trying to pump when you can to keep up the nipple stimulation. Have you looked into herbal galactagogues? Things like fenugreek can help with supply.

I can't say that I've had migranes, but I'm also tandem nursing a younger nursling, so my situation is quite different.

On that note, I figured out today we've been Bf'ing 748 days for Ds1, and tandem nursing Ds1 + Ds2 for 350 days! Woohoo!! I almost have 2 boys in the extended nursing club! Both are still going strong and showing no signs of weaning yet. :)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2012, 02:43:35 am »
The migraines could be hormonal if you find they're related to your cycle.  You might also look at other triggers at that time and try to avoid them (smells, food, drinking less, etc) or be proactive -- with migraines I find that if I catch them early and try some caffeine and ibuprofen they don't get as bad as they might. 

Nice work Rebecca!